Congratulations to the Carolina Hurricanes

They do have some worthy fans, no doubt.  I know two of them.  I just called my one friend who has been a Canes season ticket holder since day one to congratulate him, fans like him are very few and far between down here though.  I lost count of how many "Caniacs" I know that T-Bone'd on their hometown team or have jumped on the bandwagon in the last few months.  You are right about them, they can lick balls.

710887[/snapback]

Congrats to the 'Canes and their true fans.

Need I remind anyone that during the Bills SB run, you would walk through a mall around December and EVERYBODY had Bills gear on.

After the Super Bowl, 75% of the gear went on mothballs.

There are band wagoners (ball lickers) everywhere.

It was a very exciting seven game Stanley Cup final series. (I was pulling for the Oilers, btw) :huh:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why I'm responding to this post, but here goes anyway.

As I am certain you are aware, a lot of the "hatred" of the Pats stems from their "fans" not giving a rat's butt about them until 2001 and them now being as obnoxious as any Cowboy or Fish fan could ever hope to be.

I won't attempt to speak for other Sabres fans, but my "bitterness" stems from 2 sources. 

1.  You will never convince me that the Sabres, when healthy, weren't a better team than your "beloved" Canes.  To know that the injury depleted Sabres were less than 20 minutes away from being favorites in the Finals is tough to deal with.  Had the Oilers won, I could at least have that bit of doubt in my mind as to whether or not the Sabres could have gotten it done.  Right now, there is no doubt.

2.  The other source of bitterness is dealing with the "Caniacs".  Your team just won the Stanley Cup and you are too concerned about what some Sabres fans are venting.  Congratulations on seeing your team win the SC.  I desperately hope that I get that same opportunity in my lifetime.  I can honestly say that I wouldn't be taking pot shots at the fans of one of the teams the Sabres beat along the road that same night. 

You appear to be one of the "true Caniacs" that was there back in January and back prior to the lockout as well.  With that being the case, and finding yourself at the moment in time that I have dreamed about, why in the world are you worried about what Sabres fans are saying?

The biggest "shot" I have seen Caniacs take is that they don't "deserve" a championship.  (The redneck stuff, to me is the same as all the the WNY economy sucks and the weather stinks stuff - people taking pot shots not worth responding to.) To me, at least until I read your post, that was a bunch of hooey.  While I wanted to see Edmonton win (for reason #1 above primarily and for other reasons as well), it wasn't because their fans "deserve" it more.  No fan "deserves" a winner any more than a fan "deserves" a loser (well, other than a Phlyers fan, of course  :huh: ).  After reading your post, I'm starting to believe the people that said Carolina fans don't deserve a win might just be right.

Like I said at the top of the post, I don't know why I am posting this, as you weren't rude and I don't know why this bothers me.

710976[/snapback]

Thank you, excellent post. Now imagine if you were living here amongst all the phony fans. I too have watched the Canes fan base "grow" since I have lived here. In fact it has happened twice now, in April 2002 and April 2006.

Of course we're bitter. We believed the Sabres had a chance, a real chance, and that they were the better team. We still believe that, and that but for injuries, that's how it would have played out. I also feel that the Oilers would have had a better chance if they didn't lose their footing -- and Roloson -- early. But, that's how it played out.

The Canes are champions and you can't take that away from them. They didn't get it in dubious fashion, as did the Stars (who were, sadly, the better team anyway). Generally, they earned it. You just hate to see the team that you feel is better on the losing end, especially if they're your team.

Congrats, and I guarantee you a healthy Sabres squad will be coming out on top in the next 4 years. Let's bring on the competition.

I'm not sure why I'm responding to this post, but here goes anyway.

As I am certain you are aware, a lot of the "hatred" of the Pats stems from their "fans" not giving a rat's butt about them until 2001 and them now being as obnoxious as any Cowboy or Fish fan could ever hope to be.

I won't attempt to speak for other Sabres fans, but my "bitterness" stems from 2 sources. 

1.  You will never convince me that the Sabres, when healthy, weren't a better team than your "beloved" Canes.  To know that the injury depleted Sabres were less than 20 minutes away from being favorites in the Finals is tough to deal with.  Had the Oilers won, I could at least have that bit of doubt in my mind as to whether or not the Sabres could have gotten it done.  Right now, there is no doubt.

2.  The other source of bitterness is dealing with the "Caniacs".  Your team just won the Stanley Cup and you are too concerned about what some Sabres fans are venting.  Congratulations on seeing your team win the SC.  I desperately hope that I get that same opportunity in my lifetime.  I can honestly say that I wouldn't be taking pot shots at the fans of one of the teams the Sabres beat along the road that same night. 

You appear to be one of the "true Caniacs" that was there back in January and back prior to the lockout as well.  With that being the case, and finding yourself at the moment in time that I have dreamed about, why in the world are you worried about what Sabres fans are saying?

The biggest "shot" I have seen Caniacs take is that they don't "deserve" a championship.  (The redneck stuff, to me is the same as all the the WNY economy sucks and the weather stinks stuff - people taking pot shots not worth responding to.) To me, at least until I read your post, that was a bunch of hooey.  While I wanted to see Edmonton win (for reason #1 above primarily and for other reasons as well), it wasn't because their fans "deserve" it more.  No fan "deserves" a winner any more than a fan "deserves" a loser (well, other than a Phlyers fan, of course  :huh: ).  After reading your post, I'm starting to believe the people that said Carolina fans don't deserve a win might just be right.

