Good article about Golisano...

Buftex

Nice article about Tom Golisano...possibly the next owner of the Bills?

I know everyones' dad doesn't get along with him, but we need someone with deep pockets, and strong roots!

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto.../17/story2.html

663927[/snapback]

I love Ralph, but Tommy G can take this team to a new kind of stability and prosperity, IMO. The guy is money - literally and figuratively.

Nice article about Tom Golisano...possibly the next owner of the Bills?

I know everyones' dad doesn't get along with him, but we need someone with deep pockets, and strong roots!

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto.../17/story2.html

663927[/snapback]

You hear alot of good things about Tommy Boy when reading various articles. He sounds like a great prospect that has deep enough pockets to keep the Bills in Buffalo for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

You hear alot of good things about Tommy Boy when reading various articles.  He sounds like a great prospect that has deep enough pockets to keep the Bills in Buffalo for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

663935[/snapback]

I don't understand this deep pockets talk. How does that make the Bills a better investment? Is the idea that he is going to operate the team at a loss? Or that he would be more willing to buy the team but make a smaller profit than if he moved it?

I don't understand this deep pockets talk.  How does that make the Bills a better investment?  Is the idea that he is going to operate the team at a loss?  Or that he would be more willing to buy the team but make a smaller profit than if he moved it?

663965[/snapback]

When you have $1200 in your pocket you can afford to invest in something that costs $700 that may make you $100 but that you can resell at that same $700 or more. If you only have $200-400 in your pocket, you cannot afford to invest in something worth $700. And no one will let you.

Tom G has $1200 in his deep pockets. No one else has $1200 in their pockets in Buffalo.

I don't understand this deep pockets talk.  How does that make the Bills a better investment?  Is the idea that he is going to operate the team at a loss?  Or that he would be more willing to buy the team but make a smaller profit than if he moved it?

663965[/snapback]

That's exactly why somone like Golisano is the perfect fit for us. I'm certain that there are areas to market the franchise that Ralph either isn't currently tapping in to, or simply isn't aware of what to do. Someone like Golisano knows how to take an idea and/or an entity and make it profitable. That's just what he does. He's determined, creative, and brilliant....bringing those kinds of qualities to the table can really mean good things for our Bills. He's focused on profitability, but he's also in touch with the little guy.....that's exciting, IMO.

Or that he would be more willing to buy the team but make a smaller profit than if he moved it?

663965[/snapback]

That is your answer, at least I hope.

When Golisano purchased the Sabres, he mentioned in his introductory press conference, that keeping the Sabres in Buffalo was important to his other businesses in the WNY area. So, even if he doesn't make the money that a Dan Snyder makes with the Redskins, he seems to realize that keeping the economy humming in WNY is imperitive to his other business investments. I am certain, should he ever buy the team, he would do everything to maximize what he can make, might increase ticket prices a bit, but he would keep the team here. He isn't going to operate a multimillion dollar franchise, taking a loss, but he could likely live without raking the city over the coals...

Everything I have read about Golisano, or heard from him, he seems to have a very firm love of the Buffalo/Rochester area. I am not saying he would never sell the team if it was too much of a loss, but I think he would think long and hard about it, and yes, would be willing to take make a little less profit from the Bills.

The other positive of his deep pockets, I think he would invest more than Ralph has (not blaming Ralph), in making the Bills "experience" a bit more positive, a bigger regional draw, perhaps.

Also, if what Ralph has been saying, that a new owner would not be able to participate in the revenue sharing plan, or at least not initially, who could deal with that set back better than a home grown multi-billionaire? I know the NFL owner screening process can be tough, but I think the NFL suits would have a hard time rejecting this guy. I am not positve, but I think his estimated wealth would put him amongst the tops in the leauge....

I'm all for Golisano being the new owner to keep the team in Buffalo, he has done a good job with the Sabres, But don't think he is going to come in here and start throwing money at the team to make it better. People go on about Ralph being cheap and not willing to spend money on coaches and other stuff, Golisano would run this team under a tight budget until it starts turning a profit. that means higher ticket prices, more affordable contracts to coaches and players, and not spending anywhere near the maximum of the salary cap. Once the team turns a profit, the purse strings might open a little, but he will run the team as a buisness first, and is not going to be willing to lose much money on his investment. Just because he has the money, doesn't mean he is going to want to throw it away on a bad investment.

