Camp tidbits

ans4e64

I went to the night practice tonight and i'll be there on saturday as well, here's some things i noticed.

- Both Losman and Holcomb were good at times and sucked at times. However, i liked a few things from JP that i didnt see last year. He never even came close to running, just stepped aside and threw. Also he threw a beautiful touch pass that he layed over 2 defenders and under another to Jonathan Smith who was in the middle.... thats right i said JP and touch pass in the same sentence. Bad things from JP was inconsistency and accuracy, he threw a couple passes into the ground.

- Spikes and Crowell switched at playin the strong side and weak side.

- Fletcher is listed at 5'9'' and Crowell at 6'1'', but anyone who gets the chance to look at them i swear crowell is only a half inch to an inch taller than fletcher, i dont know if that means crowell is shorter or fletcher is taller but i just noticed it.

- Jonathan Smith looked real good, and i wouldnt be suprised to see him playin reciever this year in some areas.

- DE Joshua Cooper looked like an all star. I literally couldnt believe my eyes, he put a move on mike gandy where the whole crowd gave an "ooooooooo". The next play he ran around gandy like he was cemented to the ground. I dont know who this guys is or where he came from, but for one practice at least, he looked real good, i'll be watching him closely on saturday to see how much of a fluke this was.

-Brad Butler is a putz.

- Peerless looked better than i expected, actually made some nice catches, a few even over the middle.

- Ryan Nuefeld looks like he is on steroids, he is an absolute beast, too bad he cant play.

- I dont know what happened to Brad Cieslak in the last year but he looks a 100 times better.

-Willis McGahee is ridiculously thin, and yes believe the hype that he is faster and his burst is back because it is.

- They've got Chris Kelsay at RE on the 2nd team.

- Tripplett is a beast and McCargo is so quick off the line, kyle williams look decent also.

- Personally i still dont think kevin everett is fully recovered, i didnt see anything from him and his left (i think) calf is still significantly smaller from not being on his leg for some time.

- I just dont know what josh stamer has to do to get on the field. I said this last year as well but i honestly think with our good LB's corps he could go to another team and start.

Hope this helps, remember this was also just one practice, so dont get too excited or disappointed, lets see some games!!! Go Bills.

- DE Joshua Cooper looked like an all star. I literally couldnt believe my eyes, he put a move on mike gandy where the whole crowd gave an "ooooooooo". The next play he ran around gandy like he was cemented to the ground. I dont know who this guys is or where he came from, but for one practice at least, he looked real good, i'll be watching him closely on saturday to see how much of a fluke this was.

- Tripplett is a beast and McCargo is so quick off the line, kyle williams look decent also.

733334[/snapback]

Thanks for these tid bits.

From today:

The DT competition in favour of Williams or Anderson?

How was Denney?

Cooper the keeper from the "other" DE's (or Gandy needs improvement?)

How did Kelsay do with the shift?

Any 11-11 with both Tripps and Pants together?

Keep the reports coming.

Thanks

Some more tidbits:

Spent most of practice with #89 which made the evening REAL cool.

The practice was on the grass fields not the turf, which was practical but also sucked. I was really looking forward to the stadium not the bleachers. It obstructed our view of a LOT of what was happening. For some reason, that turf (same stuff at the Ralph) acts like an oven. :doh:

There was some shade and a cool breeze. I am going back Thursday. My son and I left about 8:45 to beat the crowd. It was getting to be dusk anyway and the grass fields have no lights!

* JP looks a lot more confident

* "Fast Freddy" Smith looks very good indeed, speedy with stickum hands.

* Lionel Gates saw a lot of action and looked fine.

* Time to move on with the Joe Burns experiment. he looked slow and clumsy.

* Kevin Everett showed me nothing at TE, hope he can make a comeback

* Kelly Holcomb looks like a competent backup.

* lots of passes to Shaud Williams, Willis, and Gates in drills.

* Jason Peters is very efficient on long snaps

* Marv looks old.

* Roscoe Parrish is a gazelle.

Play of the night (for me) JP hand off to Willis, the left side of the line pulls to block for him, BUT Willis catches Peerless coming back against the seam, on a reverse that was perfectly executed and in a game would have been at least a 40 yard run. Peerless has not lost a step.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for your report. I heard the "ooooo" from the crowd but could not see what had happened. Hopefully Thursday night practice comes complete with some elevation so we can see more of the action.

DAMN nice to be back at camp. :lol:

I went to the night practice tonight and i'll be there on saturday as well, here's some things i noticed.

- Both Losman and Holcomb were good at times and sucked at times. However, i liked a few things from JP that i didnt see last year. He never even came close to running, just stepped aside and threw. Also he threw a beautiful touch pass that he layed over 2 defenders and under another to Jonathan Smith who was in the middle.... thats right i said JP and touch pass in the same sentence. Bad things from JP was inconsistency and accuracy, he threw a couple passes into the ground.

