Game observations

Peppers was covering a WR?  I dont' care if Peppers stood there and picked his nose for 3 seconds, when he takes off for the QB, somebody better be there to block him.  There should never be a scenario where the opposing teams best pass rusher goes unblocked.  If there is, we better throw that play out of the playbook!

742433[/snapback]

Well, no. If Peppers is not rushing, you do not wait for him to rush. KH could have gotten rid of the ball on that play. It could have been a broken play, it could have been a mental error on Peters' part but I really don't think so. He did what he is coached to do. KH had time to throw on that play. Peters also fared very well in the real game against Peppers last year, and is clearly the least of our plentiful problems on the OL.

Peppers was covering a WR?  I dont' care if Peppers stood there and picked his nose for 3 seconds, when he takes off for the QB, somebody better be there to block him.  There should never be a scenario where the opposing teams best pass rusher goes unblocked.  If there is, we better throw that play out of the playbook!

742433[/snapback]

So if Peppers doesn't rush you don't block anyone by your rationale? All I'm saying is watch the play and you'll see. If someone isn't rushing you don't block them. Peppers came on a delay. Anyone who knows anything about OL play knows you always, always block from the inside out which is simply what Peters was doing. The guy inside was coming untouched so he moved over to block the inside rusher and then Peppers came from the outside. It is NOT a play in the Bills' playbook. It is what you are supposed to do. If the play goes correctly it is a first down. Peters did what he is required to do on the protection scheme. That is not the Bills playbook that is everyone's playbook on how protection is suppposed to run.

1.Sam Aiken was the best WR out there last night. I have been highly critical of him before, but I do hope he can stick with the team.

2.Kelly Holcomb must go. I have seen enough of him to make that decision. Panthers TV commentator Steve Beurlein said it best on the INT for a TD that Holcomb threw, "It just does'nt get any easier than that for a DB". I hope that Nall becomes our #2 man and maybe we can keep Kingsbury to be the #3.

3.Jason Peters got schooled by Julius Peppers. Oh well, he's still learning.

4.Kyle Williams had the best performance out of all our rookies last night. He definitely made an impression. Watch out Tim Anderson.

5.Lionel Gates was given many chances to shine last night and he did not disappoint. Anthony Thomas was'nt given many opportunities but he does look swifter than before. Shaud Williams is probably the odd man out.

6.Terrence McGee was picked apart. He's still a good CB, but he must play better than that. Hopefully it was just rust.

7.I now believe that J.P. Losman must be given every chance to be the starter now. He had a very shaky start, but he calmed down as the game went on and looked very cool in the pocket, even when he was under pressure. Something we did not see last year. He threw some very pretty tight spirals, and had a good long run on the TD drive. The mistakes he made are correctable. I have much confidence in this guy to be the #1 QB.

8.Brian Moorman is still an all-pro.

9.Ryan Denney was all over the place. He was a beast. Could he become a starter?

10.It was great seeing turnovers being caused by our D. Ko Simpson showed his speed on one fumble recovery. Sadly there were 3 dropped INT's by Ashton Youboty, Jim Leonhard, & Kiwaukee Thomas.

11.We need to get more pressure on the QB. Only 1 sack the whole game. There were about 7-8 times there was pressure.

12. Fullback will be a very interesting battle between Shelton & Ricard. Both players looked good.

13.Jabari Greer might have had the best game of all the DB's last night. Making many solid tackles.

14. The starters had very few penalties. The majority came in the late second half with all the scrubs.

15.For all you Martin Nance fans. He came in late in the game and had one false start penalty. After that, it was the bench for him. Sorry.

Players whose stock rose:

WR Sam Aiken

RB Lionel Gates

QB J.P. Losman

S Matt Bowen

DT Kyle Williams

DE Ryan Denney

CB Jabari Greer

LB Courtney Watson

LB Keith Ellison

CB Ashton Youboty

S Ko Simpson

DE Eric Powell

Players whose stock fell:

QB Kelly Holcomb

WR Andre Davis

OT Matt Morgan

OL Terrance Pennington

DT LaWaylon Brown

So if Peppers doesn't rush you don't block anyone by your rationale?  All I'm saying is watch the play and you'll see.  If someone isn't rushing you don't block them.  Peppers came on a delay.  Anyone who knows anything about OL play knows you always, always block from the inside out which is simply what Peters was doing.  The guy inside was coming untouched so he moved over to block the inside rusher and then Peppers came from the outside.  It is NOT a play in the Bills' playbook.  It is what you are supposed to do.  If the play goes correctly it is a first down. Peters did what he is required to do on the protection scheme.  That is not the Bills playbook that is everyone's playbook on how protection is suppposed to run.

742459[/snapback]

I'll have to go back and look but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a delay. Peters enganged Peppers very briefly, then spotted the blitzing LB and moved to pick him up. It's almost as if he expected WM to pick up Peppers (though WM also went and picked up the blitzing LB).

4.Kyle Williams had the best performance out of all our rookies last night. He definitely made an impression. Watch out Tim Anderson.

9.Ryan Denney was all over the place. He was a beast. Could he become a starter?

742478[/snapback]

These were the two guys I was the most impressed with last night, particularly Williams. The guy was all over the place, crashing through the line and disrupting plays in the backfield. There was one play, near the end of the first half the Panthers were running an inside screen. Williams was rushing up field, saw the screen, stopped and went to pick up the RB. Weinke (sp) got pressured and threw a bad ball but I was still impressed that a rookie in his first pre-season game made the right read.

This was my number one reason for a glimmer of hope: The playcalling MADE SENSE!

i.e. they RAN from the three yard line instead of passing.

Perhaps with a-half-cogent gameplan, the Bills may at least be competitive.

