My 22 cuts

JÂy RÛßeÒ

By Postion:

CB - keep 5. Not much thinking to do here. I don't risk trying to slip Youboty onto the PS so he stays. Kiwaukee didn't do enough to stick.

43 Bassey, Eric CUT

22 Clements, Nate

29 King, Eric

24 McGee, Terrence

33 Greer, Jabari

38 Youboty, Ashton

37 Thomas, Kiwaukee CUT

S - keep 5. I keep Vincent here one more year to teach Whitner & Simpson. Flip of a coin between Wire & Baker.

27 Wire, Coy S CUT

26 Baker, Rashad S

41 Bowen, Matt S

42 Leonhard, Jim S CUT

23 Vincent, Troy S

20 Whitner, Donte S

40 Simpson, Ko S

DE - keep 4. No surprises here. One or both of the cuts ends up on the PS.

94 Schobel, Aaron

91 Powell, Eric

90 Kelsay, Chris

92 Denney, Ryan

63 Hall, Jason CUT

72 Neill, Ryan CUT

DT - keep 4. No surprises here either.

97 McCargo, John

93 Sape, Lauvale CUT

98 Tripplett, Larry

99 Jefferson, Jason CUT

77 Anderson, Tim

95 Williams, Kyle

RB/FB - keep 5. Anthony Thomas looks ready to bust out and between Gates & Williams I keep Gates. Burns can do either and that versatility keeps him over Ricard.

39 Ricard, Alan CUT

31 Shelton, Daimon

44 Goldsberry, Jon CUT

35 Burns, Joe

45 Jackson, Fred CUT

28 Thomas, Anthony

21 McGahee, Willis

25 Gates, Lionel

36 Williams, Shaud CUT

ST - keep 3

9 Lindell, Rian

54 Schneck, Mike

8 Moorman, Brian

LB - keep 7. Haggan has had 4 years to show something and hasn't done it. Ellison gets to the PS. I keep 7 LBs just in case TKO has a setback.

53 Haggan, Mario CUT

50 Ezekiel, Liam

59 Fletcher-Baker, London

55 Crowell, Angelo

96 DiGiorgio, John CUT

64 Ellison, Keith CUT

52 Hunter, Wendell

56 Odom, Joe

51 Spikes, Takeo

57 Stamer, Josh

OL - keep 9. Pennington hits the PS - more tackles than guards.

70 Reyes, Tutan

65 Thomas, Jason CUT

58 Villarrial, Chris

61 Pennington, Terrance CUT

71 Peters, Jason

75 Preston, Duke

76 Jerman, Greg

60 Butler, Brad

67 Fowler, Melvin

69 Gandy, Mike

73 Geisinger, Justin CUT

62 Merz, Aaron

QB - keep 3

7 Losman, JP

10 Holcomb, Kelly

16 Nall, Craig

TE - keep 3. Numbers game mostly gets Neufeld cut.

84 Royal, Robert

88 Neufeld, Ryan CUT

86 Cieslak, Brad

85 Everett, Kevin

WR - keep 5. I'd like to keep 6 but I keep the extra LB instead.

83 Evans, Lee

18 Davis, Andre CUT

89 Aiken, Sam

81 Price, Peerless

82 Reed, Josh

11 Parrish, Roscoe

19 Smith, Jonathan CUT

15 Wilson, George CUT

agree with everything except keeping the extra LB. i think we keep haggan, because of his ST work and cut 50 Ezekiel and Odom.

I then use the extra roster spot on WR, keep Andre Davis or George Wilson. flip a coin, like u said

759307[/snapback]

Ezekiel's the backup MLB. Haggan is too slow and too big for the Tampa 2 defense.

The only other problem I had with the first post's cuts was Geisinger, who's been taking snaps as the 2nd string center, allowing Preston to focus on playing guard.

Ezekiel's the backup MLB. Haggan is too slow and too big for the Tampa 2 defense.

The only other problem I had with the first post's cuts was Geisinger, who's been taking snaps as the 2nd string center, allowing Preston to focus on playing guard.

759316[/snapback]

Yeah I dunno between Geisinger and Merz. Geisinger has barely been active in his 2 years, and he's a Donaohe pick rather than a Levy pick. OTOH I can't say I saw anything from Merz that made me say he's a "gotta have". And if he can go on PS maybe that gives Geisinger an edge.

