Beer Snobs (you know who you are)

stevestojan

Peroni is one of my faves and Stella Artois is pretty good too.

If you go to Sam's they should have a case of beers called taste of the world which has a sixer of 4 different beers: Peroni from Italy, Fosters from Australia, Tyskie from Poland, and one from the Czech Rep. whose name escapes me at the moment.

Couple others worth trying are Grolsch and Warsteiner, not bad either.

Going to have to give AD's beer of choice a chance if I can find a place to buy it around here.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally drink whatever's American, Cold, and wet. And I will probably never change those ways. But every once in a while, I like to have something different. I go to Coles on Elmwood sometimes and they have all sorts of different beers.

Anyway, one pretty mainstream beer I like is Sam Adams White Ale. My question for you beer snobs is, if I like that, what are some similar types that someone like myself might enjoy? (and where I could get them)

710814[/snapback]

Belgian Wit. Good stuff for summer. Light and refreshing. I agree with BillsFanNC on the Blanche De Chambly. Hoegaarden has been purchased by the European equivalent of Anheuser-Busch and has been dumbed down (they deny it, but it is not as good as it used to be). It is still better than Blue Moon, but that is not saying much. Go with the Blanche De Chambly if you want a Belgian Wit.

Darin's suggestion of Chimay Grande Reserve is a good one, but it is Belgian Dark Strong Ale and not a Belgian Wit. I think Premier sells a 12oz for $6.50. I suggest you get one and let it sit in your fridge until winter. This is a beer that improves with age (up to about 10 years if stored properly). As it ages, it will take on more sherry or port-like qualities. Wonderful beer and you should really do yourself a favor and get a bottle. Savor the flavors.

If you want suggestions on other styles, I would be more than happy to recommend something for you.

All of these beers you can buy at Premier Gourmet on Delaware Ave. I always stop in there to stock up when I am in town.

So if you want a decent tasting beer at a bargain price, you can't go wrong with Stroh's or PBR.

710922[/snapback]

Been saying that for years. No one should be ashamed of the beer they drink.

What do you think the guy that just put in a mile of fence posts is gonna reach for when he's toasting a hard day's work? He's not reaching for a Chimay, I'll tell you that.

What's the guy that just replaced an engine block going to reach for after he wipes the grease off his hands? He's not reaching for a freaking Peroni.

And what of the gravedigger? You think he's going to drink some fancy european beer after putting corpses in the ground on a rainy Saturday afternoon? Hell no.

These men aren't ashamed to drink an ice cold beer from a can that they didn't pay a King's ransom for. These men aren't going to traipse on over to the liquor store and shell out their sweat-soaked dollar bills for designer suds that won an obscure award at some hippy festival. And you shouldn't feel like you have to, either.

If Pabst Blue Ribbon is good enough for a guy that digs graves for a living, it's sure as good enough for the guy that works in a cubicle.

Been saying that for years.  No one should be ashamed of the beer they drink. 

What do you think the guy that just put in a mile of fence posts is gonna reach for when he's toasting a hard day's work?  He's not reaching for a Chimay, I'll tell you that. 

What's the guy that just replaced an engine block going to reach for after he wipes the grease off his hands?  He's not reaching for a freaking Peroni. 

And what of the gravedigger?  You think he's going to drink some fancy european beer after putting corpses in the ground on a rainy Saturday afternoon?  Hell no.

These men aren't ashamed to drink an ice cold beer from a can that they didn't pay a King's ransom for.  These men aren't going to traipse on over to the liquor store and shell out their sweat-soaked dollar bills for designer suds that won an obscure award at some hippy festival.  And you shouldn't feel like you have to, either. 

If Pabst Blue Ribbon is good enough for a guy that digs graves for a living, it's sure as good enough for the guy that works in a cubicle.

710950[/snapback]

Time to be A MAN again !

Where's my Dial soap ?

I normally drink whatever's American, Cold, and wet. And I will probably never change those ways. But every once in a while, I like to have something different. I go to Coles on Elmwood sometimes and they have all sorts of different beers.

Anyway, one pretty mainstream beer I like is Sam Adams White Ale. My question for you beer snobs is, if I like that, what are some similar types that someone like myself might enjoy? (and where I could get them)

710814[/snapback]

You're from Buffalo and you drink American beer? Try a Labatts or Molson. Do they even sell Bud or Miller in Buffalo?

If you're looking for a wit, try Ommegang Wit. It is excellent and shouldn't be too hard to find. The price tag is a little steep at $10 per 6pk, but its worth it.

