Realistically, could Holcumb

BoondckCL

Its a thought that i have been debating with since i attended night practice on August 8th.

It is quite valuable in this league to have a sufficient back up quarterback as we all know from the Bledsoe/Brady fiasco. But is Holcumb the kind of back up that we want on the team this year.

Bottom line is that you want a back-up who can comprehend your offense and run it if necessary. This is usually thought to be for a game or two at the most. If your team loses its qb for the whole season they are likely not going to make the playoffs. There have been a few cases but likely not.

The Bills may want to think about eliminating the possibility of a mutiny on the team that would ultimatly kill the teams season, and ultimately ruin Losman's confidence.

His arm is not strong enough to lead a team in my opinion and with this it is almost impossible to stretch the field or diversify your offense in anyway. Thus offensive production will go down and players like Willis will cease to produce and many will lose their jobs.

Just want to know what you think.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic. It could be that this was what Marv had in mind all along. Another thread from the fair and balanced one headed in this direction. Link here

The Bills may want to think about eliminating the possibility of a mutiny on the team that would ultimatly kill the teams season, and ultimately ruin Losman's confidence.

Right on. As I said on the other post, it's hard to have a QB controversy when one of the principals involved isn't on the team. :blink:

Three factors I see controlling this are:

JP continues to play strong and/or shows consistent improvement(like Monday 21-28 2 TDS) :ph34r:

Nall comes back and shows he can be a solid #2

Kingsbury shows he can play in this league.

If all three of these happen - not 2/3, I would not be surprised to see KH gone...

Btw, is Holcombs_Arm on a milk carton? Haven't heard from him in a while? :(

Anything is possible...but I think Jauron is fairly conservative...most coaches prefer to have one vetran in their rotation. It doesn't seem like the kind of move that this current Bills administration would make...TD, maybe....

Nall and Losman are both pretty inexperienced...I wouldn't mind seeing Timm Rattay somewhere in the mix...I like Kingsbury a lot, but he does not have a real strong arm either, and is likely a career back-up. Not sure what the salary cap implications would be, in cutting Holcomb. It doesn't seem they would gain much by cutting him at this point, and it might just hurt the team, unless they had a definitive upgrade to replace him. If that happens, the QB controversy keeps on going...

Great topic. It could be that this was what Marv had in mind all along. Another thread from the fair and balanced one headed in this direction. Link here

Right on. As I said on the other post, it's hard to have a QB controversy when one of the principals involved isn't on the team. :blink:

Three factors I see controlling this are:

JP continues to play strong and/or shows consistent improvement(like Monday 21-28 2 TDS) :ph34r:

Nall comes back and shows he can be a solid #2

Kingsbury shows he can play in this league.

If all three of these happen - not 2/3, I would not be surprised to see KH gone...

Btw, is Holcombs_Arm on a milk carton? Haven't heard from him in a while?  :(

743550[/snapback]

First off, Holcumb's arm is not going to show until the dust has settled from the other nights game. Second off one of the secondary goals of this thread was to piss him off enough to come on and hear what he has to say about my thoughts.

First off, Holcumb's arm is not going to show until the dust has settled from the other nights game. Second off one of the secondary goals of this thread was to piss him off enough to come on and hear what he has to say about my thoughts.

743553[/snapback]

:(:ph34r::blink:

Anything is possible...but I think Jauron is fairly conservative...most coaches prefer to have one vetran in their rotation.  It doesn't seem like the kind of move that this current Bills administration would make...TD, maybe....

Nall and Losman are both pretty inexperienced...I wouldn't mind seeing Timm Rattay somewhere in the mix...I like Kingsbury a lot, but he does not have a real strong arm either, and is likely a career back-up.  Not sure what the salary cap implications would be, in cutting Holcomb.  It doesn't seem they would gain much by cutting him at this point, and it might just hurt the team, unless they had a definitive upgrade to replace him.  If that happens, the QB controversy keeps on going...

743551[/snapback]

Inexpierience is one thing to argue if the veteran is going to bring leadership to the table. It is rather hard for the veteran to bring leadership when at that particular point in the season he would be the enemy and the cause for the mutiny.

The only reason there was any sort of QB controversy last year was because after finishing 9-7 in 2004 and narrowly missing the playoffs, the fans and the media and the coaching staff all believed we had a top-5 defense and a legit chance at the playoffs. Once Losman began to struggle, Mularkey decided the team was still good enough to win and maybe the QB was the issue. So Holcomb won two cupcake home games against the NYJ and Miami, and suddenly we thought we could make a run at the division.

Well, it turns out, the team wasn't good enough. There were many other glaring issues besides the QB play. That's why this year, a controversy wouldn't happen. If JP is named the starter, he will play unless he's injured. The team is probably not going to the playoffs this year, regardless of the QB. If JP does get injured, I'm very happy bringing Holcomb off the bench. He's a very capable band aid backup, but is by no means a starter. Once JP is healthy, get Holcomb off the field.

So I'd start JP, but I wouldn't cut Holcomb. He came here to be the backup, he's making backup money, let him be the backup.

The only reason there was any sort of QB controversy last year was because after finishing 9-7 in 2004 and narrowly missing the playoffs, the fans and the media and the coaching staff all believed we had a top-5 defense and a legit chance at the playoffs.  Once Losman began to struggle, Mularkey decided the team was still good enough to win and maybe the QB was the issue.  So Holcomb won two cupcake home games against the NYJ and Miami, and suddenly we thought we could make a run at the division.

Well, it turns out, the team wasn't good enough.  There were many other glaring issues besides the QB play.  That's why this year, a controversy wouldn't happen.  If JP is named the starter, he will play unless he's injured.  The team is probably not going to the playoffs this year, regardless of the QB.  If JP does get injured, I'm very happy bringing Holcomb off the bench.  He's a very capable band aid backup, but is by no means a starter.  Once JP is healthy, get Holcomb off the field.

So I'd start JP, but I wouldn't cut Holcomb.  He came here to be the backup, he's making backup money, let him be the backup.

743602[/snapback]

Exactly; instead of managing the game JP was put in a position to have to win the games last year and he just didn't have the experience to. I mean if you flipped JP for Ben Roth. 2 years ago you'd see that Ben isn't all that he is cracked up to be either when he has to be the focal point of the offense. I mean what we need is a little patience, more than 8 starts. If the NY fans can live thru Eli's first season or the 49ers can put up with ALex Smith awful rookie campaign then we can cut JP a little slack. Nobody should expect him to be a Pro Bowl QB this or even next year.

I agree....With KH in the shadows, the Vets will always be favoring him, causing a mutiny....I would rather have a Tommy Maddox or Jay Fiedler as the backup who

will support JP and provide the veteran leadership.

why the hell would the cut the ideal backup QB?

743619[/snapback]

No crutch for the veterans when/if JP plays poorly.

What exactly makes Holcomb the ideal backup anyway?

why the hell would the cut the ideal backup QB?

743619[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing myself. Yeah, lets cut the vet back-up who the players respect and has proven he can come in and win a couple games in the pinch. BRILLIANT!

I agree....With KH in the shadows, the Vets will always be favoring him, causing a mutiny....

743610[/snapback]

Anything is possible, but I don't see a mutiny happening. For one thing, the most vocal malcontents are gone. Also, one would hope that JP will play better than he did last year.

Perhaps most important is the fact that if JP does start the season, he will have earned the job this time.