Harry S. Truman

Truman

Many that may be applied to today, some things are never going to change.

667558[/snapback]

My favorites:

A President needs political understanding to run the government, but he may be elected without it.

Harry S. Truman

Experience has shown how deeply the seeds of war are planted by economic rivalry and social injustice.

Harry S. Truman

In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves... self-discipline with all of them came first.

Harry S. Truman

It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences.

Harry S. Truman

Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better.

Harry S. Truman

Most of the problems a President has to face have their roots in the past.

Harry S. Truman

Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination.

Harry S. Truman

To hell with them. When history is written they will be the sons of bitches - not I.

Harry S. Truman

When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship.

Harry S. Truman

You can always amend a big plan, but you can never expand a little one. I don't believe in little plans. I believe in plans big enough to meet a situation which we can't possibly foresee now.

Harry S. Truman

The list ended up longer than I expected it to be.

One of the most underrated and under appreciated Presidents ever IMO

668988[/snapback]

;)

Ever hear of the USS James K Polk or the USS Gerald Ford? Me neither.

Don't misunderstand me here because I'm a big fan of Harry Truman, but i find it difficult to call someone underrated when they have a carrier named after him.

CVN 75 USS Harry S Truman

;)

Ever hear of the USS James K Polk or the USS Gerald Ford?  Me neither.

Don't misunderstand me here because I'm a big fan of Harry Truman, but i find it difficult to call someone underrated when they have a carrier named after him.

670416[/snapback]

your average American does not know sh-- about Truman. He is probably more famous for "Dewey beats Truman" then much else to the average American. But then again I doubt the average American could summarize the legacy of the man on the $10 bill. Hell I would have a hard time summing up Grover Cleveland's legacy- he was on the $1000 bill.

;)

Ever hear of the USS James K Polk or the USS Gerald Ford?  Me neither.

670416[/snapback]

And the other answer is that they "generally" wait until the person has passed prior to naming a vessel after them.

Edit: Link to USS Polk http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/SSN645.htm

And the other answer is that they "generally" wait until the person has passed prior to naming a vessel after them.

Edit: Link to USS Polk  http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/SSN645.htm

670532[/snapback]

did not know about the Polk ;) but in my defense i live in Norfolk so my knowledge of the fleet is limited mostly to the Atlantic surface fleet

Edit: Link to USS Polk  http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/SSN645.htm

670532[/snapback]

Generally...not always. The USS George H.W. Bush had her keel laid about two years ago. The USS Jimmy Carter (a submarine, as Carter served on subs) is already commissioned.

There was an article in last week's Defense News about how people are getting rather pissed at the Navy's casual attitude towards ships' names, actually. They're breaking lots of sensible naval tradition (some predating the United States), and not a few actual federal laws.

Another note about Truman, the Democratic and Republican Policy Committees were established in January 1947, after President Harry Truman signed legislation to create majority and minority party policy committees in the Senate.

Generally they were to provide equally funded independent legislative research capabilities to each Senate party. The House also has two respective policy committees, although I am not sure when they were established, possibly under the same legislation.