Detroit Pistons 1989 Champions: Born to Be Bad

Rico

The Pistons were punks. Lambeer, Thomas. Mahorn, all of 'em - especially Rodman - the closet queen.

My favorite Pistons moment has to be 1987 Eastern Conference finals - Game 5 - when Parrish cold-cocked Lambeer right under the net in full view of the refs and didn't even draw a foul! Just ran downcourt and kept playing until the whistle blew - stopping play so Billy could pick himself up off the floor and they could mop up the blood. That's how much everyone hated Lambeer.

Second favorite has to be the same game - Pistons up by 1 - Larry stealing the inbounds pass from Thomas with less than 5 seconds left, then dishing it to DJ for the winning layup. Celtics go on to win series in 7. Sweet.

(I'm guessing Isiah was probably thinking more about kissing Magic Johnson than the inbounds pass.)

The Pistons were punks.  Lambeer, Thomas. Mahorn, all of 'em -  especially Rodman - the closet queen.

My favorite Pistons moment has to be 1987 Eastern Conference finals - Game 5 - when Parrish cold-cocked Lambeer right under the net in full view of the refs and didn't even draw a foul!  Just ran downcourt and kept playing until the whisle blew - stopping play so Billy could pick himself up off the floor and  they could mop up the blood.  That's how much everyone hated Lambeer.

Second favorite has to be the same game - Pistons up by 1 - Larry stealing the indounds pass from Thomas with less than 5 seconds left, then dishing it to DJ for the winning layup.  Celtics go on to win series in 7.  Sweet.

(I'm guessing Isiah was probably thinking more about kissing Magic Johnson than the inbounds pass.)

764859[/snapback]

At least they've maintianed their level of class right up to present. It has even spilled over into their fan base.

The Pistons were punks.  Lambeer, Thomas. Mahorn, all of 'em -  especially Rodman - the closet queen.

My favorite Pistons moment has to be 1987 Eastern Conference finals - Game 5 - when Parrish cold-cocked Lambeer right under the net in full view of the refs and didn't even draw a foul!  Just ran downcourt and kept playing until the whistle blew - stopping play so Billy could pick himself up off the floor and  they could mop up the blood.  That's how much everyone hated Lambeer.

Second favorite has to be the same game - Pistons up by 1 - Larry stealing the inbounds pass from Thomas with less than 5 seconds left, then dishing it to DJ for the winning layup.  Celtics go on to win series in 7.  Sweet.

764859[/snapback]

My favorite Pistons moments were when Jordan would illegally travel to the basket and get knocked down on his ass. :doh:

If you singled out the NBA players who would travel all the time, you'd have about 6 guys left. One of the reasons many people (myself included) are so disappointed in the NBA nowadays is because of their sloppy play, ignoring the fundamentals (passing, shooting, free throws), and the punk a** mentality of many of today's superstars.

If you singled out the NBA players who would travel all the time, you'd have about 6 guys left.  One of the reasons many people (myself included) are so disappointed in the NBA nowadays is because of their sloppy play, ignoring the fundamentals (passing, shooting, free throws), and the punk a** mentality of many of today's superstars.

764915[/snapback]

Agreed. And the downward spiral began with Michael Jordan. :doh:

If you singled out the NBA players who would travel all the time, you'd have about 6 guys left.  One of the reasons many people (myself included) are so disappointed in the NBA nowadays is because of their sloppy play, ignoring the fundamentals (passing, shooting, free throws), and the punk a** mentality of many of today's superstars.

764915[/snapback]

Agreed.

My favorite Pistons moment has to be 1987 Eastern Conference finals - Game 5 - when Parrish cold-cocked Lambeer right under the net in full view of the refs and didn't even draw a foul!  Just ran downcourt and kept playing until the whistle blew - stopping play so Billy could pick himself up off the floor and  they could mop up the blood.  That's how much everyone hated Lambeer.

Second favorite has to be the same game - Pistons up by 1 - Larry stealing the inbounds pass from Thomas with less than 5 seconds left, then dishing it to DJ for the winning layup.  Celtics go on to win series in 7.  Sweet.

764859[/snapback]

I'm with you on this, Sen. Punks and Thugs. Lambeer, Mahorn and Rodman. Limited talent, that's for sure.

Available November 14th

I am so all over this set! The greatest NBA team in the past 20 years finally getting some props. Can't wait to see Jordan get beaten like a dog again! :D

762692[/snapback]

Yeah, all hail the team that basically ruined basketball in America! <_<

Last time I checked, the Bulls won 6 Titles. That makes THEM the greatest team in the last 20 years.

Yeah, all hail the team that basically ruined basketball in America!  ;)

Last time I checked, the Bulls won 6 Titles.  That makes THEM the greatest team in the last 20 years.

768833[/snapback]

The Pistons beat the crap out of the Bulls for years until they got too old, then the NEW Jordan rules went into place & he got every call... so many tainted championships. Yes, Jordan and the Bulls basically did ruin basketball in America, all the schoolyard kids growing up to "cheat like Mike". Nice effort by the Pistons this decade trying to restore classic basketball basics and TEAM concept, but the damage has been done. :(

The Pistons beat the crap out of the Bulls for years until they got too old, then the NEW Jordan rules went into place & he got every call... so many tainted championships. Yes, Jordan and the Bulls basically did ruin basketball in America, all the schoolyard kids growing up to "cheat like Mike".  Nice effort by the Pistons this decade trying to restore classic basketball basics and TEAM concept, but the damage has been done. ;)

769360[/snapback]

Nice skewed view. I love the "they got old" BS. Isiah is 2 years older than Jordan and Dumars is the same age. The fact is, ol' Chuck Dailey outsmarted himself with guys like Bedford and Spider Salley and it took the Bulls a while to build a team around Jordan.

The Pistons were thugs and little more. It's too bad, because they had more than enough talent to win the right way. Guess that was too hard. The Bulls didn't cause the NBA to start allowing body checking and tackling while eliminating transition.