Could the economy of WNY be improving?

are rising.

This is GREAT news, especially in terms of keeping the franchise in WNY! :)

It did get me to wonder....the team is rebuilding, and although anything is possible, playoff hopes appear to be slim, at least for now.

Why do you guys think that sales are up? Is the economy up there getting just a tad better? I sure hope so. :flirt:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, If it was all Bills fans selling out the stadium, I could see it as being a good sign for WNY's Economy, but there was an article yesterday that was talking about how other teams fans (like Patriots fans) were anticipating the Bills tickets going on sale as much as Bills fans and were buying tickets to the game, which makes sence considering it is probably cheaper to go to Buffalo for a game then getting a ticket to a Pats game

Well, If it was all Bills fans selling out the stadium, I could see it as being a good sign for WNY's Economy, but there was an article yesterday that was talking about how other teams fans (like Patriots fans) were anticipating the Bills tickets going on sale as much as Bills fans and were buying tickets to the game, which makes sence considering it is probably cheaper to go to Buffalo for a game then getting a ticket to a Pats game

724627[/snapback]

But it also said that the opposing fans are finding it hard to get their hands on the tickets

724627[/snapback]

It is nearly impossible to find Pats tickets without paying big bucks, so I'm sure there are plenty of people in MA who figure a quick drive up I-90 to Buffalo is the best chance to see their team.

All this hoopla about the Bills selling out their first four games is sorta misleading.

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of seats are being held back for prospective season ticket buyers...and after the first pre-season game, those tickets will become available.

The weird part is, with the Bills reporting that there are no tickets for the first four games, how do they market the remaining tickets when they become available?

Instead of crowing that the first four games are sold out, the Bills should announce that currently limited single-game tickets are available, however, in mid-August more tickets may become available.

I'm surprised Leo Roth, a veteran beat writer, fell for this...it's something the Bills have been doing since the Super Bowl runs.

All this hoopla about the Bills selling out their first four games is sorta misleading. 

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of seats are being held back for prospective season ticket buyers...and after the first pre-season game, those tickets will become available.

The weird part is, with the Bills reporting that there are no tickets for the first four games, how do they market the remaining tickets when they become available? 

Instead of crowing that the first four games are sold out, the Bills should announce that currently limited single-game tickets are available, however, in mid-August more tickets may become available.

I'm surprised Leo Roth, a veteran beat writer, fell for this...it's something the Bills have been doing since the Super Bowl runs.

724671[/snapback]

Exactly. The home opener always sells out. With how big pro football is nowadays, if the Bills go 0-16, the home opener will still sellout.

When the Bills put group tickets up for sale before the general public can buy tickets, you can bet your ass tour groups from the Boston area bought tickets out the wazoo in huge blocks. The Pats will have 15,000 fans there again, bank on it.

Andre Reed goes up on the wall, in a good weather game. When people can't get the opener, you know they went for the next best weather game and Andre Reed.

And the Packers. Another huge draw with Brett Favre. A ton of Packers fans will also be there, but many Bills fans want to see Favre play.

And that leaves us to the basic drivel of cold weather, and the rest of the schedule. If the Pats game was in December, the game that would be in the Pats place in October would still have plenty of tickets available for it.

So, the Bills are about right where they always are at this point. A sold out opener, a sold out good weather game with sort of a promotion. the Pats game sold out, and Brett Favre sold out.

In a few weeks, there will also be tickets available for all of these too. They are holding some for prospective season ticket buyers.

there is NO reason why single tickets are even available in this town...season tix from $300- high $400's...our stadium should be comletely full of season ticket holders....

724711[/snapback]

Agreed!

Agreed!

724713[/snapback]

i had no idea how cheap they were when I was younger or else I would have had seasons all through college...every business owner in WNY should have a pair...if people make a decent buck...buy a pair and donate them to charity...

there is NO reason why single tickets are even available in this town...season tix from $300- high $400's...our stadium should be comletely full of season ticket holders....

724711[/snapback]

That number becomes $600s to high $800s if you're not a loner and actually want to take your spouse or kid to the game. Add the parking and concession costs, and it's more expensive than you're making it out to be.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have that kind of disposable income, but most people still live paycheck to paycheck. I'd suggest that's even more the case in the Bills' market.