Also, Mendocino Summer Ale isn't too bad either and its alot easier on the wallet. At about $6 a 6pk, I drink it regularly. I know I've seen it at Beers of the World in Rochester, so I'm sure you should be able to find it in Buffalo.

If you like beer in cans, there is also Henneweissen from Butternuts Beer and Ale. Its made near Binghampton and its pretty good. About $5.00/6pk.

Edited by FanfromAlbany

Been saying that for years.  No one should be ashamed of the beer they drink. 

What do you think the guy that just put in a mile of fence posts is gonna reach for when he's toasting a hard day's work?  He's not reaching for a Chimay, I'll tell you that. 

What's the guy that just replaced an engine block going to reach for after he wipes the grease off his hands?  He's not reaching for a freaking Peroni. 

And what of the gravedigger?  You think he's going to drink some fancy european beer after putting corpses in the ground on a rainy Saturday afternoon?  Hell no.

These men aren't ashamed to drink an ice cold beer from a can that they didn't pay a King's ransom for.  These men aren't going to traipse on over to the liquor store and shell out their sweat-soaked dollar bills for designer suds that won an obscure award at some hippy festival.  And you shouldn't feel like you have to, either. 

710950[/snapback]

Here's to you, Mr. I Dig Holes and Throw Dead Bodies In Them Man. You know when you throw that sack of mashed intenstines into its six-foot resting place, the residual smell of embalming fluid is what makes the women swoon when you walk into your favorite watering hole and order yourself an ice cold PBR."

You're classic, Coli. :huh:

Well if your looking for something better then your Miller Light, or your average american beer, I can drink a bunch of Canadian beer and piss back into the bottles, thats how they brew American beers anyway, isn't it?

The last time I drank american beer it was a six pack of Miller Genuine Draft and the only reason for that was because the six pack came with a really good Harley Davidson/Miller Bottle opener keychain, and when i got to the register, I found out the case I grabbed had 2 on it.

Seriously, even the cheap Canadian beer (the honey beers are typically $24 canadian for 24) are better then Bud and Coors.

I usually like drinking Alexander Keiths, Molson Canadian (if I'm just looking to stay buzzed after drinking the good stuff) Moosehead, Sleemans, Corona (really good on those hot summer days, Kilkenny, and my all time Favorite GUINNESS. Nothing Beats a frost glass of Guiness from the tap while sitting in a bar

Well if your looking for something better then your Miller Light, or your average american beer, I can drink a bunch of Canadian beer and piss back into the bottles, thats how they brew American beers anyway, isn't it?

711066[/snapback]

I assume here you are referring to the common misconception that Canadian beer is stronger alcohol wise than US beer, if not I apologize, but being a beer snob I have to clarify. With Canadian beer alcohol is measured by volume (abv), US beer is given in alcohol by weight (abw). A typical Canadian beer at 5% abv is about the same as a US beer at 4% abw.

Chimay Grande Reserve.  Welcome to real beer.

710818[/snapback]

Oh that's good stuff. It'll kick your booty, too.

Almost unbelievably, we have some really good quality microbreweries out here in Utah.

I assume here you are referring to the common misconception that Canadian beer is stronger alcohol wise than US beer, if not I apologize, but being a beer snob I have to clarify.  With Canadian beer alcohol is measured by volume (abv), US beer is given in alcohol by weight (abw).  A typical Canadian beer at 5% abv is about the same as a US beer at 4% abw.

711069[/snapback]

Now I wasn't refering to the alcohol content, i just believe the average American beer tastes like piss water

I made a nice wheat beer a couple weeks ago.  Turned out pretty good.  Making a raspberry wheat sometime next week.

711086[/snapback]

Are you willing to post recipies (or send via PM)?

Any NYC folks or visitors would do well to check out this bar in Williamsburg called Spike Hill. They clean their lines very frequently (people don't realize how big of a difference this makes) and rotate a pretty amazing selection of ales, pilsners, witbiers, and more. They hooked me on Ayinger's Ur-Weisse. Guinness is by-the-book approved on draught. Plus their scotch selection is off the hook.

Not a beer snob by any stretch, and me thinks a lot of beer snobs like a lot of wine snobs. Look at label and price to determine if its good.

Tell ya what, I'm drinking a lot of Blue Moon these days. Yea, its made by coors, but I like it. My guess would be similiar to Sam white. And while I'd much rather have the Hoergardern(sp) its $12 a six in my local Kroger, and Blue Moon 10.99 for a twelver. If your drinking em like I do, that extra $6 bucks can add up over the course of a summer.