Bills sign TE CJ Leak To Practice Squad

Oh man...this just gets funnier.  The guy was a friggin secretary a week ago!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4097

761403[/snapback]

In his defense, he had a great career ahead of him before he blew out his knee. And then Fulmer and the Vols coaching staff decided to go with Erik Ainge/Brent Schaeffer and switched him out of the QB position.

Let's call him a project. That's what the PS is for.

I remember when he was coming out of high school, he was one of the top QB recruits in the country. He originally went to Wake Forest after Jim Caldwell promised his family that he'd give Chris a scholarship several years down the line. I think CJ transferred to Tennessee after Caldwell was fired.

Oh man...this just gets funnier.  The guy was a friggin secretary a week ago!

761403[/snapback]

To be fair, NCAA has rules on the number of coaches a team can have, so him working in the office and coaching as a "volunteer" is a great way to get around that. It's also a way to get into the "queue" as a coach should someone get fired/move/leave/whatever.

This is kind of a bizarre move. They liked him earlier in the summer, but not enough to invite him to training camp. Then you have the pick of a couple hundred players who just got waived, are in shape and went through an NFL training camp, but choose to bring in Leak instead?

:w00t:

This is kind of a bizarre move.  They liked him earlier in the summer, but not enough to invite him to training camp.  Then you have the pick of a couple hundred players who just got waived, are in shape and went through an NFL training camp, but choose to bring in Leak instead?

:w00t:

761580[/snapback]

True, but my observation is they really had no idea what they had at TE, and knew that Leak was six months to a year away. And they didnt know what they had in Royal until seeing him, didnt know if Everett was back from the injury, didnt know whether Cieslak would make the team, and all they knew they basically had was a jack of some trades but master of none in Neufeld. So why waste time and reps with Leak knowing that he was going to be cut.

This is kind of a bizarre move.  They liked him earlier in the summer, but not enough to invite him to training camp.  Then you have the pick of a couple hundred players who just got waived, are in shape and went through an NFL training camp, but choose to bring in Leak instead?

Read this:

But Leak was only 230 pounds when he accepted the [administrative assistant] job with the Gators, and had to bulk up to play tight end, which he did successfully as he's between 250 and 260 pounds right now.

I don't have anything against CJ Leak, and hope he does well...but I can't believe we aren't looking at some of the O linemen cut. We don't have much depth...and I'm not sure we have a complete starting line that it going to cut the mustard. Weakest spot on a team that has pretty much improved everywhere else.