What I don't understand is why more businesses don't buy 2 or 4 season tickets to distribute to employees, customers, clients, etc.

That number becomes $600s to high $800s if you're not a loner and actually want to take your spouse or kid to the game.  Add the parking and concession costs, and it's more expensive than you're making it out to be.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have that kind of disposable income, but most people still live paycheck to paycheck.  I'd suggest that's even more the case in the Bills' market.

What I don't understand is why more businesses don't buy 2 or 4 season tickets to distribute to employees, customers, clients, etc.

724717[/snapback]

I pay $540/year for 2 in the Rockpile section. Granted, it gets more expensive as you move for a "better" seat, but with a value like that, its hard for me to believe that someone who wants season tickets can't afford them.

Hell, I was going to try to get some Bengals season tickets this year just to turn around and scalp, and the cheapest seats in the stadium (way upper deck corners) are $580/ea. + $450 seat license. Screw that...I guess I'll just end up buying my own section in the Rockpile eventually.

I think folks often focus on the fact that while the Buffalo economy is lagging compared to the economies of the Sunbelt and go-go American communities. it is still part of the American (and increasingly North American as the world becomes flat as Tom Friedman would say) economic engine. There is still a large and increasing chunk of disposable income available to large chunks of folks in WNY and marketing efforts can still sell out the limited number of seats available in the Ralph.

As the teams record and prospects are lousy, sales have been slower than in the past. Yet, it ain't over 'til its over and as the Bills business gets off its butt and makes even a marginal effort it can obtain sell-outs.

Still. things change slowly and even more slowly here in WNY where people value tradition over total effectiveness economically on the whole. The Bills as a business have greatly improved with the "Great Leap Forward" of the Business Backs the Bills Effort.

With the help of significantly reducing the stadium size to increase the revenue Ralph could hold to himself under the old CBA sellouts can be achieved under a constrained timeline and even within the context of a WNY economy that does not have the growth levels of higher profit lesser distribution of profits to workers states like the Sunbelt.

However in the big picture though there is less boom here than in NC, its just an unimaginable difference between the allegedly struggling economy of WNY and actual true economic backwaters such as Mexico or the old former Soviet Union before spiking oil and gas prices gave them a huge boost.

Trulyhorrendous economies are found in places like Iraq and Lebanon, and though folks routinely complain about life being so hard here, there are other places that really have it tough and make the typical US complaints amidst the growing obesity of people who live in America mere whines even if you want to be charitable in characterizing it.

It would be funny if it was not so pathetic in terms of the human condition.

The amazing record of the Bills now pretty routinely selling out games the last few years even though the team has been goshawful for the most part tells the true story and expect sellouts for the most part this year even if the product is bad. It may happen more slowly than before, but the NFL and Ralph have gotten a clue that the advertising on TV provides a far greater profit in sale of collateral items than the marginal gain of increased ticket sales due to TV blackouts.

With minor efforts the Biills can get close enough to a sellout to allow Ralph to fill good about himself and gain great publicity and free advertising by giving away the few remaining tickets to our troops or to Boys and Girls Clubs.

724711[/snapback]

Maybe because the best seat in the house is still the one in front of my TV.. no $6 beers, no drunken ass behind me, no 10 minute wait for a stall, and all the munchies I could want for roughly $10-$12

are rising. 

This is GREAT news, especially in terms of keeping the franchise in WNY!  :)

It did get me to wonder....the team is rebuilding, and although anything is possible, playoff hopes appear to be slim, at least for now.

Why do you guys think that sales are up? Is the economy up there getting just a tad better? I sure hope so.  :flirt:

724621[/snapback]

You're making the assumption that sports ticket sales are related to a local economy's success.

Raleigh couldn't sell out Stanley Cup Final games - yet everyone in Buffalo would kill to have an economy as thriving as Raleigh's.

And make no bones about it, the economy in Buffalo is crap.

You're making the assumption that sports ticket sales are related to a local economy's success.

Raleigh couldn't sell out Stanley Cup Final games - yet everyone in Buffalo would kill to have an economy as thriving as Raleigh's.

And make no bones about it, the economy in Buffalo is crap.

724741[/snapback]

Which playoff games in any round in Raleigh didn't sell out?