Zach Thomas

MrLocke

Zach Thomas goes to the Pro Bowl just about every yeard and, yet I am told he misses more tackles than he makes. (I read this in a sporting news preview magazine a few years back). He is always near the top of the league in tackles just about every season, but I think this a subjective stat in that some statisticians will count it as a tackle if someone jumps on the pile at the end of the play.

I am confused. Why is Miami wasting so much cap space on this guy? He seems like he should be easy to replace. It has nothing to do with him playing for the Dolphins I will give credit to guys like Jason Taylor, as he is a player.

I hate the Dolfags as much as the next guy but Thomas is not over rated. He is definately one of the top 5 LBs in the league still. You cant argue with his stats or his production, only that he wheres that terrible uniform.

Thomas just seems to always be near the ball. He finds his way to the ball carrier, and when he doesn't make the tackle, he's filling the gap or cutting off the corner.

As great as I think he is, He's not the best LB in the league but he's in the top 5 easily.

Stats dont show everything.

I'm not going to defend Zach Thomas at all, but when the same starting linebacking core features Donnie Spragan and an untested Channing Crowder, Miami doesn't have a choice but to keep him.

Plus, Thomas is scheduled to make $4.95 mil this season. BUT no other LB on their roster makes more than 700k a year. Since that's the case, they can afford to keep ZT.

i like Zach Thomas only because i play in a fantasy football league where we have individual defensive players. and i try to get him on my team every year. one slightly deceiving thought about him is he typically gets as many assists as he does solo tackles and i think when the NFL says he has 20 tackles in a game it might mean 10 solos and 10 assists.

right from his rookie season, he has been a machine.

Zach Thomas goes to the Pro Bowl just about every yeard and, yet I am told he misses more tackles than he makes. (I read this in a sporting news preview magazine a few years back). He is always near the top of the league in tackles just about every season, but I think this a subjective stat in that some statisticians will count it as a tackle if someone jumps on the pile at the end of the play.

I am confused. Why is Miami wasting so much cap space on this guy? He seems like he should be easy to replace. It has nothing to do with him playing for the Dolphins I will give credit to guys like Jason Taylor, as he is a player.

712959[/snapback]

He has to be good- Jimmy Johnson drafted him

Thomas just seems to always be near the ball. He finds his way to the ball carrier, and when he doesn't make the tackle, he's filling the gap or cutting off the corner.

As great as I think he is, He's not the best LB in the league but he's in the top 5 easily.

Stats dont show everything.

713016[/snapback]

Much like the WR position, there are 45 "top 5" LB's.

He gets the benefit of having an arche type media persona plowing the way for him in Nick Buenocaca.

He's a dumpy little white guy just like him.

HBO loves him. Slurp, slurp. Bills Bad. Dollfags Great.

It's nauesating.

Zach Thomas is not an impact player but he is always there to help finish off a play. That's his role in the Dolphins defense and he plays it well. IMO he is an above average starting LB, not as good as some think he is but also not as overrated as others claim.

I'd say he's always lacked the physical tools of many others, which is becoming more obvious as he ages. But while I imagine he bombed the Windowlic he still has some of the greatest instincts I've ever seen. The guy just never seems to take a false step which is probably the only way he's been able to stay in the league with his limited athleticism.

The stat that would be interesting is how many yards from scrimmage does he make the tackle. I bet he averages 5-6 yds from scrimmage before he makes the tackle. He is overrated....but then again, he is also going to be in the HOF for no apparent reason.

funny stuff.....fat and short.....that's why he gets too much credit.....

Simon once again you have cut to the chase with your spot on assessment....Zach 's best attribute is his read and recognition skills. No wasted steps when attacking the line of scrimmage, and he is one of the best at stringing out the run from sideline to sideline.

The stat that would be interesting is how many yards from scrimmage does he make the tackle.  I bet he averages 5-6 yds from scrimmage before he makes the tackle.  He is overrated....but then again, he is also going to be in the HOF for no apparent reason.

713491[/snapback]

classic...... 0:)

numerous times he is top 5 in tackles year after year.....plays with injuries....team leader....

classic...... 0:)

numerous times he is top 5 in tackles year after year.....plays with injuries....team leader....

713656[/snapback]

Nobody will deny he makes tackles....unfortunately they average 5 yds from scrimmage. He is a player who excels in a system.

Nobody will deny he makes tackles....unfortunately they average 5 yds from scrimmage.  He is a player who excels in a system.

713796[/snapback]

So.....you mean kinda like Tom Brady is a product of the system? Peyton Manning is a product of the system? Emmitt Smith is the all time rushing leader because he had a good blocking scheme in front of him? 0:)

You know that "5 yards from scrimmage" is probably true.....because he does make quite a few tackles during a game on pass plays....running backs out of the backfield....tight ends....and he even makes some on wide receivers cutting under the zone....he often chases plays down on the "off-play" side, his pursuit is relentless.

You'd be better served to pick on some other felon......Zach is a really good linebacker.