Release of new book - Buffalo Soul Lifters

As many of you know I am a Contributing Editor of the Niagara Falls Reporter. My real name is Frank Thomas Croisdale.

I just recently had my first book published. It is entitled Buffalo Soul Lifters: A Homespun Collection Of Inspirational Stories.

When I first started visiting TSW, I was touched by the outpouring of love and compassion to the family of a poster named Thirdborn. As I was in the process of writing my book, I contacted Thirdborn and asked him if he’d like to share the story with a greater audience. He told me that he had been searching for a way to let his friends on TSW known how much their prayers and support had meant to his family and thought that the book was a great way to accomplish that goal.

Proving that it is indeed a small world, I contacted Paul (Thirdborn’s real name) and found out that he grew up on the next block from my wife and was a childhood pal of my brother-in-law. The story that he shared speaks volumes about what a wonderful community it is who call TSW home.

Here is an excerpt from the story:

As a way to find a connection back to his city of birth, Paul became a passionate fan of the Buffalo Bills. He got DirecTV to watch all of the games and surfed the Internet to find any information he could on the red, white and blue Bills.

“You just don’t find people in Seattle that are like the people of Buffalo,” Paul said. “That internal fortitude, maybe it’s because of the snow and cold winters, even the four Super Bowl losses, the people just refuse to say die or ever give in. I knew that I needed to get connected back to that way of thinking.”

Paul became a regular visitor to a Web site that catered to fans of the Bills. After that address was suspended, Paul stumbled upon Two Bills Drive, the Web site that would one day make an impact on his life that he will never forget.

A popular section of Two Bills Drive is a message board called The Stadium Wall (TSW). There, Bills fans talk about the team 365 days per year. New coach hires, free agent signings, game analysis and spirited debate as to whether Mighty Taco or the Garbage Plate is Western New York’s best indigenous food, it’s all discussed in it’s finest minutia at TSW.

The story goes on to detail Paul’s reaction to your posts in support of little Gus:

“These people, most of whom don’t even know me and my family, got me through that first week,” Paul said. “One guy even took a picture of Gus to his work and had the people there pray for him. What they did was amazing.”

On December 10, 2003, at precisely 6:37 P.M. Cablelady made the first of hundreds of postings with the same one-word message that would be added to the thread – Bump!

For nearly seven months, the thread was kept alive by posters who wouldn’t let Gus out of their hearts for even one moment. As the weeks and months passed, Gus went home and made steady progress. As Paul would add updates to the thread, the good news that he posted was always met with smiles and tears of joy on TSW.

Sometimes posters would log on to wish Gus a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter, while other times it was simply to say goodnight and God bless.

The book is currently for sale at most of WNY’s top book outlets. It can also be ordered online at www.buffalobooks.com/soul.html

Aside from the story about Gus and TSW, Bills fans might find interest in the interview that I conducted with Jim and Jill Kelly concerning the miracle that is Hunter Kelly. I also had the good fortune to interview former Bill Doug Goodwin about his amazing heart transplant that took place on the morning of September 11, 2001.

As a first-time published author, I’d like to get the chance a second time and so I hope you’ll consider buying a copy of the book for yourself or for a Christmas gift for a loved one.

This site has been a godsend to me and I am honored to be a member with people as wonderful as you all are.

I’ll give the last word to Paul. I know that many of you have missed him and will be glad to hear from him.

Sometime last year, I received an email from a guy who said that he had heard about Gus from reading the posts on the Wall, and that he wanted to include Gus' story in a book that he was writing. After speaking with him at length, I agreed to his request, not really knowing what to expect.

Yesterday I received a copy of his book, and I was moved beyond words. This story is a tribute to you. Every one of you that cried with me, that cheered Gus on, that offered silent threads and so many prayers.

Frank has eloquently illustrated in his book, the compassion and fortitude that you so freely gave to my family.

Thank you all. Gus is laughing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gioiabeast/index.html

Paul Gioia

gioiabeast@earthlink.net

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much.

This is the most important thing...I've been wondering how Gus was doing. I still pray for him. Knowing Gus is well and laughing is much more important to me than tomorrow's game.

Mike

Is that Teddy S on the cover??? I know him from my place of work. (BOCES in Genesee County)...My cousin's son (not sure if this is in your book) was the young man who gave Teddy the ball repeatedly until he scored in a BBall game last Fall. If it's ok with you, I'd love to pass this info on to my boss and his teachers about this book!!!!

Is that Teddy S on the cover???  I know him from my place of work. (BOCES in Genesee County)...My cousin's son (not sure if this is in your book) was the young man who gave Teddy the ball repeatedly until he scored in a BBall game last Fall.  If it's ok with you, I'd love to pass this info on to my boss and his teachers about this book!!!!

53397[/snapback]

Yes, that's Teddy Schwytzer on the cover. I do mention the kid your talking about, Rick Riggi. I point out that his actions reaffirmed my faith in the innate goodnes of young people. Tell your cousin that he/she has a lot to be proud of.

I also tell the story of John Clarey and his brave battle against a brain tumor.