Harry S. Truman

Generally...not always.  The USS George H.W. Bush had her keel laid about two years ago.  The USS Jimmy Carter (a submarine, as Carter served on subs) is already commissioned. 

There was an article in last week's Defense News about how people are getting rather pissed at the Navy's casual attitude towards ships' names, actually.  They're breaking lots of sensible naval tradition (some predating the United States), and not a few actual federal laws.

670562[/snapback]

Thats why i said generally!

I personally disagree with naming a ship after a living person. And its about time we get an aircraft carrer named the America and one named the Enterprise (because we wont have the current one much longer)

Truman had the lowest poll ratings of any president (22%), even lower than Nixon.

Ratings, Truman thru Nixon

670601[/snapback]

I know...3 posts in arow...sue me...

But i find it interesting that each one of these presidents had a strong decline in their job approval over their administration, and all ending at or near the low for their term. I wonder if this trend carries over outside this time frame.

Thats why i said generally!

I personally disagree with naming a ship after a living person.  And its about time we get an aircraft carrer named the America and one named the Enterprise (because we wont have the current one much longer)

672465[/snapback]

They can't name another carrier Enterprise until they decommission the current one. Given the rich history of the name, there'll be another USS Enterprise...however, given current naming practice, they'll probably name an amphibious assault ship Enterprise while CVN-21 is named the USS Bill Clinton. :blink:

They can't name another carrier Enterprise until they decommission the current one.  Given the rich history of the name, there'll be another USS Enterprise...however, given current naming practice, they'll probably name an amphibious assault ship Enterprise while CVN-21 is named the USS Bill Clinton.  :blink:

672531[/snapback]

The new class of LPD's (San Antoinio Class) are being named after cities - no more LA attack subs available

San Antonio, New Orleans, Mesa Verde, Green Bay, New York (city), San Diego, Anchorage, Arlington & Somerset already designated

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lpd-17.htm

Looks like the Enterprise will wait until the 22nd century when the space yard opens

The new class of LPD's (San Antoinio Class) are being named after cities - no more LA attack subs available

San Antonio, New Orleans, Mesa Verde, Green Bay, New York (city), San Diego, Anchorage, Arlington & Somerset already designated

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lpd-17.htm

Looks like the Enterprise will wait until the 22nd century when the space yard opens

672813[/snapback]

I don't think they'd name an LPD "Enterprise", anyway. It's a "carrier" name, that, like "Hornet" and "Wasp", they might use for a "baby carrier" - a new class of LHA or something.

Though the idea of naming LPDs after cities...yeah, sure, whatever. Used to be capital ships were named after cities, not 'phibs. Of course, used to be that subs were named after fish, not states. :lol:

They can't name another carrier Enterprise until they decommission the current one.  Given the rich history of the name, there'll be another USS Enterprise...however, given current naming practice, they'll probably name an amphibious assault ship Enterprise while CVN-21 is named the USS Bill Clinton.  :lol:

672531[/snapback]

Do you read my posts?!

It seems logical to name the CVN-21 the Enterprise and simply retire the current one and replace it with the CVN-21.

Do you read my posts?!

It seems logical to name the CVN-21 the Enterprise and simply retire the current one and replace it with the CVN-21.

673307[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that, given the current vogue, they'll probably name CVN-21 after a living politician and name the next amphibious assault jeep carrier Enterprise. As is the current vogue. Whether it makes sense or not. Because it's how they do it currently.

however, given current naming practice, they'll probably name an amphibious assault ship Enterprise while CVN-21 is named the USS Bill Clinton.  <_<

672531[/snapback]

I have no doubt that the next carrier to be built after the George HW Bush (currently under construction) will be named the William Jefferson Clinton. If Clinton doesn't have a carrier named after him the talking heads will claim the vast right ring conspiracy has control of the military, blah blah blah.

I have no doubt that the next carrier to be built after the George HW Bush (currently under construction) will be named the William Jefferson Clinton.  If Clinton doesn't have a carrier named after him the talking heads will claim the vast right ring conspiracy has control of the military, blah blah blah.

673763[/snapback]

Given the tradition of referring to ships as "she", and Clinton's well-documented dalliances, they ought to name a fleet oiler after him. ;)

your average American does not know sh-- about Truman.  He is probably more famous for "Dewey beats Truman" then much else to the average American.  But then again I doubt the average American could summarize the legacy of the man on the $10 bill.  Hell I would have a hard time summing up Grover Cleveland's legacy- he was on the $1000 bill.

670511[/snapback]

Alexander Hamilton, born in Nevis, moved to St. Croix as a child (The house he lived and his counting house bulding are still standing), sent to NY at the age of 16, attended Columbia (then called Kings College) served as Washingtons aide de camp, and confidential secretary during the Revolutionary War, authored the Federalist Papers, first Secretary of the Treasury, established the First Bank of the United States, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Alexander Hamilton, born in Nevis, moved to St. Croix as a child (The house he lived and his counting house bulding are still standing), sent to NY at the age of 16, attended Columbia (then called Kings College) served as Washingtons aide de camp, and confidential secretary during the Revolutionary War, authored the Federalist Papers, first Secretary of the Treasury, established the First Bank of the United States, etc, etc, etc, etc.

680169[/snapback]

And the only other man in American History shot by a Vice President not named Dick Cheney :doh: