Succession Plan

Went to training camp yesterday. Great to see Marv walk the sidelines again.

I have to imagine that one of the tasks that Ralph gave Marv was to come up with a succession plan for himself (being 81...probably a good idea). Given the state of the relationship between Schottenheimer and A.J. Smith in San Diego, I'd love to see A.J. come back to Buffalo in a couple of years (cause, I don;t think Polian's coming back).

He'll be alright, that's what John Guy is for.

And Modrak will also help, albeit from Florida.

739027[/snapback]

Yeah, I think Overdorf is kinda a GM in a sense right now. I think Marv was brought in to stabalize and bring respectablity back into the org (at least internally).

Went to training camp yesterday. Great to see Marv walk the sidelines again.

I have to imagine that one of the tasks that Ralph gave Marv was to come up with a succession plan for himself (being 81...probably a good idea). Given the state of the relationship between Schottenheimer and A.J. Smith in San Diego, I'd love to see A.J. come back to Buffalo in a couple of years (cause, I don;t think Polian's coming back).

738960[/snapback]

A.J. Smith broke too many bridges with Ralph when he moved with Butler to

San Diego...

One guy I might keep in the radar is Ferguson who went from Buffalo to

the Cardinals (Don't know where he is)....But I thought he could go on

to be a good GM.

Seattle.

One guy I might keep in the radar is Ferguson who went from Buffalo to

the Cardinals (Don't know where he is)....But I thought he could go on

to be a good GM.

739103[/snapback]

I really don't think either Overdorf or Lester will succeed Levy. I don't think Lester is strong enough to head up the personnel aspect of the Bills organization which is what the GM does. I disagree with Riico that it's enough for Overdorf to rely on Modrak for personnel decisions. I think the GM has to have a feel for both players and coaches. You can call Overdorf a GM but he's still a numbers cruncher. Tom Modrak likes living in Florida too much to have any more involvement with the Bills than he already has.

A J Smith is a real possibility though.

I really don't think either Overdorf or Lester will succeed Levy.  I don't think Lester is strong enough to head up the personnel aspect of the Bills organization which is what the GM does.  I disagree with Riico that it's enough for Overdorf to rely on Modrak for personnel decisions.  I think the GM has to have a feel for both players and coaches.  You can call Overdorf a GM but he's still a numbers cruncher.  Tom Modrak likes living in Florida too much to have any more involvement with the Bills than he already has.

739702[/snapback]

Jim Overdorf

Vice President of Football Administration

19th Year with Bills

Was promoted to Vice President of Football Operations in January 2006...in his new role, Overdorf will oversee all aspects of football administration...he will work closely with Bills General Manager Marv Levy and Head Coach Dick Jauron and take on an increased focus in contract negotiations and salary cap management...will also serve as a vital element in the Bills pursuit of free agents...will also oversee all team travel and serve as the team's liaison to the NFL Management Council...

He's being groomed for the role right now IMO. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think AJ left the team on very good terms... I think Ganesh is right here. I'd like to see Chris Polian myself, but I think Jimmy O will be the man.

I really don't think either Overdorf or Lester will succeed Levy.  I don't think Lester is strong enough to head up the personnel aspect of the Bills organization which is what the GM does.  I disagree with Riico that it's enough for Overdorf to rely on Modrak for personnel decisions.  I think the GM has to have a feel for both players and coaches.  You can call Overdorf a GM but he's still a numbers cruncher.  Tom Modrak likes living in Florida too much to have any more involvement with the Bills than he already has.

I was kidding about Lester. And no way AJS comes back to Buffalo.

739702[/snapback]

AJ Smith has burnt all his bridges with Wilson, when he made his comments walking out of the RWS with Butler to San diego...

BTW Donahoe started as a ball boy for the steelers and grew into being the

Director of football operations (or some such title) within the steelers....So

why not LESTER.....

Go Lester :rolleyes:

BTW Donahoe started as a ball boy for the steelers and grew into being the

Director of football operations (or some such title) within the steelers....So

why not LESTER.....

Go Lester  :rolleyes:

739786[/snapback]

Could be, after all, it's Ralph...

Weirder things have happened (see Harvey Johnson)