Tricks to make a baby sleep.

The_Real

Put her in the car and go for a ride until she falls asleep. I've had to do that a few times in a pinch.

Rocking chair usually did the trick though.

663599[/snapback]

yeah, like they had cars back then... :angry:

:angry::doh:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first off, go to sleep earlier than 2 am, and if it is a pattern for her, take turns with your wife/significant other, if all else fails....nyquil :angry:

My daughter hates to sleep at night.  Anyone have a suggestion?  I mean ANYONE!!!!!!  I went to sleep at 2 last night and woke up at 2:45.  So I need some help. 

Thanks,

T_R

663555[/snapback]

We play an instrumental cd (last about 45 minutes) but also have a fan running that really helps them sleep.  Definitely try a small fan, but make sure it makes some noise.

663612[/snapback]

While you want some noise, you don't want it to be grating or obnoxious, so when you choose a fan, try to choose something other than a Bills fan because they tend to make the most obnoxious noises these days.

:angry:  :angry:  :doh:

( been there dont that )

Sorry, I cant help it. We told you so!!!! :lol:

Anyway, newborns need to be fed about every two hours. Is she breast feeding?

663557[/snapback]

Yes, breast feeding

Yes, breast feeding

663643[/snapback]

You're screwed. Breast fed babies, as a rule, don't sleep through the night like formula fed babies do. Our son didn't really sleep through the night until he was ten months old and he was breast fed. Fortunately because he was breast fed meant that the wife was the one to wake up and tend to the child... :angry:

While you want some noise, you don't want it to be grating or obnoxious, so when you choose a fan, try to choose something other than a Bills fan because they tend to make the most obnoxious noises these days.

663616[/snapback]

Yes, but on the flip side (if you can get beyond the 'obnoxious part') the benefit of using a Bills fan is that they tend to be both constant and muffled. The constant whimpering and rhythmic moaning just might provide enough noise to lull the little one in REM....one can only hope.

Yes, but on the flip side (if you can get beyond the 'obnoxious part') the benefit of using a Bills fan is that they tend to be both constant and muffled.  The constant whimpering and rhythmic moaning just might provide enough noise to lull the little one in REM....one can only hope.

663685[/snapback]

Funny. When I think of Bills fans, the last thing that comes to mind is "rhythmic moaning." :):D

663616[/snapback]

Exactly. You dont want something that will whine and cry more than the baby.

You're screwed. Breast fed babies, as a rule, don't sleep through the night like formula fed babies do. Our son didn't really sleep through the night until he was ten months old and he was breast fed. Fortunately because he was breast fed meant that the wife was the one to wake up and tend to the child... :)

663666[/snapback]

See, but don't you feel guilty about it? I do. :D I keep thinking man she's getting like 2 1/2 hours a night of sleep and that sucks. I'm not a big wimp or boo hoo guy I just feel like if I could help out she might get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night.

T_R

See, but don't you feel guilty about it?  I do.  :)  I keep thinking man she's getting like 2 1/2 hours a night of sleep and that sucks.  I'm not a big wimp or boo hoo guy I just feel like if I could help out she might get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. 

T_R

663753[/snapback]

You can't feel guilty about something for which you are not responsible. You can't make a baby sleep, so quit dragging your psyche through the dirt. It's natural to wish your child could sleep well or eat well. The first few nights at home, our son would cry right after a feeding, and you just need to let them cry. It's a painful thing to do, and wifey and I spent more than a couple of hours feeling miserable and crying ourselves. But if you keep going to them when they cry, believe me when I say they will figure that out very, very, very quickly.

You can't feel guilty about something for which you are not responsible. You can't make a baby sleep, so quit dragging your psyche through the dirt. It's natural to wish your child could sleep well or eat well. The first few nights at home, our son would cry right after a feeding, and you just need to let them cry. It's a painful thing to do, and wifey and I spent more than a couple of hours feeling miserable and crying ourselves. But if you keep going to them when they cry, believe me when I say they will figure that out very, very, very quickly.

663754[/snapback]

I find myself trying that, letting her cry, but I just sit above her crib and crumble because I'm afraid something is wrong. AND man this girl loads up. Like no breath for like 3 seconds and belts it out. Purple face and all... :) I call grandma, she tells me I'm being a p#%$# and to get used to it because 'babies cry'.

Is it just something you grow in to? Allowing yourself not to freak out when they seem like their world is ending?

