Zach Thomas

MrLocke

So.....you mean kinda like Tom Brady is a product of the system?  Peyton Manning is a product of the system?  Emmitt Smith is the all time rushing leader because he had a good blocking scheme in front of him?  0:) 

You know that "5 yards from scrimmage" is probably true.....because he does make quite a few tackles during a game on pass plays....running backs out of the backfield....tight ends....and he even makes some on wide receivers cutting under the zone....he often chases plays down on the "off-play" side, his pursuit is relentless.

You'd be better served to pick on some other felon......Zach is a really good linebacker.

713896[/snapback]

Let's break down your reply.....

Tom Brady is clearly the product of a system, otherwise he would not have made it to the 6th round of the draft. Furthermore, Tom Brady would not have seen the light of day if not for the Mo Lewis hit on Drew Bledsoe.

Peyton Manning came into this league with a tremendous potential, and if anything has shown to be a great QB who cannot win the big game.

Emmitt Smith though highly touted out of college, had the luxury of playing behind one of the best OL of all time. If not for the Hershel Walker trade, he would have been probably a 10,000-12,000 yard rusher. Nothing to sneeze at, but not the all time leader rusher.

You and I will disagree about Zach Thomas. He is a slightly above average LB whose great asset is his coverage skills. You made an excellent observation that he covers the RB and TE, though rarely does he get close to a RB on a running play until after he has crossed the DL. An outstanding MLB makes plays at the line of scrimmage, not 5 yds after on a RUNNING play.

I don't know about missed tackles. He has great football sense. He makes lots of plays. I think he and London Fletcher-Baker (or is it Baker-Fletcher?) are similar except London is faster. Maybe Thomas is a little smarter. I keep waiting for Thomas to hit the proverbial wall. He'll be 33 for most of the upcoming season. Maybe this is the season.

IMO he is an above average starting LB, not as good as some think he is but also not as overrated as others claim.

713459[/snapback]

Like they say...."The Truth is somewhere in between" 0:)

The stat that would be interesting is how many yards from scrimmage does he make the tackle.  I bet he averages 5-6 yds from scrimmage before he makes the tackle.  He is overrated....but then again, he is also going to be in the HOF for no apparent reason.

713491[/snapback]

Plus I've seen him finish games with 15 tackles where he never made an initial hit. It's like he gets those Wayne Gretzky assists from the other side of the field.