Official Eat Crow Thread

Not sure what im missing but how can anyone declare this draft a success since no one has played a down yet?

684238[/snapback]

As I said somewhere else...right now, Marv's drafted unproven secodnary guys. This is great if they turn out to be players. But, given this team's undying need for line help, wouldn't it have been prudent to get help where it was needed most?

I know, I know, I'm just a complainer. IMO, this draft will make or break Marv long-term. If ANY of his first four picks fail, it'll set back the franchise three to five more years.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said somewhere else...right now, Marv's drafted unproven secodnary guys. This is great if they turn out to be players. But, given this team's undying need for line help, wouldn't it have been prudent to get help where it was needed most?

I know, I know, I'm just a complainer. IMO, this draft will make or break Marv long-term. If ANY of his first four picks fail, it'll set back the franchise three to five more years.

684241[/snapback]

I confess. I didnt really follow the draft that closely mainly due to my waning interest in the Bills. Still a fan but way more skeptical that I used to be after being let down so many times. Anyhow, is this draft by Marv based on his charachter is more important than talent theory? Just wondering.

Not sure what im missing but how can anyone declare this draft a success since no one has played a down yet? I think some want the Bills to win sooo badly that they give the benifit of the doubt way too early in these things.

684238[/snapback]

It's an opinion, the whole reason for this site! Lighten up and enjoy life instead of being so negative....

He's a very smart man, who can identify talent.  I also like his philosophy of the collective draft room agreeing on the pick.  You can tell by the draft that they are going after needs and not just the best player on the board.  You can tell by his post draft press conferences that he did his homework and knows the players talents and characters intimately.  I have total confidence in Marv's football instincts, even though he has never been a GM.  And he's not the only new GM in the league.

684237[/snapback]

Marv couldn't identify talent if it bit him in the butt.

What Marv does very well, though, is listen to his scouts about talent and coordiate with the coaches as to what talent will fit the schemes to be run on the field.

Marv did end up drafting players with a "football temperment" (as opposed to soft, pretty boys) to fill specific needs in a specific scheme.

We shall see if they can actually play, but I think the bust level is fairly low with this draft class.

What Marv does very well, though, is listen to his scouts about talent and coordiate with the coaches as to what talent will fit the schemes to be run on the field.

684268[/snapback]

You mean the same scouts who have been advising TD for the past 5 years? Oh boy.

Marv did end up drafting players with a "football temperment" (as opposed to soft, pretty boys) to fill specific needs in a specific scheme.

We shall see if they can actually play, but I think the bust level is fairly low with this draft class.

684268[/snapback]

Decolletage!!!!!! :lol:

Agree 100%. I was shocked by their picks and pissed off at first but after listening to various reports and analysis I think Marv did a good job and addressed some areas where it will pay off in the long run. Draft Grade A+ Superbowl 2009.

Right.  I'd estimate the "Fire Fairchild" posts start ~Week 2.

684240[/snapback]

Given that we play New England in Week 1, he might not make it that long.

Especially if we punt from their 32.

When the Bills chose Whitner, I freaked out. I thought they had lost their collective minds. But after reading all the stuff about him, and why they made the choice, I am on board. I especially like the Youboty and Simpson picks.

Regarding our offensive line, Marv did sign a couple solid veterans in the offseason, including Reyes, who started every game for Carolina. He's not done building this team.

Last year, even though we had a horrible offense overall, we led the league in FIRST DRIVE SUCCESS. This means, to me, that the talent is there to score if the playcalling is solid. Once Mularkey got off his script, he was weak. Remember 1st and goal at the Miami 3, interception.

Had we won that game, we would not have Whitner either. Maybe not even Marv or Jauron. Who knows?

Last year, even though we had a horrible offense overall, we led the league in FIRST DRIVE SUCCESS.  This means, to me, that the talent is there to score if the playcalling is solid.

684516[/snapback]

Ok, I'll ask....What the heck is FIRST DRIVE SUCCESS and how is it determined?

Last year, even though we had a horrible offense overall, we led the league in FIRST DRIVE SUCCESS.  This means, to me, that the talent is there to score if the playcalling is solid.

684516[/snapback]

And brings into question the level of player physical conditioning, too.

Here's a rah-rah, homer, B'gals sports opinion by a local n'paper columnist - that touches on the proper preparation aspect of the game:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...050357/1082/SPT

Last year, even though we had a horrible offense overall, we led the league in FIRST DRIVE SUCCESS.  This means, to me, that the talent is there to score if the playcalling is solid.  Once Mularkey got off his script, he was weak.  Remember 1st and goal at the Miami 3, interception. 

Had we won that game, we would not have Whitner either.  Maybe not even Marv or Jauron.  Who knows?

684516[/snapback]

For the life of me, I can't understand the notion that the 1st Qtr success relative to the other quarters, was an indication of bad coaching. To me it means that we actually had a pretty good gameplan and the players just weren't good enough for the rest of the game.

you HAD to bring that up, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?!?!?

:lol:  :lol:

684371[/snapback]

Jes' doin' my job. It's messy, but someone's gotta do it.

As long as he stays away from the naked bootlegs on 4th and everything, he should be okay.

And brings into question the level of player physical conditioning, too.

Here's a rah-rah, homer, B'gals sports opinion by a local n'paper columnist - that touches on the proper preparation aspect of the game:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...050357/1082/SPT

684523[/snapback]

Bills were soft mentally and physically last year.

HAd to laugh with reference to Sam Adams and getting in shape in the same article :lol: