Doug Flutie to make important announcement

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for everyone bashing flutie, keep in mind that his 1998 season was the best season (by far) for a bills qb since kelly in 1991. and for those who want to bring up bledsoe in 2002, i suggest you look also at sack totals (54 for bledsoe, 12 for flutie) and rushing yards (18 for bledsoe, 248 for flutie). flutie threw for fewer yards, but had a higher ypa and a better rating. plus he showed in big games near the end of the season ...

I can't stand Flutie. I will rejoice when I hear the words that he is retiring.

I was never an RJ fan either. Both QBs were horrible.

Flutie never had any magic.

691501[/snapback]

Never had any magic? I would beg for the Flutie days again. One playoff appearance plus a 10-6 season in which he SHOULD have started the playoffs. Compare that with the rest of this morbund franchise's record, save for the Jim Kelly/Marv years. Fergie's record compared to Flutie's short time here pales.

What a short memory. Flake or no flake you can not dispute the record. I was in Charlotte for a game where he and EM absolutely torched the Panthers.

No matter what you think, Gomer and then Ol' Whitey's decision to start Rob Johnson doomed the Bills and likely set back the franchise for half a decade. Bills would not have slunken to 8-8 (2000) and then 3-13 (2001) if they had let Flutie (a pro bowler for Bills) navigate through the rebuilding. There would have been more wins. Easily. People must just hate short people. I never understood the contempt that some Bills fans had for Flutie. It was pretty gay.

I do have a signed #7 Bills jersey from Doug on my rec room wall, and a signed football as well. I give him credit for energizing the fans and selling out the luxury suites when we needed it. I also understand that he's a pretty good hockey goalie, though he wasn't allowed to play while he was in the NFL (injury clause in contract.) Maybe he'll pick it up again.

Harry

Who cares?  A QB with high rushing yards is a de facto indictment of the whole offensive scheme.  RB's rush, QB's are supposed to throw.

691633[/snapback]

?

you mean you'd prefer that your qb crumble into a heap as opposed to scramble for the occasional first down or dodge a pass rush? steve young, fran tarkenton, and roger staubach seemed to do ok with that strategy. they all ran as much as flutie did.

anyway, flutie did throw that year - and better than any bills qb did for a number of years prior or hence.

If Flutie is such a great and Amazing QB, why wasn't he a starter for any team after leaving the Bills?????

691657[/snapback]

i don't think anyone here is saying he's a great, but as per your question, he did in fact start the entire season for the chargers in 2001.

?

you mean you'd prefer that your qb crumble into a heap as opposed to scramble for the occasional first down or dodge a pass rush? steve young, fran tarkenton, and roger staubach seemed to do ok with that strategy. they all ran as much as flutie did.

anyway, flutie did throw that year - and better than any bills qb did for a number of years prior or hence.

691648[/snapback]

No, I'd rather the running back ran the ball, and the offensive line blocked.

You see...there's this interesting little thing that happens in football. When the QB takes the field, so do ten other players!!!! :P

No, I'd rather the running back ran the ball, and the offensive line blocked.

You see...there's this interesting little thing that happens in football.  When the QB takes the field, so do ten other players!!!!  :P

691668[/snapback]

?

are you suggesting that flutie scrambling *on passing plays* somehow dented the production of our running game? you couldn't be, because the bills had the third best rushing attack in the entire nfl in 1998 and led the league in rushing attempts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf1998.htm

If Flutie is such a great and Amazing QB, why wasn't he a starter for any team after leaving the Bills?????

691657[/snapback]

Because by then, he was 90 years old.

I don't think that he was "great," but he was seemingly blackballed by the NFL. Why, I don't know.

I am not his biggest fan by any means, but DF should never have played one down in Canada. He was better than a majority of the NFL qbs while he was out of the league.

I was a Flutie supporter when he was here, and while I don't think he was a great QB, he definitely was better than many of the QB's that were playing in the league while he was banished to the CFL. He definitely had his limitations, but I think he could've had a "good" career and been a starter for many years had a team stuck with him.

That said, many people argue about his behind the scenes antics, which I can't speak one way or the other about. I never met the guy in person, and obviously wasn't in the locker room. I'm sure there was something to it, but who knows to what extent? He definitely drew the ire of some, but he definitely led the Bills to more success than they've had at any point since the Kelly era, and while some will argue against that most obvious point, it seems to be common sense. I'd sure take 10-6 or 11-5 right now.

for everyone bashing flutie, keep in mind that his 1998 season was the best season (by far) for a bills qb since kelly in 1991. and for those who want to bring up bledsoe in 2002, i suggest you look also at sack totals (54 for bledsoe, 12 for flutie) and rushing yards (18 for bledsoe, 248 for flutie). flutie threw for fewer yards, but had a higher ypa and a better rating. plus he showed in big games near the end of the season ...

691618[/snapback]

I will give Flutie his props...he was the most effective Bills QB of the post Kelly era. That is not saying a ton. However, he was a first rate jerk, off the field. I have heard stories from all over the leauge. Flutie defined the term "locker-room cancer" in his days in Buffalo.

Call me old fashioned, but I still like to like the guys I am rooting for. I never liked Flutie before he was a Bill, and accepted him when he was here. I shed no tears when he left. Good luck to him...I got a feeling he will fit in well with ESPN!