Pat Kirwan on Matt Leinart entering in 2005 Draft

kota

He said he would love to get the sports reporters making the claim that Matt Leinhart regrets not entering the 2005 draft.

He said he would love to get them on the air so he could blow them up.

Matt Leinhart had a sports Hernia and injured Elbow. He wasn't even going to workout until he healed.

His father also called 6 NFL GM's and asked if his son would be the first overall pick in 2005. All 6 said no and that he wasn't even in the top 5.

I saw an article on this earlier with quotes from Leinhart and he said he had no regrets his elbow was injured.

Just further proof these sports reports write from hip and have no facts to backup their claims.

Seriously, anyone who trashes Leinart's decision to go back to school is an idiot. The guy like college, winning football games, and easy co-eds. There's nothing wrong with this. He got a college degree and almost made history just falling short of winning back to back Heismans and three-peating. Perhaps, it cost him a couple of million dollars. However, he finds himself in a very good situation with potentially great wrs and could potentially have a huge payday in a few years. I say cheers to Leinart, who probably had a much better year than Alex Smith. :doh:

He said he would love to get the sports reporters making the claim that Matt Leinhart regrets not entering the 2005 draft.

He said he would love to get them on the air so he could blow them up.

Matt Leinhart had a sports Hernia and injured Elbow.  He wasn't even going to workout until he healed.

His father also called 6 NFL GM's and asked if his son would be the first overall pick in 2005.  All 6 said no and that he wasn't even in the top 5. 

I saw an article on this earlier with quotes from Leinhart and he said he had no regrets his elbow was injured.

Just further proof these sports reports write from hip and have no facts to backup their claims.

682948[/snapback]

Cool, I like Pat Kirwan & am glad he made the TSW approved "sports reports" list this year. :doh:

Seriously, anyone who trashes Leinart's decision to go back to school is an idiot.  The guy like college, winning football games, and easy co-eds.  There's nothing wrong with this.  He got a college degree and almost made history just falling short of winning back to back Heismans and three-peating.  Perhaps, it cost him a couple of million dollars.  However, he finds himself in a very good situation with potentially great wrs and could potentially have a huge payday in a few years.  I say cheers to Leinart, who probably had a much better year than Alex Smith.  :doh:

682961[/snapback]

Or he could have made roughly 10-15 million more in guarantees and still have been hitting co-eds left and right.

Alex Smith, taken #1 overall: 6 years, 51 million, $24 million guaranteed

Since Leinart was taken 10, his contrace will be comparable to Big Ben's from 2 years ago (big ben was taken at 11)

Ben roethlisberger: 6 years, 14 million, $8 million guaranteed

I'd say thats a bit of a difference in contract size for being too much of a pansy to go pro.

I'd say thats a bit of a difference in contract size for being too much of a pansy to go pro.

682976[/snapback]

You only get to be 21 once...time enough to make money later. He made a good decision, IMO.

OK so i guess someone didn't actually read what i said.

LEINHART WOULDN"T HAVE EVEN BEEN TAKEN IN THE FIRST 5 ROUNDS OF 2005 BECAUSE HE WAS HURT.

So he wouldn't have gotten Alex Smith money. He had a better chance of going in the top 5 this year then last. Yes it didn't work out but he played it right.

LEINHART WOULDN"T HAVE EVEN BEEN TAKEN IN THE FIRST 5 ROUNDS OF 2005 BECAUSE HE WAS HURT.

683058[/snapback]

Dang, he would have been a late Day 2 pick last year? I guess I did read your original post wrong. :doh:

So he wouldn't have gotten Alex Smith money.  He had a better chance of going in the top 5 this year then last.  Yes it didn't work out but he played it right.

683058[/snapback]

From what you posted yourself, and what Kirwan likely said or meant, was that Leinart wouldn't have been one of top five picks, not top five rounds. It would be impossible to believe that NFL teams wouldn't have given his arm a thorough look, found out it wasn't permanently ruined, and then not taken him in round two.

Here's also what you said, specifically, which sounds like picks.

His father also called 6 NFL GM's and asked if his son would be the first overall pick in 2005. All 6 said no and that he wasn't even in the top 5.

You only get to be 21 once...time enough to make money later.  He made a good decision, IMO.

683027[/snapback]

He was a fifth year senior and he could have graduated on time if he had wanted to do so. He should make what ever decision makes him happy. If I was in his shoes, though, I would have jumped in last year.

i distinctly remember this last year. the main reason he didn't enter, as far as i could tell, is that he was definitively hurt and couldn't throw well. there were already doubts about his arm strength, and showing up on pro day unable to throw would have sunk him even lower.

i distinctly remember this last year. the main reason he didn't enter, as far as i could tell, is that he was definitively hurt and couldn't throw well. there were already doubts about his arm strength, and showing up on pro day unable to throw would have sunk him even lower.

683101[/snapback]

Not to the fifth round.

From what you posted yourself, and what Kirwan likely said or meant, was that Leinart wouldn't have been one of top five picks, not top five rounds. It would be impossible to believe that NFL teams wouldn't have given his arm a thorough look, found out it wasn't permanently ruined, and then not taken him in round two.

683063[/snapback]

Right. And if true, even in a best-case scenario, he wouldn't have been picked much higher in 2005 than he was this year. So he stayed in school, had a good time, played for another national championship instead of spending a season getting the snot beaten out of him behind San Fran's crappy line, learned how to dance, and didn't really cost himself that much money in the long run.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

:doh: