Anyone ever been audited by IRS?

buffalo mike2

for 2003... this is gonna be fun. Business expenses. I traveled for work, but did not get reinbursed for any of it. All legite, but they want receipts. Shredded those two years ago.

741947[/snapback]

Hookers in Malaysia are not a legit business expense, even if it's to "entertain clients".

for 2003... this is gonna be fun. Business expenses. I traveled for work, but did not get reinbursed for any of it. All legite, but they want receipts. Shredded those two years ago.

741947[/snapback]

You shredded receipts used for taxes one year after you had filed on them?

What were you thinking?

;):):o

741947[/snapback]

Just curious, were your expenses high compared to the income? I write stuff off all the time without receipts, especially milage, tolls , parking etc . I have always been worried an audit. But, whats the worse that can happen, ya gotta pay some tax. Worse things in life i spose

Just curious, were your expenses high compared to the income? I write stuff off all the time without receipts, especially milage, tolls , parking etc . I have always been worried an audit. But, whats the worse that can happen, ya gotta pay some tax. Worse things in life i spose

743096[/snapback]

can't they throw you in jail?

worse things i suppose... oh wait

can't they throw you in jail?

worse things i suppose... oh wait

743113[/snapback]

Theoretically...but they'd rather not. Just like loan sharks would rather not break the legs of the guys they loan to: it inhibits the ability to collect their money.

Yes, I just compared the IRS to loan sharks. Seems appropriate...

Theoretically...but they'd rather not.  Just like loan sharks would rather not break the legs of the guys they loan to: it inhibits the ability to collect their money.

Yes, I just compared the IRS to loan sharks.  Seems appropriate...

743131[/snapback]

ya but eventually, they just might find you in a block of cement somewhere...

not sure if i'm talking about the loan sharks or the IRS 0:);)

How extensive is the audit?  I have had partial and phone audits where they asked specific questions and I have to follow up with details in the mail.  Never been called in for a full line by line audit.

742812[/snapback]

Actually it is just a mail in audit right now. I can get cancelled checks and bank statements, since everything does have somewhat of a paper trail. Thanks for an intelligent response, I seem to have gotten the "Three Stooges" to help me along so far...Just thought maybe a good tax person, or even someone who travels at times might chime in. Silly me.

Thanks for an intelligent response, I seem to have gotten the "Three Stooges" to help me along so far...Just thought maybe a good tax person, or even someone who travels at times might chime in. Silly me.

743268[/snapback]

This is a Bills message board, my man. You will eventually find someone who can help you, but don't be shocked if some others poke a little fun. That's just the way it goes. By the way, if it's serious replies you are looking for, I believe the IRS has their own message board. You may find some anwers at:

www.grabyourankles.com

0:)

743096[/snapback]

Yes, like I said I do not get reinbursed for anything I put out. I traveled to Kentucky from Florida that year, and paid expenses- including rent and utilities in both states all from one paycheck. Thanks, I probably will have to pay something.

Actually it is just a mail in audit right now. I can get cancelled checks and bank statements, since everything does have somewhat of a paper trail. Thanks for an intelligent response, I seem to have gotten the "Three Stooges" to help me along so far...Just thought maybe a good tax person, or even someone who travels at times might chime in. Silly me.

743268[/snapback]

You have been observing/posting here since Sec. of '05 and had a different expectation. My uncle used to work for the IRS, and then was an exec with Kodak, when I went to him for advice when being audited he told me "just give them the money". The reason was that I would get into a protracted battle with them and still lose. I fought it for several months and then realized it was good advice. I lost something to the tune of $700. I hope it doesn't go past the mail in for you. I am far from an expert, but as I recall cancelled checks are no longer acceptable. Do you use an accountant at all? It may be a stupid question, but does he have copies?

Good luck.

I seem to have gotten the "Three Stooges" to help me along so far...

743268[/snapback]

Now listen here you numbskull (doink!), you shred your income tax receipts after two years of filing the return, see? And now you think you deserve better than some canned Three Stooges responses?

Sointenlly. Nyuk-nyuk.