T_R

I find myself trying that, letting her cry, but I just sit above her crib and crumble because I'm afraid something is wrong.  AND man this girl loads up.  Like no breath for like 3 seconds and belts it out.  Purple face and all... :)  I call grandma, she tells me I'm being a p#%$# and to get used to it because 'babies cry'. 

Is it just something you grow in to?  Allowing yourself not to freak out when they seem like their world is ending?

T_R

663757[/snapback]

It depends on the "cry" - people who don't hear the baby will tell you "babies cry", but if it is above and beyond a normal cry, then give your pediatrition a call.

It depends on the "cry" - people who don't hear the baby will tell you "babies cry", but if it is above and beyond a normal cry, then give your pediatrition a call.

663762[/snapback]

That's my worry, I'm not well versed in the different kinds of cries. My mom and her mom are from the old school way of thinking. She's been to the hospital three twice since she was born and they tell me everything is normal and that she is in fact healthy.

So, I think the crying is normal but I don't think I'd know the difference.

T_R

Thanks guys, I'm not getting any of this from my retards err friends who are 30 and still doing keg stands.

That's my worry, I'm not well versed in the different kinds of cries.  My mom and her mom are from the old school way of thinking.  She's been to the hospital three twice since she was born and they tell me everything is normal and that she is in fact healthy. 

T_R

Thanks guys, I'm not getting any of this from my retards err friends who are 30 and still doing keg stands.

663776[/snapback]

It's too soon to be able to interpret your baby's cry, but in time you will. For now, what Scott says is true: if you're not sure, call your doctor.

You'll also soon realize that the amount of quiet between a baby's cry is a lot like taking magic mushrooms. The longer you wait for it to hit, the harder it hits.

I find myself trying that, letting her cry, but I just sit above her crib and crumble because I'm afraid something is wrong.  AND man this girl loads up.  Like no breath for like 3 seconds and belts it out.  Purple face and all... :)  I call grandma, she tells me I'm being a p#%$# and to get used to it because 'babies cry'. 

Is it just something you grow in to?  Allowing yourself not to freak out when they seem like their world is ending?

T_R

663757[/snapback]

It's hard. My wife is a pediatric nurse practitioner, but she would kneel in front of the nursery door in tears as my son cried like his world was ending. Professionally she knew that he was fine, but I still had to stop her many times from going in and picking him up.

That's my worry, I'm not well versed in the different kinds of cries.  My mom and her mom are from the old school way of thinking.  She's been to the hospital three twice since she was born and they tell me everything is normal and that she is in fact healthy. 

T_R

663776[/snapback]

Yep - a pretty scary time as a new parent when the little one cries like a banshee and you have no frame of reference to know if its normal or there is something wrong. No way around it - it's painful but you'll soon get to know what's normal and what's not. It'll also get easier to hear a cry and realize that its OK and she just has to cry - it won't break you up like it does now.

Babies are amazing. I remember when my daughter had her first bath at the hospital - she was the "guinea pig" for the class they gave to new parents on bathing your newborn. Man - I have never in my life seen a kid scream so loudly or get so red (seriously - like the color of a Bills helmet!). The nurse giving the class said that was normal, and boy were we glad. Had we seen this reaction bathing her at home we would have thought we had scalded the baby or otherwise seriously hurt her. Despite what we saw, the whole thing was just how my daughter (and many other babies) react to teh situation - she was absolutely fine (but you'd never know unless the nurse had said it was OK). It's OK to be protective and not correctly interpret such things!

Like others have said, it depends on what kind of cry it is (not much you can do for colic; usually it fixes itself), but if you suspect that's she's getting hungry more often than you'd like, here's a little trick we learned from our first. My son would start to doze off mid-way through his feeding only to wake up 1.5 hours later all hungry and start crying again. Once we started nudging him to stay awake throughout the whole feeding (mid-feeding burp helps a lot for this) he could take 50-75% more milk, and sleep an extra hour or two at a stretch. Saved our sanity. (Well, my wife's anyway; "Forward Lateral" had pretty much 86'd mine a few years prior. :) )

Get yourself a copy of this book.  I can't promise that it will work for you, but it did for us and many of our friends.  Getting your child on a routine / schedule is the best thing you can do.  My son has slept from 7:30 to 6:30 AM since he was about 3 months old.

663566[/snapback]

I don't have any children but my siblings swear by the schedule thing. It must work cause they seem to get their children sleeping through the night by the time they are around 3 months old. Sure makes baby-sitting their children a lot easier too! :)