Dick Jauron's clock management

From the article in the Buffalo News on Sunday: Traning Camp Preview #1

Was anyone else thrilled to read this:

Like Levy, there is no doubt about Jauron's intellect. Miller gave Jauron high marks for game-day coaching.

"We won three or four games in 2001 because of Dick's clock management," Miller said. "When do we call timeout? What part of the field are we on? What do we need to do to protect a lead? There was no confusion on the sideline about what we needed to do."

I think MM lost the Bills at least a game or two last year due to his poor clock management.

Actually, the whole article was pretty good. I was not aware of the issues he went through in terms of getting good coaches versus the timing of his hiring, dealing with a new GM, etc., and completely forgot about the year they played away from Soldier Field during the remodel.

But in particular, I was struck with the way he treats his players. Yeah, I know, some people can be too nice and whatever, but in my experience you get the most out of your staff if you have a genuine interest in them as people, and treat them as such. Visiting Villarial's wife in the hospital is just one of those things you don't just do for the sake of doing it. You can't teach that kind of compassion.

I was not high on the Jauron pick because I don't know anything about hiring coaches and though the Sherman pick was the way to go.

But I'll be curious as to how this team reacts under his ruling. To say the least, he ain't Mularkey, so there's addition by subtraction.

Actually, the whole article was pretty good. I was not aware of the issues he went through in terms of getting good coaches versus the timing of his hiring, dealing with a new GM, etc., and completely forgot about the year they played away from Soldier Field during the remodel.

But in particular, I was struck with the way he treats his players. Yeah, I know, some people can be too nice and whatever, but in my experience you get the most out of your staff if you have a genuine interest in them as people, and treat them as such. Visiting Villarial's wife in the hospital is just one of those things you don't just do for the sake of doing it. You can't teach that kind of compassion.

I was not high on the Jauron pick because I don't know anything about hiring coaches and though the Sherman pick was the way to go.

But I'll be curious as to how this team reacts under his ruling. To say the least, he ain't Mularkey, so there's addition by subtraction.

728570[/snapback]

Mularkey's idea on how to motivate players and engender team spirit: a cheeseburger party! And he had to solicit advice to come up with that. MM = first class idiot who could study for 20 years and not become a competent head coach.

Addition by subtraction, indeed.

Mularkey's idea on how to motivate players and engender team spirit: a cheeseburger party!

728603[/snapback]

That must have been one expensive party, Between Bennie, Sam, and MW, I'd imagine there wasn't much left for anyone else. No wonder Roscoe is so small, he can't fight his way into the Buffet table after a game because of them

how about all of them.

728616[/snapback]

Oh great, we should be undefeated then.

I don't know anything about Jauron's clock management, but I do know he's in the same company as Mularkey with regards to having blown a 21pt 2nd half lead against one of our division rivals; and that wasn't on the road.

I've heard Juron is a good sideline coach. I didn't think Mularkey was awful - but he did make mistakes as most rookie/2nd year head coaches do. And that hamburger deal... does anyone actually think he wanted that to become such an issue? I'm not here to defend this guy - but c'mon - you can't blame a coach for doing something small like that. We fans get way too much info sometimes.

Hands down, however, Chuck Knox was the worst clock manager we've ever had. I believe Chuck thought you could save up timeouts for the end of the season.

Mularkey's idea on how to motivate players and engender team spirit: a cheeseburger party!  And he had to solicit advice to come up with that.  MM = first class idiot who could study for 20 years and not become a competent head coach.

Addition by subtraction, indeed.

728603[/snapback]

I believe that is an oxymoron! <_<

728570[/snapback]

well said. i agree, and i like jauron.

1) Do people realize/remember that Levy's first choice was actually Mularkey?

2) That snippet from the article is encouraging - but it's also the opposite of everything I've heard about Jauron - I've heard lots about his POOR clock-management. So, we'll see...

I've heard Juron is a good sideline coach.  I didn't think Mularkey was awful - but he did make mistakes as most rookie/2nd year head coaches do.  And that hamburger deal... does anyone actually think he wanted that to become such an issue?  I'm not here to defend this guy - but c'mon - you can't blame a coach for doing something small like that.  We fans get way too much info sometimes.

Hands down, however, Chuck Knox was the worst clock manager we've ever had.  I believe Chuck thought you could save up timeouts for the end of the season.

728788[/snapback]

Good and fair points. When the hamburger deal first came out 2 years ago, many of us saw that as a positive for MM. After all, he had made the effort to reach out to another, more seasoned and successful head coach (in this case Andy Reid). Recall that this happened right before the Seattle road trip at a time, when we had not been successful winning on the road in quite some time. Now, the burger bit became a poster child for changing things up and probably had little to do with the team's sudden ability to play well on the road. (Recall that the Bills won all of their road games for the remainder of the season.) It didn't become a joke until last year, when MM and his entire staff seemingly became retarded overnight.