I think we keep only 3 ends and keep an extra DT, Jefferson. Our line is light and may wear down quickly. At reciever, Davis stays as #6 and the backup LB's are Stamer, Ezekiel, and Hunter. I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of the roster yet except RB's. Willis, Gates, Thomas, and surprise: Ricard, a younger option who should be able to slide around and provide better pass protection at FB. Time to let Burns go.

I like your approach (by position and with logic).  But will someone tell me how, after several years of suckage, Josh Reed gets yet another chance?  Aiken blocks better, and as for actually catching a ball (as opposed to dropping it), I'd rather take my chances with Andre Davis.

759329[/snapback]

I don't like having Roscoe as my only slot receiver. He looks like a boy among men out there and every time he touches the ball - while I get excited that anything could happen, I also fear he may get torn in half.

Solid list. I'm not sure they keep the fourth DE, though... a sentiment echoed in Chris Brown's latest blog entry.

That might give one of the other WRs a job.

And if it's between Wire and Baker for the last safety slot, no coin flip necessary. JMO...

759334[/snapback]

Wow - he only keeps 8 OL. With Villarial's durability a ? that's asking for trouble IMHO. And only 3 DEs is risky too. I kinda feel that a 6th WR is a luxury who would almost never see the field anyway.

OK, I will respond but this is really hurting my little brain. These are the things I would do different than you.

At RB/FB I'm keeping Ricard over Burns. Burn's has been here long enough to prove that we are going nowhere other than 5-11 using your own argument albeit at a different position.

At LB I'm cutting Ezekiel and keeping Haggan despite my prior point on the RB/FB position ;) and I'm not keeping the extra and will also cut, Hunter and hope he goes to PS.

I will also cut Merz at OL so I can keep Sape at DT. Maybe I'm wrong but Pennington has more upside. And this is assuming you can get him on PS.

And now I'm confused cause I'm not counting on Takeo NOT being there and I'm also NOT cutting Ellison.

Out of the remaining I think I'll cut Everitt and keep Andre Davis. Everitt is too small to block, and is TD's illegimate bastard child. Cut Him.

Does any of this make sense? If not, does it make sensi? :lol: I think I may have an extra? But you fantasy football type freaks will figure it out and no doubt correct me on MY mistakes now! :)

I think I'm going to add this to my signature,

If the Bills go 8-8 I'm happy, your happy, and the Sabres are going to win the cup this year !

I don't like having Roscoe as my only slot receiver.  He looks like a boy among men out there.....

759339[/snapback]

hehehe, it reminds me of the scene in Water Boy where they used the towel boy at WR.

Roscoe = Towel Boy

TE - keep 3. Numbers game mostly gets Neufeld cut.

84 Royal, Robert

88 Neufeld, Ryan CUT

86 Cieslak, Brad

85 Everett, Kevin

If it's strictly a numbers game, Cieslak's gone. He can be on the practice squad. And Neufeld managed to show his versatility in the game Thursday with all the back up FBs out with injuries. Neufeld stays, Cieslak goes.

Here's my final roster version. I'm pretty confident in my list, except at the RB's and S's. I'm not sure how the offensive system is going to be using the FB's, nor do I know what's going on with the Bowen injury. My list is also a little light at OL (8 guys), but that's probably more a reflection of our geniune lack of talent there...plus only 7 get activated in any game...

ROSTER (53):

K Rian Lindell

P Brian Moorman

LS Mike Schneck

QB JP Losman

QB Kelly Holcomb

QB Craig Nall

RB Willis McGahee

RB Lionel Gates

RB Shaud Williams

FB Alan Ricard

FB Joe Burns

WR Lee Evans

WR Peerless Price

WR Josh Reed

WR Andre’ Davis

WR Sam Aiken

WR Roscoe Parrish

TE Robert Royal

TE Kevin Everett

TE Ryan Neufeld

T Mike Gandy

T Jason Peters

T Brad Butler

G Tutan Reyes

G Chris Villarial

G Raymond Preston

C Melvin Fowler

C Justin Geisinger

DE Aaron Schobel

DE Chris Kelsay

DE Ryan Denney

DE Eric Powell

DT Larry Tripplett

DT Kyle Williams

DT John McCargo

DT Tim Anderson

DT Lauvale Sape

OLB Takeo Spikes

OLB Angelo Crowell

OLB Mario Haggan

OLB Josh Stamer

OLB Keith Ellison

MLB London Fletcher-Baker

MLB Joe Odom

CB Nate Clements

CB Terrence McGee

CB Jabari Greer

CB Eric King

CB Ashton Youboty

SS Donte Whitner

SS Matt Bowen

FS Troy Vincent

FS Ko Simpson

PRACTICE SQUAD (8):

