Arena says US team not ready to compete for WC

Hardy Pyle

Wow, this guy has really been pissing me off lately....He should really just STFU about the national team from this point forward.

You know....he could've told us this before I invested about 6 hours of my life watching them not score.

725405[/snapback]

LOL

what does he still think HE's coaching the national team?

725412[/snapback]

He's a dick. He needs to just stfu and go coach his little MLS team. Hopefully Klinsmann will be here soon and we can actually get a winning mentality going again.

YAAAAY!!!!!!  Another US Soccer Thread....Now if we could only get another Sabres thread to go along with this  ;)  :) , I am such a bastard!

725288[/snapback]

More than three people around here care about the Sabres, though...

He's a dick. He needs to just stfu and go coach his little MLS team. Hopefully Klinsmann will be here soon and we can actually get a winning mentality going again.

725503[/snapback]

One thing people need to realize is just qualifying for the world cup is a difficult accomplishment on its own. The US team has a tough road ahead of them if they would like to compete for the 2010 trophy but what I've realized is that no matter how promising a team could be, it always ends up being the usual suspects holding it up in the end.

One thing people need to realize is just qualifying for the world cup is a difficult accomplishment on its own.  The US team has a tough road ahead of them if they would like to compete for the 2010 trophy but what I've realized is that no matter how promising a team could be, it always ends up being the usual suspects holding it up in the end.

725574[/snapback]

Sure, I totally agree. My problem is with the mindset. If you don't go into an NFL season with the superbowl as your goal, you're not going to win it....For Bruce Arena to say, "it's not my job to win WCs", that's bull sh--. It IS.....well, WAS his fuggin job, and he dropped the ball. I certainly have no expectations of the US team to actually win the thing....but I DO have expectations that they will do everything in their power to win it. And clearly that was not the case this year. Particularly in a game where a single goal can make you or break you, mindset is VITAL. If by some chance we're lucky enough to get someone like Klinsmann in here, I guarantee you he'll consider it his job to WIN the WC with the American team. Until that happens, we might as well give our spot to some other country.

Sure, I totally agree. My problem is with the mindset. If you don't go into an NFL season with the superbowl as your goal, you're not going to win it....For Bruce Arena to say, "it's not my job to win WCs", that's bull sh--. It IS.....well, WAS his fuggin job, and he dropped the ball. I certainly have no expectations of the US team to actually win the thing....but I DO have expectations that they will do everything in their power to win it. And clearly that was not the case this year. Particularly in a game where a single goal can make you or break you, mindset is VITAL. If by some chance we're lucky enough to get someone like Klinsmann in here, I guarantee you he'll consider it his job to WIN the WC with the American team. Until that happens, we might as well give our spot to some other country.

725581[/snapback]

Arena came with the mindset to play tight defensively. It actually made sense. Playing 3 difficult teams in a group, and knowing that he doesn't have the firepower to outgun his group, it made perfect sense. The only problem was that the defence wasn't good enough and therefore, they ended up fouling their opponents.

I think Klinsmann will do well with the US team. I stress the fact that until some legitimate US citizens start on big European clubs and learn what it is like to play the game in front of millions of viewers, the US finishing in the top 4 will only be a pipe dream.

I have a friend who played college soccer under Arena and hated playing for him. he said Arena was always very vague and critical and also very arrogant. I understand what he is saying- Arena is cryptic and wishy washy when he speaks. Thank God he is no longer coaching our national team. Good riddance Bruce!

I have a friend who played college soccer under Arena and hated playing for him.  he said Arena was always very vague and critical and also very arrogant.  I understand what he is saying- Arena is cryptic and wishy washy when he speaks.  Thank God he is no longer coaching our national team.  Good riddance Bruce!

725611[/snapback]

A-FRICKIN-MEN!