Like I said at the top of the post, I don't know why I am posting this, as you weren't rude and I don't know why this bothers me.

710976[/snapback]

Well said. As a Carolina resident, I am happy this has opened eyes around the region to the great game of hockey. It is even talked about on the big Charlotte sports radio station! Hockey here is like missionary work the Catholic priests did in the Carolinas in the 60s. So much ignorance, but once they learned Catholics aren't a cult they accepted and even tolerated them. Hockey is growing and the Stanley Cup will help.

I'm still bitter about losing to the Canes, but this too shall pass.

you people are all insane.

711002[/snapback]

Why watch, then? Why spend hours of the day reading and posting on a sports message board if sports are such a miserable and fatally doomed experience?

This is what I'm trying to understand here.

We have a great team and a solid coach and a system the players believe in. Money could possibly get in the way of that but as we've seen, healthy and hungry youngsters who don't know better can make a real difference in the new NHL. I'll reserve judgement and look at the success of this year as a harbinger of things to come as opposed to a last hurrah, thank you. This team is too young and on the cusp of things too great to bail on them right now.

Why watch, then?  Why spend hours of the day reading and posting on a sports message board if sports are such a miserable and fatally doomed experience?

This is what I'm trying to understand here.

We have a great team and a solid coach and a system the players believe in.  Money could possibly get in the way of that but as we've seen, healthy and hungry youngsters who don't know better can make a real difference in the new NHL.  I'll reserve judgement and look at the success of this year as a harbinger of things to come as opposed to a last hurrah, thank you.  This team is too young and on the cusp of things too great to bail on them right now.

711007[/snapback]

This team will not be the same. The league will not be the same. This year, the Sabres caught everyone off-guard. Will they do the same next year?

This was the chance.

This team will not be the same. The league will not be the same. This year, the Sabres caught everyone off-guard. Will they do the same next year?

This was the chance.

711009[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding, Joe. The Sabres caught themselves off guard. I don't think for a minute that Darcy thought this team was making it all the way to game 7 of the ECFs. That's a bonus for a team this young. Now they're seasoned with that experience -- that's something you cannot buy for these young guys. If Darcy blows the team up, that's one thing. But I can't believe for a minute that they'll do such a thing. They have stable backing, they made money this year, and while they have a lot of guys who will be asking for raises, they are deserved and Darcy and co. will realize that.

Again, reserve judgment. Lindy knows even more what will make this team go after this past run. He has gotten them to the ECFs three times and to the playoffs five times in a career that's included an organization's all-time low point with the bankruptcy/Rigas disaster. He is a great coach, and he will bring great things. I'll be there to enjoy the ride. We'll all remember your forecasts of failure when you're suddenly believing in this team for the next playoff run.

You've got to be kidding, Joe.  The Sabres caught themselves off guard.  I don't think for a minute that Darcy thought this team was making it all the way to game 7 of the ECFs.  That's a bonus for a team this young.  Now they're seasoned with that experience -- that's something you cannot buy for these young guys.  If Darcy blows the team up, that's one thing.  But I can't believe for a minute that they'll do such a thing.  They have stable backing, they made money this year, and while they have a lot of guys who will be asking for raises, they are deserved and Darcy and co. will realize that.

Again, reserve judgment.  Lindy knows even more what will make this team go after this past run.  He has gotten them to the ECFs three times and to the playoffs five times in a career that's included an organization's all-time low point with the bankruptcy/Rigas disaster.  He is a great coach, and he will bring great things.  I'll be there to enjoy the ride.  We'll all remember your forecasts of failure when you're suddenly believing in this team for the next playoff run.

711017[/snapback]

I hope you're right. I'd love a championship.

It's just depressing because i KNOW they could have beat the Oilers. I know it.

I hope you're right. I'd love a championship.

It's just depressing because i KNOW they could have beat the Oilers. I know it.

711018[/snapback]

We all know it. A reason for confidence, and a reason to believe these guys are going to think long and hard about training to stay healthier.

We've got nothing if we don't have our optimism. I'm just glad that I'm optimistic because these guys are finding success -- as compared to the Bills, where I'm optimistic only because the bar is being set really low right now and it seems there's nowhere to go but up. :huh:

We all know it.  A reason for confidence, and a reason to believe these guys are going to think long and hard about training to stay healthier.

We've got nothing if we don't have our optimism.  I'm just glad that I'm optimistic because these guys are finding success -- as compared to the Bills, where I'm optimistic only because the bar is being set really low right now and it seems there's nowhere to go but up. :huh:

711023[/snapback]

In my experience, optimism is far more painful than realism.

LOl

And that twat Ed in KC isn't making things easier.

Next time i am back home in buffalo, i may have some burning to do. My uncle lives in raleigh, and not long after the whalers moved down there, he sent me a hurricanes jacket, knowing how much i like hockey. The jacket has served well in many outdoor hockey games, as a great ski jacket and a good overall winter coat. But now thinking of it hanging up in the basement of ym parents place makes me a bit nauseous. Not as much as whiny B word laviolette holding the cup, tho. So i may have to burn that jacket after this post season and what the whinercanes did.

Congrats to the 4 real hurricanes fans in raleigh, and !@#$ the whole lot of people who became caniacs as of may 1 2006.