now i have to move

ch19079

long story short,

my lease runs out on my apartment in a month.

i have a sat dish for NFL sunday ticket.

i just found out that in all the new leases my apartment complex are doing now including cable in the rent. 45 bucks. BUT they said it can not be taken off of the rent. So everyone who signs a new lease there would be paying for cable weather they use it or not.

This is a major problem for me since i have Directv. and ill be damned if im going to pay 45 bucks a month for something i have absolutly no need for.

and on top of that the rent went up 75 bucks.

They tried to make it sound good, "well you might as well use it since you will be paying for it". but all i could think about is how !@#$ed up it is.

is this even legal? Cable tv is not electricity or water. its cable tv. can an apartment complex do that?

And to make matters worse, i have a perfect view of the pool (my window is directly next to the pool), and 3 hot girls were layiing out this morning. I will miss that apartment... :blush:

long story short,

i just found out that in all the new leases my apartment complex are doing now including cable in the rent. 45 bucks. BUT they said it can not be taken off of the rent. So everyone who signs a new lease there would be paying for cable weather they use it or not.

This is a major problem for me since i have Directv. and ill be damned if im going to pay 45 bucks a month for something i have absolutly no need for.

They tried to make it sound good, "well you might as well use it since you will be paying for it". but all i could think about is how !@#$ed up it is.

is this even legal? Cable tv is not electricity or water. its cable tv. can an apartment complex do that?

743907[/snapback]

Laws will vary with the state and/or city you're in, but the short version is: yep, they can.

long story short,

743907[/snapback]

Most of the college apartments around here are including internet and tv. But rent is so frickin cheap it doesn't really matter.

I've got a bedroom/bathroom in an unfurnished 4/4, including internet and tv, for $299 a month.

Most of the college apartments around here are including internet and tv.  But rent is so frickin cheap it doesn't really matter.

I've got a bedroom/bathroom in an unfurnished 4/4, including internet and tv, for $299 a month.

743910[/snapback]

yeah college apartments are usually liek that.

but i have never heard of a regular apartment complex forcing you to pay for cable. I have lived there for over 2 years and i never saw it comming.

long story short,

And to make matters worse, i have a perfect view of the pool (my window is directly next to the pool), and 3 hot girls were layiing out this morning. I will miss that apartment...  :blush:

743907[/snapback]

Nobody is forcing you to live there. If you do not like the terms of the lease, don't sign it. It is that simple. I see nothing illegal about it.

but i have never heard of a regular apartment complex forcing you to pay for cable. I have lived there for over 2 years and i never saw it comming.

743917[/snapback]

There is no gun upside your head forcing you to sign the new lease. Agree to it or scram.

long story short,

And to make matters worse, i have a perfect view of the pool (my window is directly next to the pool), and 3 hot girls were layiing out this morning. I will miss that apartment...  :blush:

743907[/snapback]

Dude, if you live in a complex, negociate your rent with them. Nobody pays the same, it is like buying a car.

743917[/snapback]

Contact your local Bar Assoction (not the bars, the lawyers) and see what they say. Here you can get some advice over the phone for free, anything more, like having to meet with a lawyer, and you pay.

Dude, if you live in a complex, negociate your rent with them. Nobody pays the same, it is like buying a car.

743938[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about? They may offer some special deals or whatever but in what world do apartment complexes allow you to negotiate? Especially when they raise your rent over $100?

Maybe I'm just a naive punk, but I've never, ever, ever known an apartment complex that would work out a deal.

WTF are you talking about? They may offer some special deals or whatever but in what world do apartment complexes allow you to negotiate? Especially when they raise your rent over $100?

Maybe I'm just a naive punk, but I've never, ever, ever known an apartment complex that would work out a deal.

743964[/snapback]

Perhaps for a bottle of liquor, the guy at the front desk will tell you which apartment the girls by the pool live in...

long story short,

743907[/snapback]

I dont think $110 month increase would be enough to make me move. Is it worth it to have to come up with a deposit, first last etc?

long story short,

743907[/snapback]

Can you say kickback?

Sure, I knew you could.

743964[/snapback]

Probably depends on the area. I know they wouldn't in DC (they'd say "See ya! The place won't be vacant for more than 15 minutes after you leave anyway...") In Buffalo, though...I bet I could find a place that would come down in price, even with my pitiful negotiating skills.

I'd call some legal professionals in your area, because it may not be, I'm not sure.

That said, you CAN still keep DirecTV - they can't stop you from doing that.

CW

Personally I have no idea since I live in a different country but.....

Over here there is a 'tenants rights' booklet (& hotline).

I'd be surprised if there is not one in the U.S. Just ask at a Estate Agent who deals in rentals. That's were the booklets are obtained over here....they are actually mandatory for every new renter but the Agents conveniently forget most of the time. :blush:

I wish you luck.

Personally I have no idea since I live in a different country but.....

Over here there is a 'tenants rights' booklet (& hotline).

I'd be surprised if there is not one in the U.S.  Just ask at a Estate Agent who deals in rentals.  That's were the booklets are obtained over here....they are actually mandatory for every new renter but the Agents conveniently forget most of the time. :blush:

I wish you luck.

744174[/snapback]

Good point. The Attorney Generals office has them here in Minnesota, and they can also answer questions about the legality of things like this.

CW

743964[/snapback]

I live in one of the higher end complexs in the triad. Every year they try to raise my rent at least 4%. In five years, I have upgraded from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom and I am only paying $30 more a month from my orignal rent price 5 years ago. There are people in my building, like yourself I assume, who are paying $150 more than me a month for the same place.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much wheeling and dealing you can do when you move in, but once your there they would rather keep you than have to try to rent it out again.

I'd call some legal professionals in your area, because it may not be, I'm not sure.

CW

744167[/snapback]

:blush:

Ya... They can. First they say that they are rehabbing your apartment and need you to move to another unit... That other unit may have a poor view of the southern sky...

As long as they find you another apartment... I suppose they can get away with anything... Maybe give your prime digs to somebody else that they like better?

Sure this sounds crooked and skirts the law I suppose.

:blush:

Ya... They can.  First they say that they are rehabbing your apartment and need you to move to another unit... That other unit may have a poor view of the southern sky...

Then you put your dish on a stick and make it look as ugly as possible so that they move you back to the pool-side apartment. :blush:

CW

744167[/snapback]

Easily done. All my leases specifically state that the premises include only the actual rooms in the apartment. Where there are porches/decks etc. they are verbally told they can use them but if they abuse the right (trash storage, frequent loud parties etc.) the access door will become a wall. (Also tell them DISH dishes are OK but DTV dishes will be removed :blush: .)

Easily done.  All my leases  specifically state that the premises include only the actual rooms in the apartment.  Where there are porches/decks etc. they are verbally told they can use them but if they abuse the right (trash storage, frequent loud parties etc.) the access door will become a wall.  (Also tell them DISH dishes are OK but DTV dishes will be removed  :w00t: .)

744371[/snapback]

Wiseguy. B-):rolleyes: