Am I the only one who thinks this draft...

Here's a worse draft... one that some might love!

1- Matt Leinart

2- Ashton Youboty (probably where he would be expected to go)

3- Gabe Watson

all the other picks the same

We would not have addressed the most important need.  The safety position.  And also we would have 4 good quarterbacks (3 of which would feel slighted).  I also see Leinart as a cocky punk with an average arm... and he would hate Buffalo.

680893[/snapback]

safety is this team's most important need pre-draft? sorry, but you lost a little credibility with that statement.

safety was maybe FOURTH on the list of needs of this team behind OT, DE and DT.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

safety is this team's most important need pre-draft? sorry, but you lost a little credibility with that statement.

680905[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? Did Troy Vincent impress you at FS last year? Lawyer Milloy is gone, in case you didn't notice, with the prospect of either <shudder> Coy Wire or Matt Bowen as a replacement. And you say BuckeyeBill lost credibility?

You're a one-trick pony lately, Joe.

McCargo is a better DT than Bunkley?  What do you base that on, chronic?

680773[/snapback]

Nice argument. Try this one on for size - who's better Coy Wire or Whitner?

The real question that will be answered in 2 years is if Bunkley - Bullocks or Manning, plus whoever was available at #73 will be better than Whitner - McCargo.

ps - nice red herring argument on SS - at least people had a chance to decide on their own whether they preferred VHS to the betamax. But, thanks to people like you who know better than what's right for me, you have decreed that privatizing SS is very very bad. I can sleep well at night, knowing that you've got my back. Thank you, comrade.

680905[/snapback]

Safety was WAY more of a need than DE. I'll agree with you on DT and OL (though I say OG not OT)

Are you kidding me?  Did Troy Vincent impress you at FS last year?  Lawyer Milloy is gone, in case you didn't notice, with the prospect of either <shudder> Coy Wire or Matt Bowen as a replacement.  And you say BuckeyeBill lost credibility?

You're a one-trick pony lately, Joe.

680910[/snapback]

Thanks for your input, but I'll say it once again: witha solid D front, you can plug just about anyone back in the defensive backfield and experience success. Ask the Pats last year.

Nice argument.  Try this one on for size - who's better Coy Wire or Whitner?

The real question that will be answered in 2 years is if Bunkley - Bullocks or Manning, plus whoever was available at #73 will be better than Whitner - McCargo.

ps - nice red herring argument on SS - at least people had a chance to decide on their own whether they preferred VHS to the betamax.  But, thanks to people like you who know better than what's right for me, you have decreed that privatizing SS is very very bad.  I can sleep well at night, knowing that you've got my back.  Thank you, comrade.

680944[/snapback]

People like me that know better? Did I get elected to the house or senate as a Republican? Because as far as I know the privatization bill (House or Senate version) never came up for a vote.

When you control the government it's not my fault your party can't govern. They control all three branches so how is it people like me?

On that same thought, if you're party is really anti-abortion how come there isn't a vote to ban it via constitutional ammendment?

Hmmm. Must be "people like me".

How can you hate the Kyle Williams pick?  I LOVE the pick!  LOVE!  Does it have to do with the fact that hes a  "highmotor overachiever"?  I suppose we could of picked some lazy fat ass underachiever such as Gabe Watson.  Now that I have done my DD I thing we did quite well on draft day.

680529[/snapback]

I saw every LSU home game this year and he's just not that impressive to me.

Reminds me of Jarrett Johnson from Alabama a few years ago.

Just a rotation guy and I thought there was more than that out there at that pick.

Overall good draft. Not sexy like some might want. Leinhart? Are you kidding me? Our first round pick will do more for his team than Vince Young will in the next three years! The more I hear about these guys the more sense it makes. He would have been gone very likely with the next pick--Detroit and Baltimore both really liked the kid. We got 2 players in the first round who will contribute this year and that is all you can really hope for coming out of the draft. They went for people who are smart and work hard and are coachable. Not like DTs like Watson who get benched for lack of desire---we've had enough of that kind of player for way too long.

Thanks for your input, but I'll say it once again: witha  solid D front, you can plug just about anyone back in the defensive backfield and experience success. Ask the Pats last year.

680987[/snapback]

Wow. What an oversimplification.

I'm glad you brought up the Patriots. What happened to them before and after they lost Rodney Harrison? 2004 = dominant regular season and SB championship. 2005 = winner of a weak division, ousted in 2nd round of playoffs. Poor secondary play was a huge part of that dropoff. You don't have to take my word for it; look at the stats yourself:

2004 Patriots pass defense: 212.5 yds/game, 18 TDs against, 20 picks

2005 Patriots pass defense: 231.4 yds/game, 25 TDs against, 10 picks

"Thanks for your input" too, Joe.

I think even you noticed that the team holding the Lombardi trophy at the end of last season has one of the best strong safeties in the game.

My take as of 5/2:

I would've liked to seen at least some talent with high upside added to the OL... right now, IMO you'd have to look hard to find another team with less overall talent than this motley crew has... I see nothing but temporary stop-gaps everywhere, with Peters maybe being the only one contributing in the league 3-4 years from now.

I think the starting OL on paper looks worse than it did at this point a year ago: back then, it appeared that MW had finally turned the corner and CV was a solid hard-nosed pro... if nothing else, the right side of the line was looking pretty strong. Right now, the left side doesn't look strong, the right side doesn't look strong, and the interior doesn't look strong. Reyes and Fowler may be upgrades to the garbage that finished last year, but I don't think that's saying too much at all.

As of right now, I don't see JP Losman being set-up for success as well as he could have been, & that's a little discouraging. It appears to me that Marv & co. don't really care if he is the answer or not, he'll be gone in 07 unless he really, really steps up. I'm hoping Fairchild & his schemes will be enough of an improvement over TC/Meathead to help make a difference here.

Still hoping for the best though, there's a lot of time between now & Week 1, maybe things will shake out better than what I'm thinking.

Not a fan of McCargo or Williams because of their size.  Williams because of his lack of athleticism.  McCargo is still African-American I think.

680767[/snapback]

Size? Why, because they arent 350lb tubs of goo? Try reading. We are running a cover-2 defense, which utilizes smaller quicker DT's. DT's that are in the 300 lb range, not DT's in the 350 lb range. McCargo and williams fit our system perfectly and were good picks.

I think even you noticed that the team holding the Lombardi trophy at the end of last season has one of the best strong safeties in the game.

681081[/snapback]

not to mention the best LBs and a REALLY solid DL.

Don't forget those guys, focus on Polamalu.

681404[/snapback]

Joe - if it was easy, every team would do it. And the NFLPA has done a real job through the years, restricting roster size and therefore bench strength and depth, so their stars get the $$$ and become irreplacable. They are not a union that has interest in expanding employment...more like a medieval trade guild. :P

Joe - if it was easy, every team would do it. And the NFLPA has done a real job through the years, restricting roster size and therefore bench strength and depth, so their stars get the $$$ and become irreplacable.  They are not a union that has interest in expanding employment...more like a medieval trade guild. :P

681431[/snapback]

And yet, somehow, the Steelers produce a winning product year in and year out.

I should know. More than half my friends are Steelers fans. They never let me forget that fact.

681404[/snapback]

Way to completely ignore the fact that your Patriots reference was blown out of the water. Hey, ANYBODY can play in the secondary, right?

You're on a real tear, Joe.

Way to completely ignore the fact that your Patriots reference was blown out of the water.  Hey, ANYBODY can play in the secondary, right?

You're on a real tear, Joe.

681521[/snapback]

"2004 Patriots pass defense: 212.5 yds/game, 18 TDs against, 20 picks

2005 Patriots pass defense: 231.4 yds/game, 25 TDs against, 10 picks"

And yet they did this with street FAs and 4th stringers. We'd all be jumping for joy if the bills were defending the pass like that. So now you're gonna tell me it was their DB talent that produced numbers like that?

And I was responding to YOUR reference to the fact that the Squeelers have the best SS in the game.

Blown out of the water my ass. NEXT!