Where is Martin Nance? Andre Davis?

Martin Nance was supposed to be the undrafted free agent steal offensively, and andre davis was supposed to challange a roster spot....both look to be on the outside lookin in??..Was hopin nance would emerge in the preason, with the kids size , I was curious to see what he could do...Andre Davis appeared to be nothing more then traning camp depth, and a preseason look and see...what are the odds, that one of these guys does make the team?

With the detroit game thursday...curious to see if one of them stands out

Martin Nance was supposed to be the undrafted free agent steal offensively, and andre davis was supposed to challange a roster spot....both look to be on the outside lookin in??..Was hopin nance would emerge in the preason, with the kids size , I was curious to see what he could do...Andre Davis appeared to be nothing more then traning camp depth, and a preseason look and see...what are the odds, that one of these guys does make the team?

With the detroit game thursday...curious to see if one of them stands out

753375[/snapback]

The Bills are almost to the point now with Nance where they don't want to play him. He's not going to make the roster, but if they feel he can develop -- why expose him to the NFL by playing him much on Thursday? Just sit him, cut him, then let him clear waivers and sign him to the practice squad.

Nance has not shown very much in camp except that he is raw, and deserved to go undrafted. Certainly his size makes him promising, and he CAN catch. A year on the PS could do wonders. I just think the Bills want to make sure he is on their PS rather than someone elses.

As for Davis, I still think he makes the team. He'll take Smith's spot on the roster due to his abilities as a WR (which surpass Smith) and on ST (which are equal -- except in PR to Smith).

Martin Nance has played so little in the preseason that it seems as if they're trying to hide him. If they thought he sucked, I think he'd have been one of the guys cut a few days ago. My guess is that the Bills view him as a player with a lot of potential, but also one who isn't at all ready to play and will struggle to make a team already loaded with talented WR projects. So yeah, I agree with the earlier poster and I think the Bills are trying to sneak Nance onto the practice squad.

Andre Davis hasn't shown me much this preseason except that he can't catch. I expected better. I don't think he will make the team and would not be totally suprised if he were one of the early cuts Tuesday.

it will all come down to how many receivers they will keep. Have not notices if Davis can play special teams- if he cant I dont think he makes it. Evans Price Reed Parrish Aiken- thats five so it will come down to Davis and J Smith.

753464[/snapback]

Davis does play ST, but he's been so non-existent as a WR during camp and preseason that I believe the sixth WR kept will be Wilson.

Nance was an UDFA steal only in the eyes of the fans. There's a reason why 32 NFL GM's thought that Nance was unworth of a 6th or 7th round pick.

Nance, so far as I know, hasn't done anything in camp to earn extra playing time. Every report indicates that he has been outplayed by George Wilson. So that leaves SEVEN other WR's with pro experience and Wilson ahead of him on the depth chart. I think that the coaches are using the game time to try and see whom out of Reed, Price, Davis, and maybe Aiken is going to emerge to start alongside Lee Evans, and also to see whether or not Jonathan Smith and George Wilson can merit roster spots alongside Parrish in the special teams department. With eight guys ahead of him, Nance has never been anything more than camp fodder, barring an unbelieveable camp - which he simply has not had.

Davis might still make the team, but there is no indicate that Davis has beaten out Price and Reed for a mainline WR spot, and I have a hard time seeing him beating out Aiken for a ST coverage spot. As a returner, I don't see him beating out Parrish and Smith for that role either. So, I just don't see it....

JDG

Oh yeah, and the #1 reason to keep Andre Davis - the fact that he was one of Kelly Holcomb's favorite targets during Holcomb's best season in Cleveland, now also seems to be irrelevant as well.

JDG

Oh yeah, and the #1 reason to keep Andre Davis - the fact that he was one of Kelly Holcomb's favorite targets during Holcomb's best season in Cleveland, now also seems to be irrelevant as well.

JDG

753606[/snapback]

All valid points -- but Smith won't be on the team. The 7th spot (if there is one) will be Davis based on his abilities as a WR (and ST) compaired to Fast Freddie. Davis is faster and has the vertical ability as a WR that this offense demands and Smith doesn't possess. Plus, he returns and covers while Smith only returns. Davis will be hard for the Bills to cut I believe.

Nance is camp fodder yes, but he did have a good off season and mini camps based on the reports -- which means he'll warrant a PS spot. I think that is the reason why he hasn't played in the pre-season. The coaches already have him penciled in on the PS and want to be sure he slips past waivers when he is cut.

I don't think Nance will ever be anything special -- but with a year on the PS and another training camp next year, who knows. Based on what it will cost the Bills to do that, why not take a shot.

Their lack of playing time and/or press mentions really concerns me.

I thought Nance was going to make the team and vie for the #4 or #5 WR spot.

It really seems to me that both are probably going to get cut.

All the Reed supporters will start to regret it though when no-hands Josh makes his first big drop of the season in the NE game.

The Bills are almost to the point now with Nance where they don't want to play him. He's not going to make the roster, but if they feel he can develop -- why expose him to the NFL by playing him much on Thursday? Just sit him, cut him, then let him clear waivers and sign him to the practice squad.

753397[/snapback]

So the fact that he just isn't good enough to make the team isn't in the realm of possibility? :devil:

Nance was an UDFA steal only in the eyes of the fans.  There's a reason why 32 NFL GM's thought that Nance was unworth of a 6th or 7th round pick. 

Nance, so far as I know, hasn't done anything in camp to earn extra playing time.  Every report indicates that he has been outplayed by George Wilson.  So that leaves SEVEN other WR's with pro experience and Wilson ahead of him on the depth chart.  I think that the coaches are using the game time to try and see whom out of Reed, Price, Davis, and maybe Aiken is going to emerge to start alongside Lee Evans, and also to see whether or not Jonathan Smith and George Wilson can merit roster spots alongside Parrish in the special teams department.    With eight guys ahead of him, Nance has never been anything more than camp fodder, barring an unbelieveable camp - which he simply has not had.