- Fletcher is listed at 5'9'' and Crowell at 6'1'', but anyone who gets the chance to look at them i swear crowell is only a half inch to an inch taller than fletcher, i dont know if that means crowell is shorter or fletcher is taller but i just noticed it.

- Jonathan Smith looked real good, and i wouldnt be suprised to see him playin reciever this year in some areas.

-Brad Butler is a putz.

- Peerless looked better than i expected, actually made some nice catches, a few even over the middle.

- Ryan Nuefeld looks like he is on steroids, he is an absolute beast, too bad he cant play.

- I dont know what happened to Brad Cieslak in the last year but he looks a 100 times better.

-Willis McGahee is ridiculously thin, and yes believe the hype that he is faster and his burst is back because it is.

- Personally i still dont think kevin everett is fully recovered, i didnt see anything from him and his left (i think) calf is still significantly smaller from not being on his leg for some time.

- I just dont know what josh stamer has to do to get on the field. I said this last year as well but i honestly think with our good LB's corps he could go to another team and start.

Hope this helps, remember this was also just one practice, so dont get too excited or disappointed, lets see some games!!! Go Bills.

733334[/snapback]

Good report. Thanks!

I've heard several people say Fast Freddie looks better than anticipated. (Quick everyone, go find that WR prediction thread and update your choices!) The WR cuts are going to be interesting this year.

Some more tidbits:

Spent most of practice with #89 which made the evening REAL cool.

DAMN nice to be back at camp.  :doh:

733370[/snapback]

Say hi to #89 for me... hope she was wearing appropriate shoes :lol:

The DT competition in favour of Williams or Anderson?

i'd say anderson still has the number 2 job by default, but i wouldnt be suprised if when the regular season starts mCCargo takes the job. But also keep in mind that with the DT's it doesnt really matter who is the official number 2 because they will be rotating so much.

How was Denney?

i didnt really see denney at all, i dont know if it was because he wasnt making plays or i just wasnt watching him.

Cooper the keeper from the "other" DE's (or Gandy needs improvement?)

Ive got to keep an eye on him in future practices and games, but based on the fact that he is "josh cooper" i'd say gandy should be embarrassed

How did Kelsay do with the shift?

i didnt specifically watch him and denney but the reason i did was because he stood out on the right side. He looked very good over there, but it was against the second team, and he should have looked good.

Did Nance get any balls thrown his way? If so, how'd he look?

733390[/snapback]

i watched him in the individual drills and he is huge, he looked very comfortable catching the balls and never struggled. During the 7-7 and 11-11 i didnt see him get any balls but if he did it wasnt much.

Great reports, guys...but didn't those white helmets look sweet?  :doh:

733441[/snapback]

dude, i was just going to post the same thing/ask that question b/c i could swear i saw a picture in D&C and they were wearing the white helmets. i know the whole jersey issue is overblown and irrelevant but i just can't get over how much i hate the current jersey (mostly the white) and love the old helmets.

it was just a one-time thing, right..... :lol:

Usually early in camp all we hear is how the offense is struggling because the defense is quicker to gel. And how the defense is always ahead of the curve when it comes to camp. It's refreshing not to hear that this year. I know it's very early, but DB use to use that excuse in every training camp interview. It actually looks like the offense is progressing quickly. Now this could just mean that our defense isn't that good, but still a nice change.

-Brad Butler is a putz.

733334[/snapback]

Thanks for the report.

Boy, in camp report after camp report, we are hearing the same thing. First, neither QB is clearly outplaying the other. Second, JP continues to have problems with accuracy. When we drafted JP, I can't believe anyone was thinking, "hey, maybe he will be slightly better than Kelly Holcomb, yippeee" . I've believed for sometime now that JP's real problem last year was, quite simply, accuracy. He was flat out missing too many open WR's on too many occasions. Often on short routes. I haven't seen him in camp yet but from the reports posted here, he is still struggling with accuracy. Not a good sign folks.

Thanks for the report.

Boy, in camp report after camp report, we are hearing the same thing.  First, neither QB is clearly outplaying the other.  Second, JP continues to have problems with accuracy.  When we drafted JP, I can't believe anyone was thinking, "hey, maybe he will be slightly better than Kelly Holcomb, yippeee" .  I've believed for sometime now that JP's real problem last year was, quite simply, accuracy.  He was flat out missing too many open WR's on too many occasions.  Often on short routes.  I haven't seen him in camp yet but from the reports posted here, he is still struggling with accuracy.  Not a good sign folks.

733471[/snapback]

From what I read. All but 6 passes were completed last night and one of those was dropped by the receiver and on another one the receiver fell down. That's pretty accurate, if you ask me.

From what I read. All but 6 passes were completed last night and one of those was dropped by the receiver and on another one the receiver fell down. That's pretty accurate, if you ask me.

Yeah. In the interview after practice with JP, the reporter says to him "there were just 1 or 2 incompletions for you..."

But hey, keep those reports coming! I like hearing everyone's angle.

-

733334[/snapback]

This is good news if your observations are true. I will be going to camp soon and will look for that as well.