Anyone who thinks Ralph is cheap....

Buftex

Consider this...

In an attempt to save on travel expenses, the owners of the Detroit Lions had the Lions fly to Oakland for their preseason game, at 7am the morning of the game...and head back to the motor city immediately after their loss to the Raiders on Friday night...apparently, Rod Marinelli, the new coach, was not too happy about the travel plans...how poor could any NFL owner be?

Consider this...

In an attempt to save on travel expenses, the owners of the Detroit Lions had the Lions fly to Oakland for their preseason game, at 7am the morning of the game...and head back to the motor city immediately after their loss to the Raiders on Friday night...apparently, Rod Marinelli, the new coach, was not too happy about the travel plans...how poor could any NFL owner be?

753056[/snapback]

Wow that is quite pathetic, any link possible?

Kind of reminds me of Major League when they were fixing the plane with duct tape.

Consider this...

753056[/snapback]

ford has been having some *major* financial troubles recently ...

Ralph is NOT cheap.  Please leave this unfounded line of thinking.

753150[/snapback]

Let's not let our homerism get in the way of objectivity.

Historically, Ralph has been VERY cheap. And more recently, Ralph has been very cheap on coaches - with respect to the rest of the league.

Let's not let our homerism get in the way of objectivity.

Historically, Ralph has been VERY cheap. And more recently, Ralph has been very cheap on coaches - with respect to the rest of the league.

753182[/snapback]

Yes, Ralph is cheap. The spending spree of the early nineties was a form of temporary insanity for him.

Consider this...

753056[/snapback]

where did they spend the day, hanging out at the stadium? What about a pregame meal?

That is plain stupid and yes, CHEAP!

Again, stop it with the "Ralph is cheap" fantasy. He's spent to the cap limit every year it's been in existence, when he could have spent to jus 70% of it and pocketed the $20-30M.

As for hiring cheap coaches, you can blame TD for that, since he was looking for a newbie who wouldn't cross him. Marv wasn't exactly cheap and Wade was a natural successor given his work as a DC. Moreover just because a coach is highly-paid, it doesn't mean he'll get you anywhere.

What does the plane leaving early have to do with saving money? Somone please explain. I thought teams had their own planes.

And I have to agree with MadBuffaloDisease. Ralph has pushed the team to the cap limit almost every year, instead of cashing in.

753574[/snapback]

By not spending a full day in Oakland, the team saved money on, roughly (my guess) about 60 hotel rooms, and other travel expenses...figure if you have 75-80 playrs and another 10 coahces traveling, that is a pretty major expense. NFL football teams do not stay at La Quinta!

Sorry, I am not sure why implying that our owner is "thrifty" hurts so many feelings...the salary cap is just that, a cap which allows owners the excuse not to pay players more...the Bills are under this years' salary cap, no?

There are far more things that money is spent on than player salaries...Ralph may not be the cheapest owner (the success he stumbled into in the early 1990's may have changed his ways to a degree), but he is a long way from the Daniel Snyders and Jerry Jones of the leauge. I know, we hate all of those guys (we do!), but I would bet my measly paycheck that the operating expenses of the Buffalo Bills are in the bottom third of the leauge...

Winning changes everything...pre-Jim Kelly, there were few Bills fans who had the warm and fuzzy feelings about Ralph...but that 10 years of success can't cancel out everything...

By not spending a full day in Oakland, the team saved money on, roughly (my guess) about 60 hotel rooms, and other travel expenses...figure if you have 75-80 playrs and another 10 coahces traveling, that is a pretty major expense.  NFL football teams do not stay at La Quinta!

Sorry, I am not sure why implying that our owner is "thrifty" hurts so many feelings...the salary cap is just that, a cap which allows owners the excuse not to pay players more...the Bills are under this years' salary cap, no? 

There are far more things that money is spent on than player salaries...Ralph may not be the cheapest owner (the success he stumbled into in the early 1990's may have changed his ways to a degree), but he is a long way from the Daniel Snyders and Jerry Jones of the leauge.  I know, we hate all of those guys (we do!), but I would bet my measly paycheck that the operating expenses of the Buffalo Bills are in the bottom third of the leauge...

Winning changes everything...pre-Jim Kelly, there were few Bills fans who had the warm and fuzzy feelings about Ralph...but that 10 years of success can't cancel out everything...

753593[/snapback]

Oh I get what your saying about the players expenses now ... and our operating expenses is lower because we charge less for tickets, the demand here is less, merchandise sales arent as high as dallas, ne, and other teams. Were a small market team and thus we make less money and thus we spend less.

Okay, this is the FIRST year since the salary cap was instituted, that Ralph hasn't spent to the cap limit. And the reason for that is tied to the reason he voted "no" on the new CBA.

There are far more things that money is spent on than player salaries...Ralph may not be the cheapest owner (the success he stumbled into in the early 1990's may have changed his ways to a degree), but he is a long way from the Daniel Snyders and Jerry Jones of the leauge.  I know, we hate all of those guys (we do!), but I would bet my measly paycheck that the operating expenses of the Buffalo Bills are in the bottom third of the leauge...

What's more important than spending money on the guys who play the game? And the Bills spend money on scouting, keeping the players comfy, etc. The only place you could say he scrimped is coaching salaries, but against after Wade, you can blame that on TD wanting to bring in a newbie, who are always cheaper. And who was available THIS year for HC that would have cost a lot? Sherman? No one even took a look at him as a HC, except for the Bills.

Detroit Lions pre game meal---

Okay everybody when the team bus pulls up to Subway remember you're limited to the $2.49 six inch special--water--and no chips...

753676[/snapback]

Bottle of water, or from the tap in the bathroom? If it's the bottle, you may as well get the chips and make it a combo, it'd still be less than $5/player.