Justin Strelczyk - RIP

Geo in Pa

Apparently, he was drinking beer in his truck just prior to the accident.

51131[/snapback]

If true, my grief is tempered by the fact that he died because he was stupid.

Very stupid, apparently, because hitting a semi head-on on the NYS Thruway isn't exactly easy. That's quite a median he (assuming so, given he was drinking) would have to jump...

Former Pittsburgh Steeler and West Seneca native Justin Strelczyk as killed this morning on the NYS Thuway near Syracuse - his pickup truck struck a semi head on. Apparently, he was drinking beer in his truck just prior to the accident.

:huh:

51131[/snapback]

I see the point of this thread, but I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for poeple who drink and drive. If this is true of him drinking, I have no sympathy at all for him. It's a total disregard for human life!

After he hit someone west of Syracuse at 7 am, he was weaving in and out of traffic at speeds exceeding 90 mph and throwing beer bottles out of the window of his pickup truck before the accident between Utica and Herkimer.

It's a MIRACLE he didn't kill anyone else!!!!!

I see the point of this thread, but I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for poeple who drink and drive.  If this is true of him drinking, I have no sympathy at all for him.  It's a total disregard for human life!

51169[/snapback]

Yup- I agree with you and DCTom. Any loss of life is a shame and a tragedy for the surviving family members. But IF he was DUI/DWI, it's not totally surprising.

Prayers for the truck driver out there making a living on the road when he was hit by the vehicle coming at him...

My boss called me this morning on the cell phone, he was driving to Albany and all this was happening around him. He was giving me a play by play and it was pretty surreal. It wasn't a "high-speed" chase near Herkimer but it went on for a LONG time. They had a bunch of State Troopers trying to stop him. They used spike strips, semi's tried to block his path, his front tire was shredded and he just kept going. He crossed the median and hit a semi. My boss is a volunteer fireman so he stopped to help at the scene. Apparently his truck burst into flames and he had no chance.

The story from ESPN

Very bizarre and scary.

This may also indicate that he may have spent some time on PPP

Nine months after his release by the Steelers, Strzelczyk was arraigned for illegal possession of a gun. Police said he slammed a loaded handgun onto a bar in Pittsburgh when discussing the presidential election with a friend.