Doug Flutie to make important announcement

i don't think anyone here is saying he's a great, but as per your question, he did in fact start the entire season for the chargers in 2001.

691660[/snapback]

He did. On the other hand, this isn't good news for those that preach "Doug just wins." The Chargers sucked that year, going 5-11.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

you mean you'd prefer that your qb crumble into a heap as opposed to scramble for the occasional first down or dodge a pass rush? steve young, fran tarkenton, and roger staubach seemed to do ok with that strategy. they all ran as much as flutie did.

691648[/snapback]

Yeah, but nobody ever crumbled into a heap as good as Drew did. :P

Congrats on a great career & happy trails to the Dougster. :lol:

Doug Flutie's 2 seasons as starting QB for the Bills = 2 playoff berths

Since Flutie got slabbed in the back by the Bills = 0 playoffs berths

My friends, the curse of Flutie is upon this franchise.  If I'm Ralph, I give Flutie a spot on the wall of fame and an annual Flutie Day.  Then perhaps, the football gods will relent and good football will return to One Bills Drive.  :lol:

691742[/snapback]

You want to talk "teflon??" It's funny how NOBODY remembers how Doug fumbled the ball on the Miami 1yd line with seconds remaining in that 1999 playoff game we lost to the Fins.

Rob Johnson, on the other hand, gets blamed for the "Music City Miracle" even though he drove the Bills to what should have been the winning FG.

Flutie = great PR.

PTR

Not true!  Jim McMahon would beg to drop-kick the little fur-ball! ;)

692084[/snapback]

The story I heard reported was that McMahon hated Flutie. According to the report, Flutie was a serious locker room cancer who lobbied other players, coaches, and management, that he, not McMahon, was the better QB and should be starting for the Bears. Eventually, the Bears decided to get rid of the chaos and dumped Flutie.

The story I heard from his first stint in New England was that Rod Rust (the head coach there) canned Flutie because he was a walking three ring circus and hugely disruptive. He couldn't stand the constant distraction of people politicking for Flutie to play, so he eliminated the problem.

In Buffalo, Flutie led one side of an all out civil war.

Probably all just coincidence. ;)

The story I heard reported was that McMahon hated Flutie.  According to the report, Flutie was a serious locker room cancer who lobbied other players, coaches, and management, that he, not McMahon, was the better QB and should be starting for the Bears.  Eventually, the Bears decided to get rid of the chaos and dumped Flutie.

The story I heard from his first stint in New England was that Rod Rust (the head coach there) canned Flutie because he was a walking three ring circus and hugely disruptive.  He couldn't stand the constant distraction of people politicking for Flutie to play, so he eliminated the problem.

In Buffalo, Flutie led one side of an all out civil war.

Probably all just coincidence.  ;)

692224[/snapback]

Goes to show that sometimes a guy can blackball himself. He didn't spend all that time out of the NFL without a reason, IMO.

It's pretty obvious the Doug Flutie is a walkin' talkin' PR machine! He has the looks and the underdog image people love...not to mention a network of people who defend him at every turn. He will be a huge success in TV...or politics.

PTR

You want to talk "teflon??"  It's funny how NOBODY remembers how Doug fumbled the ball on the Miami 1yd line with seconds remaining in that 1999 playoff game we lost to the Fins.

Rob Johnson, on the other hand, gets blamed for the "Music City Miracle" even though he drove the Bills to what should have been the winning FG.

Flutie = great PR.

PTR

692081[/snapback]

How come Moulds doesn't get blamed for his fumble early in the game? Or how bout Andre Reed losing his cool and getting a 15 yard penalty and moving the ball from the 1 to the 16 right before the sack? As for RJ, I never blamed him for the Tennessee loss. I thought he played admirably. However, I don't think he should have played at all. Flutie was the QB who played the whole season and helped lead us to the playoffs. If the situations were reversed and RJ was the starter and got benched for the playoffs, that would have pissed me off too. The same goes for the Bills now. I want the best QB for the team to play. I like JP because he is mobile, has a strong arm, and seems like a good guy. However if he is deemed not the best to play, then that's fine too. All I want is to see the Bills win again and watch playoff football again with a vested interest. Is that too much to ask? ;)

However, I don't think he should have played at all.  Flutie was the QB who played the whole season and helped lead us to the playoffs.  If the situations were reversed and RJ was the starter and got benched for the playoffs, that would have pissed me off too.  The same goes for the Bills now.  I want the best QB for the team to play.

692410[/snapback]

I do...and I was a Flutie fan/supporter his first year. He really stunk up the joint the second year. If you want the best QB to play, then you stick RJ in and see what he can do. Many people, including Wade Philips didn't think he could do any worse than Flutie after that final game of the season...and he was right for the wildcard game.

With Flutie, you knew exactly what you had. The wall he hit during his second season with the Bills was his limit. Johnson had what seemed to be unlimited talent which would show itself once in a while. This is why he kept getting chances in the NFL...sadly, it took too long to reveal that he was nothing but a walking body with muscles and no brain.

I do...and I was a Flutie fan/supporter his first year. He really stunk up the joint the second year. If you want the best QB to play, then you stick RJ in and see what he can do. Many people, including Wade Philips didn't think he could do any worse than Flutie after that final game of the season...and he was right for the wildcard game.

With Flutie, you knew exactly what you had. The wall he hit during his second season with the Bills was his limit. Johnson had what seemed to be unlimited talent which would show itself once in a while. This is why he kept getting chances in the NFL...sadly, it took too long to reveal that he was nothing but a walking body with muscles and no brain.

692433[/snapback]

The decision to put in Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie in the AFC wildcard Playoffs that year was a horrible decision, and unfortunatley was the start of this downword spiral we are in right now. I have high hopes we can turn things around in the right direction starting with our defense this year. If we would have lost, at least we would have been LOYAL to our quarterback who started 15 games of that season (1999-2000). It is still controversial, but the decision was NOT a good one.

How come Moulds doesn't get blamed for his fumble early in the game?  Or how bout Andre Reed losing his cool and getting a 15 yard penalty and moving the ball from the 1 to the 16 right before the sack?  As for RJ, I never blamed him for the Tennessee loss.  I thought he played admirably.  However, I don't think he should have played at all.  Flutie was the QB who played the whole season and helped lead us to the playoffs.   If the situations were reversed and RJ was the starter and got benched for the playoffs, that would have pissed me off too.  The same goes for the Bills now.  I want the best QB for the team to play.  I like JP because he is mobile, has a strong arm, and seems like a good guy.  However if he is deemed not the best to play, then that's fine too.  All I want is to see the Bills win again and watch playoff football again with a vested interest.  Is that too much to ask?   ;)

692410[/snapback]

all in all, the offense played great in that game except for screwing up in the red zone - one flutie int, a fumble that wasn't entirely his fault (he was trying to make a play and was blindsided by armstrong), a moulds fumble early on after a big catch, and the reed gaffe.

re the reed gaffe, he was tackled at the one, threw a fit, and the bills were moved back to the 16. they then kicked a fg. next, the bills recovered an onside kick and moved down to the dolphins' 7 yard line. that's when flutie was blindsided from the right and sacked. flutie had a spectacular game, statistics-wise, on the road against the 3rd best defense in the nfl. the dolphins also led the league in INTs. here are flutie's stats: 21/36 for 360 yards (10 ypa), 1 td pass, 1 int, a 90.05 qb rating, and 4 rushes for 29 yards.

all in all, the offense played great in that game except for screwing up in the red zone - one flutie int, a fumble that wasn't entirely his fault (he was trying to make a play and was blindsided by armstrong), a moulds fumble early on after a big catch, and the reed gaffe.

re the reed gaffe, he was tackled at the one, threw a fit, and the bills were moved back to the 16. they then kicked a fg. next, the bills recovered an onside kick and moved down to the dolphins' 7 yard line. that's when flutie was blindsided from the right and sacked.  flutie had a spectacular game, statistics-wise, on the road against the 3rd best defense in the nfl. the dolphins also led the league in INTs. here are flutie's stats: 21/36 for 360 yards (10 ypa), 1 td pass, 1 int, a 90.05 qb rating, and 4 rushes for 29 yards.

692457[/snapback]

It really comes down to how we feel about a player. We love Flutie so we remember the good times, and sweep the bad things under the rug. We hated Rob Johnson so his good times are downgraded and his mistakes are magified.

PTR

Good times for RJ? Aside from a few meaningless games, there weren't many.

For Flutie, the good far outweighted the bad.

It really comes down to how we feel about a player.  We love Flutie so we remember the good times, and sweep the bad things under the rug.  We hated Rob Johnson so his good times are downgraded and his mistakes are magified.

PTR

692580[/snapback]

His record is not 2-7.  THe Bills are 2-7 when he started.  This is a TEAM game...not tennis.

I may as well add a dash of unpredictability to my posting record by agreeing with you. Football is a team game. Judging a quarterback by his win/loss record would make sense if the other 52 men on the roster were merely there to cheer him on.

Say you put Joe Montana on last year's Texans team, and Ryan Leaf on last year's Pittsburgh team. Odds are Pittsburgh is going to pile up more wins than the Texans. Does that make Ryan Leaf a better quarterback than Joe Montana?