Now, if there's a God, Kelly Holcomb has a pink slip in his locker on Monday.

742322[/snapback]

Yay! JSP got his lithium prescription refilled! :)

;)

Anyone who knows anything about OL play knows you always, always block from the inside out which is simply what Peters was doing.  The guy inside was coming untouched so he moved over to block the inside rusher and then Peppers came from the outside.  It is NOT a play in the Bills' playbook.  It is what you are supposed to do.  If the play goes correctly it is a first down. Peters did what he is required to do on the protection scheme.  That is not the Bills playbook that is everyone's playbook on how protection is suppposed to run.

742459[/snapback]

Okay coach...you have access to the Bills blocking schemes(and every other team in the NFL) and I don't. I'll try to remember that next time I want to make on comment on OL play. ;)

Yay!  JSP got his lithium prescription refilled!  :)

;)

742529[/snapback]

I meant that...one of my major complaints from last year was that Mularkey's playcalling was utterly retarded and therefore set JP's development back a year or more. At least it looks like Jauron and Fairchild understand the importance of mixing it up when necessary and hammering the ball on the ground when it's not.

1. We suck. We sucked. We're doomed. Our starters were rocked. Okay, got that over with.

He He...yeah lets get that out of the way

2. I liked the plays that Fairchild ran, even though they were fairly generic. He called a pretty decent game. For the MOST part, excluding one glaring error on third and short when JP got a delay of game, he got the plays in very fast. They had a couple to the TE and several swing passes to the backs which picked up 3-6 yards a clip. These serve as running plays when your line is getting beat and it was incomprehensible that we haven't seen much of it in the last few years. Except, of course, on 3rd and 11.

Agreed...much better then last year

3. Whitner looked pretty good. Bowen is a solid back-up. Whitner is going to be a fan favorite for a long time, IMO and people are going to say it was a good to great draft pick. He really looks like a player. Fast, hits hard, covers a lot of ground, always around the ball.

The thing about Whitner that is pretty exciting is his speed....when he figures out what he is doing out there he is going to be a terror.....he was just a blur on the tv screen

4. Terrence McGee was just awful but luckily he is one guy we know is actually pretty good. So I am not worrying about him and him getting torched on one drive against a very good team too much.

Yeah...not worried about Mgee

5. Gates looked very good. And not just on his TD run, which was awesome. He ran hard all night and looked good doing it. He's a decent back-up in this league and better make the team.

Does anybody else but me think that Gates could push Magehee right out of the starting lineup if he starts to get an attitude about running hard?  I mean...it looks to me like he can do it all....he catches pass....he runs hard...he is fast...he is hard to bring down....I love him in a non homasexual way...0:)

6.As others said, Kyle Williams had a terrific first game. He already looks stronger than Tim Anderson. I didn't see much out of McCargo.

Kyle Williams is going to be the starter very soon....I knew he was going to be a come from nowhere pick from the start...McCargo looked Quick....

7. Okay, JP: I also thought there really wasn't and isn't a QB competition and this was proved again. He looked terrible on at least five passes, and he held onto the ball too long 2-3 times. Other than that, he played pretty decent. I am not OVERLY concerned about his accuracy, however, because it surely looks to me that it is his personality more than his talent that makes him inaccurate. He just needs to settle down, and that will come with experience. He's a pretty accurate, if not very accurate quarterback when he's comfortable, and you could see it in his game yesterday. He fired more very accurate rockets than misfires.

I want to see what JP is going to do next week with deep threats down the field...I expect at LEAST one deep pass to Evans....there are people that were at the game that said Evans was WIDE OPEN down the field but Holcomb wouldn't attempt to throw him the ball......this competition is OVER after Friday

He looked a lot more decisive and in control than he did last year. Plus, his errant abysmal throws are almost always in the dirt, and are simply incompletions. His worst play of the game was the missed TD to Aikens. He really needs to make that throw and he should have. That was a bad mistake because he had been in rhythm by then, had the time and just blew the pass. He must make that play if he is going to be good in this league. I think he will after the game slows down for him.

Tru Dat

He mostly made the right reads. He threw a lot of different kinds of passes, including some touch throws that he looked good on and some on the run that got to the man. Not a great game, because he started slow and was clearly jittery at the beginning. This guy is going to be VERY good IF he learns to control his emotions. And by that it doesn't mean he has to change as a guy, or not getting excited ot mad at himself. It means ONLY that from the time the ball is snapped until the whistle blows, his adrenaline is 100% zeroed in on making the play and not something out of Wile E. Coyote.

There is just no denying his arm strength.....his balls do not get picked because he it is either a completion by the receiver or a dropped pass (except for the misfires)

8. After the terrible start, and despite the lousy OL play (which, granted, are huge and could truncate the entire season) the team settled down and played pretty decent. The D hits hard and plays hard. They attack the ball and cause turnovers. I really think the DBs are going to be special. I liked Ko Simpson alot, he's big and fast. Greer and King looked solid. Youboty looked a little lost but has some talent.

The Panthers are pretty good and the line has new pieces

9. Jauron looked pretty much in control. His team fought for him, although I realize it's only pre-season. I would have preferred he let JP in to see if he could win the game, and I would have gone for the first down late in the first half (being pre-season and not the regular season) but he looked decent. Although he wasn't faced with a lot of tough calls.

I dont know...there is something about DJ to me that says "I know what the *&$$ I am doing

10. Sam Aiken was the best Bill out there tonight. If he can hang onto the ball like he did, he may finally realize his potential. I am not betting on it but the guy is big, can block, can get open, is a stud on ST, and even showed a little speed. Last night he showed very good hands and we have been told he has been catching everything. He probably just secured a roster spot with that game.

742218[/snapback]

Yeah and Nance didn't do anything with his time