I know it's early but who thinks...

I say he doesn't make it...I don't have any inside info or clever remarks about him, I just have a gut feeling he's not going to make it. What do you guys think? :lol:

699750[/snapback]

If he shows up in great shape (which he did not his last year in Chicago) and plays with passion each and every day (he didn't do that in Chicago either) he can make it.

I think Lionel Gates is our best back next to Willis and hope somebody can push Willis for playing time.

He makes the team.

I think it is always useful for a head coach to bring in one veteran from

a former team. He then translates to team the coach's past history and expectations. That type of veteran presence is useful and the guy still has

a little bit of mileage left.

I say he doesn't make it...I don't have any inside info or clever remarks about him, I just have a gut feeling he's not going to make it. What do you guys think? :lol:

699750[/snapback]

i have the same feeling. i dont think he makes it.

richard huntley v. 2.0

I think he does make it. Gates will be released. The coaching staff was none too happy last year when he wouldn't hit the hole; instead Lionel took it upon himself to run outside the tackles and achieving nothing. This is from something I read.

Thomas showed starting RB chops in the semi-distant pass in Chicago. One reasonably assumes he is no where near that level, but that is not what he is called upon to achieve here as our #2. We simply need to see what he has left on the field.

The best thing going for him being our #2 is that his main competition Willians and Gates have shown less in their past thant Thomas and there is little beyond hope in their favor.

I think all 3 fall well short of the Kenny Davis standard and our best hope is that WM stays healthy, is used a bit more intelligently than MM/Clements used him and that the back-ups primary job is to provide a good blow for the starter and not be relied upon to start more than a couple of games.

I think Lionel Gates is our best back next to Willis and hope somebody can push Willis for playing time.

699753[/snapback]

What exactly have you seen from Gates, to make that judgement? Just curious. He barely played, if at all last year. If we were going on pre-season, I thought Rashard Lee was the best RB in games. He didn't make the team...

He makes the team.

I think it is always useful for a head coach to bring in one veteran from

a former team. He then translates to team the coach's past history and expectations. That type of veteran presence is useful and the guy still has

a little bit of mileage left.

699755[/snapback]

Yes, and leave it to this coaching staff that is short on experience relatively speaking to cut some good youth for a guy that might still have some mileage left... as what, a backup?

Meanwhile, watch Gates get cut, go to another team, and outperform McGahee.

I think he does make it.  Gates will be released.  The coaching staff was none too happy last year when he wouldn't hit the hole; instead Lionel took it upon himself to run outside the tackles and achieving nothing.  This is from something I read.

699773[/snapback]

You mean the coaching staff that got fired? and the head coach that resigned?

I doubt their judgements and opinions of the players carries much weight with the new staff.

If he shows up in great shape (which he did not his last year in Chicago) and plays with passion each and every day (he didn't do that in Chicago either) he can make it. 

699753[/snapback]

i read he showed up 10-15 lbs lighter already

I think he does make it.  Gates will be released.  The coaching staff was none too happy last year when he wouldn't hit the hole; instead Lionel took it upon himself to run outside the tackles and achieving nothing.  This is from something I read.

699773[/snapback]

and you read this from........ preseason games? he barely got any carries last year if he even got one

Yes, and leave it to this coaching staff that is short on experience relatively speaking to cut some good youth for a guy that might still have some mileage left... as what, a backup?

yes :doh:

Meanwhile, watch Gates get cut, go to another team, and outperform McGahee.

ok, now that is just ridiculous :lol:

I say he doesn't make it...I don't have any inside info or clever remarks about him, I just have a gut feeling he's not going to make it. What do you guys think? :doh:

699750[/snapback]

I think he's a better back up than Shad Williams and considering he has a history with Jauron I give him a better than 50/50 shot at making the team as things fall today. However Fred Jackson offers similar size and an ability to catch and return punts could make him more valuable. Although I'd probably willing to give Gates a chance as our 3rd back as he probably has the most upside potential.

Cutting Gates would be completely ridiculous. Maybe he'll end up being nothing special, or maybe he'll be a total stud.....until we know, he needs to stick around.

Cutting Gates would be completely ridiculous. Maybe he'll end up being nothing special, or maybe he'll be a total stud.....until we know, he needs to stick around.

702784[/snapback]

It's not about being smart or giving a player a chance. Fans want instant gratification and to see scapegoats and whipping boys pay a heavy price on a daily basis. In Roman times, one just went down to a coliseum and saw people (and other animals) get their guts spilled in the sand for kicks. Life's always better when you can see someone else has it worse, schadenfreude.

I say he doesn't make it...I don't have any inside info or clever remarks about him, I just have a gut feeling he's not going to make it. What do you guys think? :P

699750[/snapback]

If he doesn't dominate as the #2 he gets dropped in favor of gates or one of the younger guys. I think it is totally up to him but my guess is he gets cut.