Losman is the starter ...

Fox & Hound (4th & Guadalupe!)

My boss is taping the replay on NFL Network for me, should be able to watch it Monday night!

742069[/snapback]

Ahh, gotcha.

Unfortunately I was stuck all day helping my girlfriend move to her new apartment. :D

I need to catch some games with you guys at the Fox and Hound for sure tho.

Ahh, gotcha.

Unfortunately I was stuck all day helping my girlfriend move to her new apartment. ;)

I need to catch some games with you guys at the Fox and Hound for sure tho.

742083[/snapback]

Just be happy you were helping your girlfriend move into "her" apartment, not "your" apartment! :D

I truly wonder if Jauron truly believes there is much of a competition ... or does he know that Losman will be the starter come regular season.

742037[/snapback]

I think its all a brilliant scheme by Jauron to set up Losman as the starter. Part of it is so the veterans "believe" in him as a leader. Or something like that...

I was at the game. The one thing I was seeing early in the game (up until half time) was that our receivers were not getting separation from the DB's. How can you have that much speed and not get open?

My son who was also at the game with me said he saw one of the receivers standing still as JP was getting pressured. My son is not a big x's and o'x guy, so for him to notice that it had to be bad. He did not know number of the player. Our seats were hanging from the clouds.

With Losman in the game with the second and third teamers I thought the bills took the wrong approach. The chance of Losman getting hurt was there.

Wouln't that have been great if JP goes down with a torn ACL season ending injury.

Do like the the start of the season with KH as your starter!

I say announce JP is the starter for the regular season and give him the majority of the snaps. Holcomb is out the race. Tell Nall "sorry son but you missed too much valuable time and we needed to move forward. But keep working hard in practice and in mop-up duty and we'll give you an opportunity later-on (i.e. in-season if JP struggles) to win the job."

Enough already!

Fox & Hound (4th & Guadalupe!)

My boss is taping the replay on NFL Network for me, should be able to watch it Monday night!

742069[/snapback]

Austin Represent! How many Bills Fans do guys get down there?

On to the QB Debate.... I Think it's pretty clear the KH played about as well as Jauron expected him to, which is why he was pulled "early". KH started to avoid the same crap that happened last year with the vets. It was about showing respect.

I think you'll see KH have a short game on Friday as well.

This game confirmed that the Bills probably have the worst QB tandem in the league. Holcomb is just an average backup at best. JP has great potential but he still resembles a rookie. The bounce passes on easy out patterns are horrible. That shows me he is worried too much about aiming the ball instead of throwing instinctively. Most of the sacks were due to pocket unawareness imo, not the line. He needs to feel the pressure better. Basically, JP has a great arm and wheels but unless a guy is wide open, he just doesn't have the accuracy to be a great NFL QB. This could all change and JP could be awesome but he's just not there yet. I also worry about him getting injured. He would be my starter over Holcomb though.

I say announce JP is the starter for the regular season and give him the majority of the snaps.  Holcomb is out the race.  Tell Nall "sorry son but you missed too much valuable time and we needed to move forward.  But keep working hard in practice and in mop-up duty and we'll give you an opportunity later-on (i.e. in-season if JP struggles) to win the job."

Enough already!

742189[/snapback]

Actually, I think Nall was the big winner last night. Had Holcomb also played well, Nall probably would have been out of the running. But Holcomb's struggles opened the door for Nall to mount a serious challenge for the #2 job next week. Given that he's a Levy/Jauron signing, you can bet they'll give him plenty of chances this week. If he can take it away from Holcomb, then he's got a real chance of winning the starting job if not in preseason, a few weeks down the road should Losman falter in the regular season.

I truly wonder if Jauron truly believes there is much of a competition ... or does he know that Losman will be the starter come regular season.

742037[/snapback]

He has known JP will be the starter since the day he took the job.

So has Levy.

So have all the players on the team.

This has never been a "real" competition. And it never should have been with the other QBs on the roster.

I say announce JP is the starter for the regular season and give him the majority of the snaps.  Holcomb is out the race.  Tell Nall "sorry son but you missed too much valuable time and we needed to move forward.  But keep working hard in practice and in mop-up duty and we'll give you an opportunity later-on (i.e. in-season if JP struggles) to win the job."

Enough already!

742189[/snapback]

Exactly; there shouldn't be a competition from this point forward (shouldn't have been one from the beginning!) Being that KH is a career backup so has proved nothing and a stopgap QB with no upside unless he is playing head and shoulders better than JP who is young and a 1st round pick then it is a no brainer. I can see if the rest of the team was standout and JP was losing games for us by throwing int's for TD's or fumbling the ball. KH is suppose to be a veteran but he still turns the ball over and doesn't make any thing happens with his feet or his arm. Just because he has a high completion percentage throwing 5 yard passes shouldn't give him an edge. Even though I'm not a Drew Bledsoe fan, I can at least see a QB competition between him and JP for at least Drew has accomplish something in this league and still has a rocket arm; KH has nothing to offer but to be a game manager.