Then here is the burning question----

If Golisano indeed wishes to purchase the Bills upon Mr. Wilsons demise, would you be upset if he sold the Sabres and they ultimately moved out of town?

Think about it, if you could have 1, which would it be? Sabres or Bills?

I'm more concerned with the notion of spending to the Salary Cap.....in years past it's been how much cap room do we have left....it is now looking like that is a non-issue as the team will not even spend to the allowable ceiling for players....that is not a good sign for competitive balance

Bills.

And apuz, I doubt he'd become cheap.  He'd probably do some housecleaning and streamline operations, as well as raise ticket, parking, and concession prices a bit, but I doubt he'd under-fund the cap or coaches.

664367[/snapback]

Not saying Tom G. would be cheap, just don't expect him to buy the team and start throwing his money around if he is not going to get a return on his investment.

How do you know he wouldn't underfund the cap or coaches, The Sabres are operating on a $28-29 million budget put in place by him when the salary cap is over 10 million more then that. He set that limit to ensure that the team will not lose money this year and collect revenue sharing. He may up the budget next year a couple million since they are making a small profit this year, but will not let this team operate in the red. He did not increase ticket prices much (he kept them around a level which the area could still afford) and I would not expect him to increase the Bills ticket prices much either.

He is a very good Buisness man and he knows how to run an efficient buisness. He is not going to go around throwing away his money on shiney things just because he can. He is a self-made Billionaire and thats not typically the way the work. They do not like investing in something without getting a good return on their investment

Also, if what Ralph has been saying, that a new owner would not be able to participate in the revenue sharing plan, or at least not initially, who could deal with that set back better than a home grown multi-billionaire? I know the NFL owner screening process can be tough, but I think the NFL suits would have a hard time rejecting this guy.  I am not positve, but I think his estimated wealth would put him amongst the tops in the leauge....

664009[/snapback]

I know this has been asked before, but I never saw the answer...are there issues with one individual owning an NHL and an NFL franchise? I know others around the country had owned multiple teams, but didn't know if there were any anti-trust laws against it.

There are 4 things I like about Golisano - he seems committed to WNY, he can sympathize with the "average Joe", he runs his businesses intelligently, and he's got the money.

I don't think that just having the money suddenly made the Sabres into a winning team. I think Lindy Ruff should take a lot of credit for turning this into a true *team* and having the right players blend with each other helps, as well.

That said, I think Golisano is a perfect fit to buy the Bills. If he's getting thank-yous on the street from fans for "saving the Sabres", imagine how mobbed he'd be if the Bills started winning after he bought them?

I know this has been asked before, but I never saw the answer...are there issues with one individual owning an NHL and an NFL franchise? I know others around the country had owned multiple teams, but didn't know if there were any anti-trust laws against it.

I believe that you cannot own a controlling interest in another pro franchise in ANOTHER city, but in the same city it's okay.

That said, I think Golisano is a perfect fit to buy the Bills. If he's getting thank-yous on the street from fans for "saving the Sabres", imagine how mobbed he'd be if the Bills started winning after he bought them?

664468[/snapback]

The day Golisano stands on that podium, hoisting the Lombardi trophy and thanks the greatest fans in the world, we will collectively stick it in the eye of Bobby Kraft "Handy Snacks," Dan "the man" Snyder, and "Double J" Jerry Jones.

Later in the week we would host a celebration in Lafayette Square that would be MC'd by "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, with special musical guest Rick "Rip" Daringer.

I believe that you cannot own a controlling interest in another pro franchise in ANOTHER city, but in the same city it's okay.

664485[/snapback]

Didn't, at one time, Wayne Huizinga (sp?) own the Dolphins, Marlins and Panthers?

I think this rule is applied differently in each of the pro sports leauges.