What are you listening to?

Pete

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is Drozd from fredonia or something?

I used to hang out with Steven Drozd from the Flaming Lips back in Fredonia, and he was a good friend of Elliott's (played drums on Figure 8).  About a year prior to his death, Steven said he had spoken to Elliott on the phone and that Elliott was definitely killing himself with really hard drugs. This was about when Steven kicked heroin (covered in the "Fearless Freaks" documentary that came out last year -- in itself really hard to watch, but amazing that he triumphed over it -- that was when I was just meeting him). 

It was truly sad, but it did not surprise me at all that Elliott did this to himself.  I am somewhat suspicious that it was completely a suicide just because it sounds like something that would be damn near impossible to do, and the girlfriend was very weird about it in reports that came out later, but at the same time, enough drugs and one might be capable of anything.

What a sad day and what a waste that was.  I'll always have "Either / Or" and the other records to go to, though.  That guy had some real songwriting genius in him.

721198[/snapback]

Sorry to come back on topic...

Right now I am cycling thru a few new albums that are rapidly becoming favourites and some other old favourites:

Keane - Under Iron Sea

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

Counting Crows - New Amsterdam

Killers - Hot Fuss

Radiohead - The Bends

Sam Spence - Autumn Thunder

Also - I have listened to the following playlist A LOT lately... Been feeling a bit down about a few things and this has captured my imagination. Song, Artist, Album below:

Waves - Mono Band - Mono Band EP

In Other Words - Ben Kweller - Sha Sha

Anna Begins - Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Heal Over - KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope

This One's Gonna Bruise - Beth Orton - Day Breaker

We Might As Well Be Strangers - Keane - Hopes and Fears

What You're Made Of - Lucie Silvas - Breathe In

Cupid - Jack Johnson - On and On

Ever the Same - Rob Thomas - Something to Be

Easy on the Eye - Gemma Hayes - The Roads Don't Love You

Desire - Ryan Adams - Demolition

Emily - Stephem Fretwell - Magpie

High and Dry - Jamie Cullum (covering Radiohead) - Twentysomething

Grazed Knees - Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Only Wanna Be With You - Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View

boy I thought he died back in the 70's, i had no idea he was still around and completely missed the news of his very recent death

Now listening to Floyd's CD, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" in honor of Syd Barrett who recently died.

721255[/snapback]

Only Wanna Be With You - Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View

721265[/snapback]

Sometimes I wonder, if it will ever end

You get so mad at me when I got out with my friends

Sometimes you're crazy, and you wonder why

I'm such a baby, yeah, the Dolphins make me cry

Well, there's nothing I can do

I only wanna be with you

Sometimes I wonder, if it will ever end

You get so mad at me when I got out with my friends

Sometimes you're crazy, and you wonder why

I'm such a baby, yeah, the Dolphins make me cry

Well, there's nothing I can do

I only wanna be with you

721272[/snapback]

Yes - I listen to that part and wonder how much of a fag i'd have to be to support the 'fins and then to cry about them :w00t:

haha

He did live there for awhile while they were working on Yoshimi (they record in Cassadaga).

721284[/snapback]

The guy who produced that album, David Fridmann, is a professor at Fredonia. Sleater-Kinney's last album was produced by him and recorded in Fredonia. I saw them play some secret show at BJ's when they were there recording it.

The guy who produced that album, David Fridmann, is a professor at Fredonia.  Sleater-Kinney's last album was produced by him and recorded in Fredonia.  I saw them play some secret show at BJ's when they were there recording it.

721295[/snapback]

I took classes from Dave and have gotten to spend a lot of time at Tarbox, the studio he and the Lips designed around capabilities for the Zaireeka record. He's pretty low-key, but an amazing musical mind. A lot of people in WNY have no idea what kind of work is coming out of this guy's studio. Funny fact: Dave never graduated from Fredonia, he left with a few credits left to keep working with the Lips, who were one of his class projects. The "In a Priest Driven Ambulance" record was recorded there.