Davis might still make the team, but there is no indicate that Davis has beaten out Price and Reed for a mainline WR spot, and I have a hard time seeing him beating out Aiken for a ST coverage spot.  As a returner, I don't see him beating out Parrish and Smith for that role either.  So, I just don't see it....

JDG

753605[/snapback]

There is also a reason why we signed him. In any event, at this point he would be lucky to make it on to the practice squad.

The starters will likely be Evans and Reed or Evans and Price. All three when we go with 3 wideouts and when we go with four, it will be Roscoe as the fourth. What we are really talking about here is the 5th WR. I like Wilson at this point but in the end, it will be Aiken. Hopefully, they keep 6 and the 6th is Wilson.

So the fact that he just isn't good enough to make the team isn't in the realm of possibility?  :devil:

753740[/snapback]

Of course it is. I never expected Nance to be anything but a PS member this year. He was undrafted for a reason.

However, he did show flashes in the OTAs and mini camps. Enough, according to the coaches, to warrant a PS spot and then another shot at making the team in 07.

If he still isn't good enough to make the team then, what's the loss in having him on the PS this year?

My point was, if the coaches did see flashes in OTA but know he not good enough to make the team this year, they don't want to put him into the preseason mix and risk him making enough plays so that he would not clear waivers when he is cut.

It's pure speculation -- but makes sense when you consider how high the coaches were on him coming into camp and how little PT he has gotten in the preseason.

He's facing a numbers game. I think Peerless has been a pleasant surprise and Parrish isn't out (yet) with an injury like last year. Throw in Reed's signing bonus, Aiken's excellent ST's play, Wilson being the Nance of last year, and Davis who has veteran experience, size, and speed, and the Bills have several people well ahead of Nance.

There is virtually no difference between a 6th and 7th round draft pick and an UDFA who is one of the most sought after signings, which was the case with Nance. So he is on the same terms with Pennington and Merz as far as talent. The real difference is what the team needs, which is why they drafted the OL. But the Bills have an abundance of WRs so his chances of making the roster are almost nil. I see a real possibility that they are hiding him but I just don't know.

Andre Davis to me will be the guy cut, although he does have some talent and I liked what I saw out of him on ST as a tackler. But the Bills have an abundance of those guys, too. And unless McGee gets hurt he would never be a KR. Wilson impresses me, and Not Quite So Fast Freddie is a very versatile player. There are tough cuts here but my want and prediction is that Davis and Freddie are cut. Wilson makes it as the #6 and Nance is signed to PS.

There is virtually no difference between a 6th and 7th round draft pick and an UDFA who is one of the most sought after signings, which was the case with Nance. So he is on the same terms with Pennington and Merz as far as talent. The real difference is what the team needs, which is why they drafted the OL. But the Bills have an abundance of WRs so his chances of making the roster are almost nil. I see a real possibility that they are hiding him but I just don't know.

753890[/snapback]

I think people were just plain way too gaga over Martin Nance. The truth of the matter is that in the 7th round of the NFL draft, 7 WR's were taken. In fact, the Cincinnati Bengals, who are a short hop, skip, and a jump from Miami took *two* WR's in the 7th round. By definition, these six NFL teams rated these WR's as better prospects than Nance. I'm not interested enough in this to see what the preseason PT has been for each of these seven guys - but I doubt that teams are trying to hide them. Nance is a nice story, but the idea that the Bills somehow needed to "hide him" this preseason strikes me as wishful thinking. A far, far simpler explanation is that, at this stage of his career, he simply isn't very good.

JDG

I think people were just plain way too gaga over Martin Nance.    The truth of the matter is that in the 7th round of the NFL draft, 7 WR's were taken.  In fact, the Cincinnati Bengals, who are a short hop, skip, and a jump from Miami took *two* WR's in the 7th round.  By definition, these six NFL teams rated these WR's as better prospects than Nance.  I'm not interested enough in this to see what the preseason PT has been for each of these seven guys - but I doubt that teams are trying to hide them.  Nance is a nice story, but the idea that the Bills somehow needed to "hide him" this preseason strikes me as wishful thinking.  A far, far simpler explanation is that, at this stage of his career, he simply isn't very good.

JDG

754186[/snapback]

That may be true, and you're probably right. I do think teams hide players though, and he may indeed be the kind of player that teams "hide". You cannot teach his height and his hands. Those seem to be invaluable traits regardless of his abilities at this stage. You CAN teach route running, and getting out of your breaks and blocking and the intricacies of the NFL. Only a miniscule percentage of players as UDFA may indeed be able to learn these things adequately but it's surely possible. It's also possible if not probable that Nance is simply way too unpolished as a WR to make a roster right now but that scouts and coaches see enough in him that makes them believe he could learn it, he's capable of it. While a lot of players they look at like this they determine the chances of this or that player "getting it" are infinitisemal and not worth putting him on the PS. I have no idea about Nance. But he seems to me to be the kind of player that has a chance from all I have read.

I think it still has to do with the size matters bullshite.If Nance was 5"11" i highly doubt you would have heard anything about him.Same thing goes for Donte Whitner on a similar note...If he were 6'2" 215 i doubt the pick would have gotten as much flak as it did.

I think Nance is still a promising player, though I think Davis had enough of a chance and didn't do enough with it. With Nance, I think the Bills simply decided they had enough good receivers with some experience and wanted to decide which of them they would keep. Nance was the victim of the proverbial numbers game. Chris Brown ecchoed my thoughts in his blog when he suggested Nance might end up on the PS.