RB Fred Jackson

WR George Wilson

TE Brad Cieslak

T Terrance Pennington

G Aaron Merz

DE Ryan Neill

MLB John DiGiorgio

FS Jim Leonhard

CUTS (17):

QB Craig Ochs (NFLE)

QB Tory Woodbury (NFLE)

RB Anthony Thomas

FB Daimon Shelton

FB Jon Goldsberry

WR Jonathan Smith

T Dylan McFarland (waived-injured)

G Jason Thomas

G Greg Jerman

DE Jason Hall

DT Jason Jefferson

OLB Wendell Hunter

MLB Liam Ezekiel

CB Kiwaukee Thomas

CB Eric Bassey

SS Coy Wire

FS Rashad Baker

Here's my final roster version. I'm pretty confident in my list, except at the RB's and S's. I'm not sure how the offensive system is going to be using the FB's, nor do I know what's going on with the Bowen injury. My list is also a little light at OL (8 guys), but that's probably more a reflection of our geniune lack of talent there...plus only 7 get activated in any game...

ROSTER (53):

K Rian Lindell

P Brian Moorman

LS  Mike Schneck

QB JP Losman

QB  Kelly Holcomb

QB Craig Nall

RB Willis McGahee

RB  Lionel Gates

RB  Shaud Williams

FB  Alan Ricard

FB Joe Burns

MLB Joe Odom

CB Nate Clements

CB  Terrence McGee

CB Jabari Greer

CB Eric King

CB Ashton Youboty

SS Donte Whitner

SS  Matt Bowen

FS Troy Vincent

FS Ko Simpson

PRACTICE SQUAD (8):

RB Fred Jackson

WR George Wilson

TE Brad Cieslak

T Terrance Pennington

G Aaron Merz

DE  Ryan Neill

MLB John DiGiorgio

FS Jim Leonhard

CUTS (17):

QB Craig Ochs (NFLE)

QB Tory Woodbury (NFLE)

RB Anthony Thomas

FB Daimon Shelton

FB Jon Goldsberry

WR Jonathan Smith

G Jason Thomas

G Greg Jerman

DE Jason Hall

DT Jason Jefferson

OLB Wendell Hunter

MLB Liam Ezekiel

CB Kiwaukee Thomas

CB Eric Bassey

SS Coy Wire

FS Rashad Baker

759438[/snapback]

If they cut Ezekiel and Hunter, chances are they'll try to sneak one of them onto the PS

Out of the remaining I think I'll cut Everitt and keep Andre Davis. Everitt is too small to block, and is TD's illegimate bastard child. Cut Him.

759357[/snapback]

I'd like to keep 6 receivers if possible but no way that Everett gets cut. He started to show some of his upside in pre-season and we are not going to have 2 TE's in this offense.

Here's my final roster version. I'm pretty confident in my list, except at the RB's and S's. I'm not sure how the offensive system is going to be using the FB's, nor do I know what's going on with the Bowen injury.

ROSTER (53):

FB  Alan Ricard

FB Joe Burns

TE Robert Royal

TE Kevin Everett

TE Ryan Neufeld

PRACTICE SQUAD (8):

FS Jim Leonhard

CUTS (17):

FS Rashad Baker

759438[/snapback]

My main criticism of your rosrter is exacly where you said you were unsure. Specifically, I think the FBs have looked pretty bad, and none of them deserve to make the team, though of course we need one. If neufeld makes the team, it has to be because he can also be the backp FB, which saves us a spot.

you are cutting both Baker and Leonard. I think there is no chance Burns makes the team when they could have kept Baker instead.

Although Aiken is a special teams ace he is a big 0 as a wide reciever, he consistantly does nothing to help the passing game. With all the speed that was brought in through the draft I believe there has to be an adequate replacement for someone that covers kick offs and punts, I think he might be looked at to get the axe, Ive always thought Jonathan Smith should play more because he seems to do good things when the ball is in his hands, im hoping he stays

I'm beginning to wonder how long Bowen is going to be out. If he's not available for a few weeks there's no way the team can cut Wire. Perhaps they stick Bowens on the PUP list and keep wire for 6 weeks.