I SO wish I could have gone to that Sleater-Kinney show -- esp since they are breaking up. I graduated and worked at BJs too late to catch that one. He did wonders for them, though. That record is louder than anything else out there.

I took classes from Dave and have gotten to spend a lot of time at Tarbox, the studio he and the Lips designed around capabilities for the Zaireeka record.  He's pretty low-key, but an amazing musical mind.  A lot of people in WNY have no idea what kind of work is coming out of this guy's studio.  Funny fact:  Dave never graduated from Fredonia, he left with a few credits left to keep working with the Lips, who were one of his class projects.  The "In a Priest Driven Ambulance" record was recorded there.

I SO wish I could have gone to that Sleater-Kinney show -- esp since they are breaking up.  I graduated and worked at BJs too late to catch that one.  He did wonders for them, though.  That record is louder than anything else out there.

721312[/snapback]

My friend forced me to go to that show. Aside from his constant ravings about the band, I hadn't even heard one of their songs. It was on a Tuesday or Wednesday and we were driving from Buffalo on a pretty snowy night. When we got to the bar the power was out, so the start time of the show was delayed for a couple of hours. Anyway, the show was incredible and I definitely became a fan that night. Then we saw Sleater-Kinney at Denny's after the show.

I think I've read in some of your posts before that you said you are a sound engineer or something. I love recording my own stuff with the cheap equipment I have. It must be awesome to do it for a living with real equipment....but does it pay the bills?

Syd Barrett died today.  Pink Floyd died years ago when they sold out. 

That's all I was saying.

721340[/snapback]

Sorry, didn't know that. Actually I thought he died 30 years ago, he just went insane. You are correct as usual.....................you dick!

I used to hang out with Steven Drozd from the Flaming Lips back in Fredonia, and he was a good friend of Elliott's (played drums on Figure 8).  About a year prior to his death, Steven said he had spoken to Elliott on the phone and that Elliott was definitely killing himself with really hard drugs. This was about when Steven kicked heroin (covered in the "Fearless Freaks" documentary that came out last year -- in itself really hard to watch, but amazing that he triumphed over it -- that was when I was just meeting him). 

It was truly sad, but it did not surprise me at all that Elliott did this to himself.  I am somewhat suspicious that it was completely a suicide just because it sounds like something that would be damn near impossible to do, and the girlfriend was very weird about it in reports that came out later, but at the same time, enough drugs and one might be capable of anything.

What a sad day and what a waste that was.  I'll always have "Either / Or" and the other records to go to, though.  That guy had some real songwriting genius in him.

721198[/snapback]

I'm new to both Elliott Smith and the 'Lips', but I've been pretty much burning holes in both their discs as of late. I plan to have several more of each of their albums relatively soon, cause I'm really diggin' both. It really gave me a sinking feeling to hear that Elliott had passed away/taken his life, cause I really latched on to the first album of his that I heard. There is a track on Figure 8 called "Lost and Found" that really stays with me sometimes, and I'm only partly aware as to why that is. The song makes me really sad when I hear it, but it's probably my favorite cut off the album. Anyway, you're right, it really is sad that such an amazing artist isn't with us anymore.....same with Jeff Buckley.

I'm new to both Elliott Smith and the 'Lips', but I've been pretty much burning holes in both their discs as of late. I plan to have several more of each of their albums relatively soon, cause I'm really diggin' both. It really gave me a sinking feeling to hear that Elliott had passed away/taken his life, cause I really latched on to the first album of his that I heard. There is a track on Figure 8 called "Lost and Found" that really stays with me sometimes, and I'm only partly aware as to why that is. The song makes me really sad when I hear it, but it's probably my favorite cut off the album. Anyway, you're right, it really is sad that such an amazing artist isn't with us anymore.....same with Jeff Buckley.

721376[/snapback]

Yeah--

Get "Either/Or" and then "X/O." Stunning records, both of them. The one thing that keeps these artists living is the great work they created, and new people growing to love and appreciate them. Too bad Elliott didn't realize how many people he affected, how many people cared about him.