Austin Represent! How many Bills Fans do guys get down there?

742195[/snapback]

Actually, there was only about 6 of us there last night, which dwindled down to 2, when it was clear that they were not going to be able to show the Bills/Panthers game outright...we had to settle for the NFL Network live update show. They had other games (Green Bay, Saint/Titans, Texans/Chiefs, etc)...it is always kind of dicey during the preseason. Come regular season though, there are noramally anywhere from 40 (Sept thru mid October) to about 25 as the season wears on...the bar is a little too slick for my taste, but they do give us a really great set up, with a humungous screen & sound, in once section of the bar, flanked by two smaller tv's showing other games...if you want to see more, you have to stroll the bar a little, every game is on...I am pretty sure Bills fans make up the largest regular faction of fans during the regular season...the place I used to go was more of a Steelers and Packers bar...

This game confirmed that the Bills probably have the worst QB tandem in the league.  Holcomb is just an average backup at best.  JP has great potential but he still resembles a rookie.  The bounce passes on easy out patterns are horrible.  That shows me he is worried too much about aiming the ball instead of throwing instinctively.    Most of the sacks were due to pocket unawareness imo, not the line.  He needs to feel the pressure better.  Basically, JP has a great arm and wheels but unless a guy is wide open, he just doesn't have the accuracy to be a great NFL QB.  This could all change and JP could be awesome but he's just not there yet.  I also worry about him getting injured. He would be my starter over Holcomb though.

742196[/snapback]

As usual, you claim to be unbiased, yet throw out statements like the sacks were due to "pocket unawareness."

You are either a biased fool, or someone who needs to watch more football before commenting.

Holcomb looked rough. I know he played against the starting Carolina D but I can't imagine anyone looking worse than he did tonight. I think Nall with his blown hammy probably could have mustered 4 or so 3 and outs and a pick for a TD.

742022[/snapback]

I didn't see the game so all I'm going on are stats and what I've read, but why is everyone claiming Holcomb should be demoted to third on the depth chart or released? He only threw the ball 4 times! Yes he threw an interception, but come on, give the guy a break. Four passes against one of the best D's in the league, with little help from the O line and running game, and he is vilified?

McGahee had 5 yards on 3 attempts but no one is suggesting he be released.

I'm not saying he should start. I'm not saying he's better than JP. All I'm saying is we shouldn't judge anyone on 4 plays.

I didn't see the game so all I'm going on are stats and what I've read, but why is everyone claiming Holcomb should be demoted to third on the depth chart or released? He only threw the ball 4 times! Yes he threw an interception, but come on, give the guy a break. Four passes against one of the best D's in the league, with little help from the O line and running game, and he is vilified?

I'm not saying he should start. I'm not saying he's better than JP. All I'm saying is we shouldn't judge anyone on 4 plays.

742420[/snapback]

It was mostly the interception returned for the TD. Just a terribe play. And most people are saying that you know what you got in Holcomb, and that he's consistent and smart and a veteran. But if he is not going to do even that, why even bother. It was three horrible passes out of four attempts.

This game confirmed that the Bills probably have the worst QB tandem in the league.  Holcomb is just an average backup at best.  JP has great potential but he still resembles a rookie.  The bounce passes on easy out patterns are horrible.  That shows me he is worried too much about aiming the ball instead of throwing instinctively.    Most of the sacks were due to pocket unawareness imo, not the line.  He needs to feel the pressure better.  Basically, JP has a great arm and wheels but unless a guy is wide open, he just doesn't have the accuracy to be a great NFL QB.  This could all change and JP could be awesome but he's just not there yet.  I also worry about him getting injured. He would be my starter over Holcomb though.

742196[/snapback]

Rather than repost, I'll just link.

My .02

Look at the stats. I know they are not completely telling but it gives something to compare to.

742420[/snapback]

If you had seen the game, you would understand why everyone is on the "slam Holcomb bandwagon".

In the entire 1st quarter, he never attempted to throw more than 5 yards downfield. His 2nd incompletion was a bounce pass about 5 yards down the middle of the field (so Kelly was about 8 yards away from his intended receiver) on a 3rd down.

And the sack he took on 3rd and 3 (1st or 2nd "drive"), he HAD time to throw the ball but neither got the ball off (could have been due to coverage, I doubt it, but it's possible) nor did he attempt to move from the pocket at all (very Bledsoe-esque).

The interception was a throw that only 1 player on the field had ANY chance of catching and he hit the man right in the hands, unfortunately the man was wearing a stylized black cat on his hat. It cut against what Kelly's strengths supposedly are - good decision making and accurate throws on short routes.

It was by far the worst that I have seen Kelly look since coming to the Bills. And while the coaches did him no favors by making him go against Carolina's starters, they did give him the short plays that he normally can do well with.

To be completely honest, I wouldnt mind if Losman just played the entire game of the remaining three pre-season games. Screw injury probability ...

741976[/snapback]

I agree. The gain outweighs the risk. Bills need Losman to get capable and that wont happen sharing snaps with a retread qb like Holcombe.