I also don't think they keep that many LBs and perhaps go with only 8 OL. They've made quite a deal about making sure the OL can each play multiple spots and the depth there is pretty weak. It would almost be a shame just to keep a warm body on the OL when there are some solid WRs that could contribute in multiple ways. Who is going to end up making a bigger impact on the game, the 9th OL or Andre Davis on special teams? I’d also hate to see Wilson go, the guy is young and has a lot of potential. I don’t think he’d help the team much this year but I can see him blossoming in a year or two.

ROSTER (53):

K Rian Lindell

P Brian Moorman

LS  Mike Schneck

QB JP Losman

QB  Kelly Holcomb

QB Craig Nall

RB Willis McGahee

RB  Lionel Gates

RB  Shaud Williams

FB  Alan Ricard

FB Joe Burns

WR Lee Evans

WR  Peerless Price

WR Josh Reed

WR  Andre’ Davis

WR  Sam Aiken

WR Roscoe Parrish

TE Robert Royal

TE Kevin Everett

TE Ryan Neufeld

T Mike Gandy

T Jason Peters

T Brad Butler

G Tutan Reyes

G Chris Villarial

G Raymond Preston

C Melvin Fowler

C Justin Geisinger

DE Aaron Schobel

DE Chris Kelsay

DE Ryan Denney

DE  Eric Powell

DT Larry Tripplett

DT Kyle Williams

DT  John McCargo

DT Tim Anderson

DT  Lauvale Sape

OLB Takeo Spikes

OLB Angelo Crowell

OLB Mario Haggan

OLB Josh Stamer

OLB Keith Ellison

MLB Joe Odom

CB Nate Clements

CB  Terrence McGee

CB Jabari Greer

CB Eric King

CB Ashton Youboty

SS Donte Whitner

SS  Matt Bowen

FS Troy Vincent

FS Ko Simpson

PRACTICE SQUAD (8):

RB Fred Jackson

WR George Wilson

TE Brad Cieslak

T Terrance Pennington

G Aaron Merz

DE  Ryan Neill

MLB John DiGiorgio

FS Jim Leonhard

CUTS (17):

QB Craig Ochs (NFLE)

QB Tory Woodbury (NFLE)

RB Anthony Thomas

FB Daimon Shelton

FB Jon Goldsberry

WR Jonathan Smith

G Jason Thomas

G Greg Jerman

DE Jason Hall

DT Jason Jefferson

OLB Wendell Hunter

MLB Liam Ezekiel

CB Kiwaukee Thomas

CB Eric Bassey

SS Coy Wire

FS Rashad Baker

759438[/snapback]

In general, I like both your list and the marginally different one from Jay Rubeo which started this thread, however, I like your list a little better so I would go with it with the following small changes and observations.

1. A functional uncertainty is that I believe there are some limitation for qualifying for the PS basd on how many time you have been active as a player. I;m not sure as the CBA has been a moving target with a new one just adopted and I have yet to see how it is used over a season. In addition, the PS make-up has been changed so there now actually may be more fluidity of movement between the active roster and the PS. Yet there is a real $ difference in compensation between the PS which gives players ten of thousands of dollars to play this boys game and the NFL minimum which approaches $300K.

The bottomline is that I am not even sure that Leonhard is a candidate for being on the PS.

My guess is that what the Bills may do depends a lot on something none of us outside of the Bills docs and Marv knows for sure that I believe Bown is still injured and the Bills may have the ability to put him on the PUP list which would make him unavailable til after the 6th game. This would provide us with a spot to either keep Leonhard or more likely Baker (who pissed a lot of fans off by letting an INT slip through his hands for a nice Lions reception) just in case Vincent has hit the wall due to his age.

2. I like the fact that your list cuts Shelton who I can really do without as a pass catcher after a couple of drops of passes he should have caught this pre-season and an horrendous drop of a ball that hit his hands from Holcomb which became and INT last season.

Yet, unfortunately, I am simply not sure enough of Ricard's physical condition as he was inactive for the last game to judge whether he can show the same talent he has shown as a blocker for the RB he showed in Balt. I think there are still options here even if Ricard cannot answer the bell if the braintrust judges that Burns provides enough ST upside and the vet skills and bulk to block at FB and i also like your list for keeping Neufeld who has a former H-back also provides another vet who can fill in at FB if we in fact cut Shelton.

