Vic Carucci predicts that Nall will end up QB#1

•With the Sabres back in the playoffs for the first time in five years -- and inching ever closer to another shot at the Stanley Cup -- life on Western New York's sporting front has been far more entertaining than usual for the middle of May. I've been to a couple of games at HSBC Arena, but the most fun has been gathering with neighbors for rotating playoff game parties. The exceptionally mild spring weather has allowed for an inordinate number of early backyard barbecues, highlighted by the chance to watch the game with friends on a portable television set out on the patio. Buffalo fans are pretty good multi-taskers. Between periods, my neighbors ask for breakdowns of the Bills' draft and -- for the bazillionth time -- how their quarterback situation will shake out. Early prediction: Newcomer Craig Nall ends up getting the nod over J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9441343

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they signed Nall with every intention of him being the #1 QB

all you had to do was read Jaurons comments about Nall when they signed him and realize he wants him to be the starter

I think Nall will compete, and hopefully be one of those diamonds in the rough type of QBs that St. Louis is famous for. Plus Fairchild is going to make a huge difference with this offense. It cant be worse or more predictable than it was last year. As for the JP crap if he wants the job its put up or shut up.

I suport JP, but if Nall beats him out, I will support him, because like most JP supporters, all they want is for thew guy to have a chance. If he can't beat out Nall, then he doesn't deserve to be the starter. If Nall becomes the starter, the Bills season will look even brighter because I see it as being they found an impressive QB in the making (cause he beat out a seasoned vet and a young kid with potential the team had alot invested in) I do see Holcomb being the starter as a bad thing because I see it as Nall and JP not being good enough to beat out a vet who has no real upside for the team and the teams future (how long can KH really be the teams starter?)

I suport JP, but if Nall beats him out, I will support him, because like most JP supporters, all they want is for thew guy to have a chance. If he can't beat out Nall, then he doesn't deserve to be the starter. If Nall becomes the starter, the Bills season will look even brighter because I see it as being they found an impressive QB in the making (cause he beat out a seasoned vet and a young kid with potential the team had alot invested in) I do see Holcomb being the starter as a bad thing because I see it as Nall and JP not being good enough to beat out a vet who has no real upside for the team and the teams future (how long can KH really be the teams starter?)

693764[/snapback]

my thoughts exactly. i support JP, but if Nall shines and beats out than JP in camp, then Nall can start, I want whats best for the bills, as long as it doesnt involve kelly holcomb and starter in the same sentence.

I've always liked Vic, but he is not the Buffalo insider he once was, since hitting the national scene. Thus, his gut feeling about Nall is probably no better than any of ours.

Still, I could see a situation happening here that was very similar to what happened in Carolina a few years ago, when Jake Delhomme came off the bench to become a solid starting QB. Recall that many observers criticized the Panthers for taking a shot in free agency at the little known Cajun... The similarities (even considering the success in another football league) seem remarkable.

The funny thing is that if I was looking to develop JP then I also would say a couple of things and let the word out around the edges that I am hopeful about Nall. If JP caves in based on this rhetotical and off-fiefd assessment of Nall, the JP ain't gonna survive real competion when it comes.

If this Madden07esque challenge from Nall causes JP to rise up and turn his potential into reality on the field then he is our guy.

Jauron or Levy would be making the same stupid mistake Ralph made in assuming Jimbo would last another year (or more), that Butler made by rushing TC into start when Jimbo got concussioned out the game and in reaching for Hobert and in giving RJ a bonus too early, and that TD made first inextending Bledsoe and then in handing the job to JP. Either this gets decided on the field or we are in for a likely world of hurt if Jauron or Levy has already decided who the QB starter is.

Predictions are like....

...and you all know the rest.

Hate to tell "Mr. Insider" Vick, but the new regime's best interest is to let the QB competition playout. I know it's a crazy thought but I think they might go ahead and do just that.

we still don't know all that much about Nall. But my feeling is, based on the premature evaluations of his game, that he is the tweener guy, and that may end up benefitting him. More mobile than Holcomb, not as strong armed/quick to pull down and run as JP.

It all depends on how Fairchild sets the offense up and who can adapt their game to it the quickest.

I would suspect that the true competition is between JP and CN, but that they would love to have a vet like KH be the backup. So, there's two ways this could end up:

QB1: Nall

QB2: Holcomb

QB3: JP

or

QB1: JP

QB2: Holcomb

QB3: Nall

They can only plan to develop 1 QB for the "long term". The other QB will be on the outside looking in with his future undetermined. Holcomb should be the backup by default.

Predictions are like....

...and you all know the rest.

Hate to tell "Mr. Insider" Vick, but the new regime's best interest is to let the QB competition playout. I know it's a crazy thought but I think they might go ahead and do just that.

693929[/snapback]

He doesn't say Nall will be handed the job. He might just as easily mean he thinks Nall will win the competition.