Cap Update 8/9

Just a quick update for those interested........I presently have the Bills $11,796,635 under an "adjusted" salary cap of $101,865,911 with $15,000,892 "dead cap" ..............HOWEVER

These numbers do not include bonuses for Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, or Peters

Thus, I suspect the Bills are somewhere $6-8 million under........

Cap page will be updated after the first cuts

Thanks Clumpy....

I wonder if Nate will get signed or if we might be saving the $ for some free agents....

We shall see, its nice that we have some $ to play with though....good things are comin' our way!

738954[/snapback]

Thanx, clumpy. In addition to Nate, it will be nice to lock up McGahee and (if he plays well) Losman.

Thank you Clump. Good work as usual.

I am really curious as to how much of the guaranteed cash for Whitner is bonus money, and how much is first year salary.

If it is salary, we would have untold millions in cap space next season. If it is bonus money, we should have enough to sign Nate now (should he be willing).

Is that about right?

It's a huge relief to know that the Bills are finally running a fiscally sound program, and have some room to go after players who "fit the mold" of what Levy and Jauron want to do.

738983[/snapback]

Agreed, and this is why I for one praised the cuts that were made. Many of them will save us a bundle in 07 too, which is at least as important as now. Marv could have kept the old timers around, but I sense that doing so would have resulted in little gain.

I don't believe the Nate discussion can continue to after the season, or atleast they have decided to go that route. Of Course I might be thinking of Briere and the Sabres here so somebody correct me if needed <_<

It's a huge relief to know that the Bills are finally running a fiscally sound program, and have some room to go after players who "fit the mold" of what Levy and Jauron want to do.

738983[/snapback]

I think the bills were sound financially under the Donahoe regime...It was more

of free spending during the butler era, when they paid 5M+ each for two QBs on

the team when only one could play.

Thanx, clumpy. In addition to Nate, it will be nice to lock up McGahee and (if he plays well) Losman.

738980[/snapback]

Then they can extend Coy Wire ;)

Hey, if they can throw 10M at Reed, why not some love for the best ST player

on the team <_<

I think the bills were sound financially under the Donahoe regime...It was more

of free spending during the butler era, when they paid 5M+ each for two QBs on

the team when only one could play.

739200[/snapback]

Donahoe made a mistake with a QB contract as well.

More cap space will be opened up once the final roster is set. It's not likely to include anyone of substantial cap savings so maybe $1.5-2.0 million will be opened up.......

My first priority would be someone like Kelsay or McGahee......I believe Clements will be playing his last season in B-Lo.....Bills cannot franchise him again and since his demands are ridiculous....I suspect he's a goner.

More cap space will be opened up once the final roster is set. It's not likely to include anyone of substantial cap savings so maybe $1.5-2.0 million will be opened up.......

My first priority would be someone like Kelsay or McGahee......I believe Clements will be playing his least season in B-Lo.....Bills cannot franchise him again and since his demands are ridiculous....I suspect he's a goner.

739722[/snapback]

I assume you meant "last" -- not "least" -- and I tend to agree. Reports are that McGee is already outplaying him as a corner. The Bills have quite a bit of secondary depth -- right Bill? :lol: -- and losing Clements next year isn't the end of the world. I'd much rather focus efforts on locking up McGahee; I have a good feeling about how he's going to play this year.

The Bills have quite a bit of secondary depth -- right Bill? :lol: -- and losing Clements next year isn't the end of the world.

739731[/snapback]

The end of the world? No. Not unless the Bills draft yet another 1st round DB as they have done 7 times since 1990. If you do check this link, look at how early so many other dbs were drafted by the Bills. Do you make the case that this is a good draft philosophy?

This is the point that I have been trying to make to you. Our best draft resources are generally used on small "skill" players. We have selected early corners time and again, only to let them walk and then climb back aboard on this losing merry go-round. To his credit, TD might have stopped (or at least slowed) this absurd trend by extending MaGee.

If Levy extends the contract of Nate, it gives us a better chance of going after big guys early in the next draft. More often that not, this is how winning teams are built. Cincy and Pitt are good examples of relatively small market, cold weather franchises who built their teams as such.

It isn't the ONLY way to win, but our way has been looking bad for a while now.

In any event, let's just focus on having a healthy season, and hoping that a winning football team is being constructed in WNY.

The end of the world? No. Not unless the Bills draft yet another 1st round DB as they have done 7 times since 1990. If you do check this link, look at how early so many other dbs were drafted by the Bills. Do you make the case that this is a good draft philosophy?

This is the point that I have been trying to make to you. Our best draft resources are generally used on small "skill" players. We have selected early corners time and again, only to let them walk and then climb back aboard on this losing merry go-round. To his credit, TD might have stopped (or at least slowed) this absurd trend by extending MaGee.

If Levy extends the contract of Nate, it gives us a better chance of going after  big guys early in the next draft. More often that not, this is how winning teams are built. Cincy and Pitt are good examples of relatively small market, cold weather franchises who built their teams as such.

It isn't the ONLY way to win, but our way has been looking bad for a while now.

In any event, let's just focus on having a healthy season, and hoping that a winning football team is being constructed in WNY.

739770[/snapback]

Actually, my point was that the Bills may already have a few DBs on the roster who will be ready to step into a starting CB role next year if Clements walks, so the Bills won't have to spend a round one pick on the position.

My first priority would be someone like Kelsay or McGahee

739722[/snapback]

IMO if Kelsay doesn't show dramatic improvement this year, he is gone. There is no way I would pay him 1 red cent more until he proves he's worth it in the regular season.

IMO if Kelsay doesn't show dramatic improvement this year, he is gone. There is no way I would pay him 1 red cent more until he proves he's worth it in the regular season.

739780[/snapback]

Didn't we hear the same thing last year about Denney...

Didn't we hear the same thing last year about Denney...

740174[/snapback]

Yeah... and the smart move was to wait until after the season was over to re-sign him.

Denney showed me more last year than Kelsay has in all 3 years combined in. Right now, I think Denney's got some game, and Kelsay is a BUST... time for CK to finally step up.

Actually, my point was that the Bills may already have a few DBs on the roster who will be ready to step into a starting CB role next year if Clements walks, so the Bills won't have to spend a round one pick on the position.

739775[/snapback]

You are correct in that they won't have to, but a case could be made that they were never forced to draft first round dbs. Levy seemed so hell-bent on taking Whitner at #8 that he spurned generous offers to trade down. If we lose Nate, it would be nuts to think that Marv will not continue allocate huge resources to replace him. History tells us that this is what he does.

I guess where we differ is in our opinions on how to build a winning football team.

Since RJ, the Bills have used up a 1st (9th pick), a 4th, another 1st (Bledsoe, only to let him go for no compensation AND a cap hit), and yet another 1st, 2nd, and a 5th (for JP, who has shown next to nothing). Almost all of the rest of the early picks were spent on defensive backs and small receivers, and the team continues to lose. Marv came back and not only continued this losing tradition; he accelerated it, and gave away yet another pick while doing so.

Again, all we can do is hope that we stay healthy and are somehow on the road to playing winning football.