3. I am torn between whether our #2 QB should be Nall or Holcomb,

I'm glad that KH had a good game against Detroit because though he has never been good enought to be a consistent starter in this league his lomg career and episodes of good play should have allowed him to pick up the new offense for him quicker than he did. As best as I can guess, the Fairchild O will be relatively pass-happy but will emphsize short passes and RAC for big gains that would suit KH's experience to do good reads and throw shorter passes. I think many folks make a bad football judgementin concluding that being pass-happy means that your QB needs to make accurate deep throws all the time and that KH has never shown an ability to do that.

However, I think what it really means is that the QB will need to throw deep as a change-up and the real deal is actually gonna be using a lot of relatively short passes. Even if one judges that KH has a rag arm (assessments of his arm weakness have been exagerrated on this board by repetitive insults. He does not have a strong arm at all but he is an NFL QB who can throw it long a few times a game which is all you need to make the RAC oriented O work). However, he simply did not pick up what is a new O for him well at all this pre-season and simply sucked until this last pre-season game.

Nall's chances at competing with JP were ended by his early pre-season injury, but KH's bad play gave even an injured Nall a shot to take the #2 slot. Nall showed some promise, but he also showed a propensity to take some Brett Favre type risks which made for some nice throws at times, but also seemed to make for a couple of bad INTs.

Its good that KH finally showed some good play, because I am quite happy to see KH be the first option we go to as a back-up but let both QBs know that their practices are important and they are still competing for a spot. i agree with Marv that if you have two starting QBs then you really have no starting QB. However, I have no problem with having 2 back-up QBs as long as I have 1 starter.

Right now I give Holcomb the nod based on his final performance in pre-season but this decision may change if Nall calms down a bit and is productive in practice or KH falls apart in garbage time play which I am happy to give him if we get the chance (it is to be hoped because we are so far ahead).

4. Your OL set-up is fine by me but it shows the risk we are facing if (actually when) on of our starters goes down.

I hope Butler has developed well enough that we can go with 3 T's but I doubt this has happened and the awful thing is that the inadequate to start at T and perhaps not worth much to simply give a starter a blow is the best we can do. i am looking very hard at the waiver wire and other team;s PS's for a tackle aswe need back-up T help badly or a lot of good luck.

I suspect Villarial will be the starter most likely to make the injury question a when rather than an if and Preston should be fine to step in. The big problem is that Preston also appears to be our plan B at center. I am curious to see whather JMac actually sees something wrth working with from Jason Thomas who is currently a bak-up G on the deoth chart.

It appears tnat original efforts which had Geisinger as the back-up C have not worked out as he is now behind Preston so I think he gets cut and or PS'ed if he is eligible for it.

Upon review of the depth chart and what I could observe in the game (and i think all of our amateur OL observations though it is nice to hear what folks think I think even the fairly knowledgable sounding observations are no where near as worthwhile or as good as JMac's observations as far as the fine details. We can all see that Jerman is inadequate as a starter at any position, but this does not mean that JMac is making an unreasonable decision if he keeps this definitely inadequate player on the roster because he can give a blow or rest for several positions.

My sense on the OL is we have a roster of:

Gandy

Reyes

Fowler

Villarial

Peters

Jerman

Butler

Pennington

and probably some combination of

Merz

Geisinger

Thomas

on the PS and.or being inactive each game. Pennington probably makes the active roster as a drafted rookie but will be inactive for the most part.

5. I think either Powell or Sape does not make it from your DL list.. if the bills are comfortable that one of their DTs can line up at DE in a pinch I think they go with 3 DEs. If not then Powell makes it and the better player Sape goes unfortunately. I know jauron said the 53 best players make it, but if you are going to do a DL rotation we need 4 guys who can play DE so Powell may slime in.

The other thing that I found interesting about the Lions game was that I noticed that Anderson was getting a lot of reps with the second team DL. Perhaps either Williams or McCargo has pushed him down the depth chart seriouly.

5. I just moticed you cut Thomas. Unless you have seen some good blitz-pickup, ST and end around blocking from Gates, i do not think his significantly better production as a runner will even allow him to beat out Thomas as a starter, much less push him off the roster. I think Shaud Williams is in greater danger of being cut than Thomas but perhaps his flexibility puts Burns in more danger or Ricard's injuries put him in more danger but I think we cut any of these 3 before we cut Thomas.