What was the most heart breaking non-playoff game?

duey

With all the posts about the no-punt game, it made me remember another game at the 'Stick...

Jim drives the Bills down to the SF goal line in the closing moments of the game. Darrick Holmes takes the handoff and leaps towards what seems like a sure go-ahead score. He is met head-on and fumbles. The ball is then picked up and run back the entire length of the field for a touchdown.

What a tough loss that was...and I think it was nationally televised since I was able to see it her in the NYC area.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The home opener versus the Jacksonville Jaguars a couple of seasons ago! I think that they had a miserable game offensively, until the final drive. I remember Takeo Spikes taking off Reggie Williams' head on a crossing pattern, and I was thinking that they were done. Wasn't it 4th down and long when Nate Clements gave up that Hail Mary to Jimmy Smith? Man, what a tough loss! Didn't Moulds also fumble deep into Jags territory in that game? Ernest Wilford made a good play deep in the endzone to win it.....it still hurts!!

With all the posts about the no-punt game, it made me remember another game at the 'Stick...

Jim drives the Bills down to the SF goal line in the closing moments of the game.  Darrick Holmes takes the handoff and leaps towards what seems like a sure go-ahead score.  He is met head-on and fumbles.  The ball is then picked up and run back the entire length of the field for a touchdown.

What a tough loss that was...and I think it was nationally televised since I was able to see it her in the NYC area.

719762[/snapback]

Pretty sure that was Merton Hanks, IIRC....bastard

The home opener versus the Jacksonville Jaguars a couple of seasons ago! I think that they had a miserable game offensively, until the final drive. I remember Takeo Spikes taking off Reggie Williams' head on a crossing pattern, and I was thinking that they were done. Wasn't it 4th down and long when Nate Clements gave up that Hail Mary to Jimmy Smith? Man, what a tough loss! Didn't Moulds also fumble deep into Jags territory in that game? Ernest Wilford made a good play deep in the endzone to win it.....it still hurts!!

719797[/snapback]

Yeah, Izelle Reese of all people picked off a pass and returned it to their 1 on the possession after the Moulds fumble....and of course we couldn't punch it in. I remember the TKO hit and also yelling at the TV: "Stop celebrating!". McGahee actually ran pretty well against their tough run defense towards the end and it looked as if we'd run out the clock until some holding penalty which I've still never seen the replay of.

Anyway, I'd probably rank that game #2 behind 1998's "Just give it to em" in Foxboro. My college dorm room was not a pretty site after that game.

Thank God I'm too young for the 70's. I would like to hear details from the older folks on how the Bills got jobbed in a couple of the Miami games.

I guess the Pittsburgh game didn't bother me as much as others. I mean, beat a practice squad team at home for crying out loud or you don't deserve playoffs.

Flutie beating us in the closing moments in San Diego with a quarterback draw. Really pissed me off.

719800[/snapback]

Heh, RJ played great that game too.

Our then stellar Special Teams set up the game winner by allowing a huge kickoff return if i recall.

719797[/snapback]

seconded

Our then stellar Special Teams set up the game winner by allowing a huge kickoff return if i recall.

719823[/snapback]

I believe your memory is correct. What I do remember emphatically was Flutie under center by the goal line and you knew...you just KNEW...he was going to score, he was going to score on his own, and there was absolutely nothing we were going to be able to do about it.

That is an easy one....

Last years Miami game where they came back on us....

That could have been Losman's breakout game the way he was tossing the rock......had we went on to win that game perhaps this Holcomb/Losman fiasco wouldnt be going on right now.....

719831[/snapback]

No doubt....I remember I woke up late for that game, immediately went to NFL.com to catch the play by play, and when I saw 21-0 the first thought that went through my head was, "!@#$, we SUCK.....I can't believe we're getting killed by the fish this badly in the FIRST DAMN QUARTER!!!" When I got the sleep out of my eyes and saw Losman with 3tds and Evans with a bunch of yards, I was totally psyched.

Anyway, I'd probably rank that game #2 behind 1998's "Just give it to em" in Foxboro.  My college dorm room was not a pretty site after that game.

719818[/snapback]

Although I wouldn't quite call that one a "heartbreaker" (probably because I was more pissed off than disappointed), that New England game has to be way up there.

Another one was the 2001 (?) game at home against the Pats. We sucked that year, but we played them tough and deserved to win it. But the mysterious "ball lying inbounds on the ground touching a frigging unconscious player is considered out of bounds" rule ruined it for us.

Although I wouldn't quite call that one a "heartbreaker" (probably because I was more pissed off than disappointed), that New England game has to be way up there.

Another one was the 2001 (?) game at home against the Pats. We sucked that year, but we played them tough and deserved to win it. But the mysterious "ball lying inbounds on the ground touching a frigging unconscious player is considered out of bounds" rule ruined it for us.

719843[/snapback]

Yeah I was at that game! :D

At the time I wasn't even that pissed because it prevented Miami from winning the division. If I had known that B.S. call would springboard NE into a 1st round bye and another subsequent B.S. call in the playoffs which would springboard the flukiest SB win ever which would springboard a dynasty.....I would've been much more pissed ;)

On the plus side, Nate Clements did take Tom Brady's head off which was worth the price of admission.

Yes, J'ville and for another reason too. It wiped us out psychologically for 2-3 weeks and ultimately had a big impact on the season.

The Miami game was lost I feel due to many reasons but most importantly because of coaching, or lack there of, and the E Moulds tantrum that distracted the team and we lost our focus.

I hope DJ instills an urgency in all our players that EVERY game counts and it is important to stay focused, don't take anyone lightly ( if that is possible with our record ) and work harder than your opponent. I also hope that the coaches instill that this is their job, have some fun and don't hot dog. As Marv would say, act like you have been there before and "muscle flexes" are for individuals, not a team!

719823[/snapback]

Didn't Jake Arians made the go ahead FG that day? IIRC it was a long one, like 48 yards or so. Jake Arians was an awful kicker.