Is it worth it to trade Clements

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebuilding periods are not three years anymore (if done correctly).  Buffalo fans are excused if they forget this, since the Bills have been mismanaged and poorly coached for the past five seasons.

661230[/snapback]

The Bills are off to a rousing start in this newest rebuilding plan!

I couldn't agree more!!!!

As I've said many times, the Bills are not contenders this year. By the time the Bills are contenders, Nate will be past his prime.

Get something valuable now, save $$, and rebuild the right way- drafting the next T McGee.

He is not a shutdown corner, but wants to be paid like one. He got burned quite a bit last year. Chambers made him look like a fool.

661257[/snapback]

Actually, while I could disagree alot more than completely with this post, i dodisagree with it fundamentally enough that it would be difficult to state a more incorrect approach to winning football that the post this agrees with.

IMHO:

1. Last year, Nate was toasted many times.

Clements was in fact toasted a lot more than he set the standard for with his Pro Bowl nod gained the year before, the idea of cutting a player simply because he had one less than stellar year at CB while he was playing for a non-functional D against the run would be the height of irrational panic.

While it was true that last year was a disappointing one for him, he has had a good career so far up until last year and deserved his Pro Bowl berth. It really strikes me as ciomplete panic to simply give up on a player in his prime years based on the one bad season.

2. The Bills are in the middle of a 3-4 year rebuilding.

As pointed out above, worse to first is possible in the NFL like never before. You can tell folks who have gotten use to losing after 5 years of failing to make the playoffs because they think that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild in this league when that is simply no longer the case.

3. Rebuilding is best done through the draft.

Again, this is a wrong assumption as the experience of the past few years shows that rebuilding is best done through a balanced approach that takes advantage of making good FA purchases. good UDFA acquisitions, a good trade here or there, and also a few good draft picks. A team that relies on one of these approaches as its sole or even a major focus to the point of ignoring these other tools is commiting itself to losing repeatedly.

One could site specific examples like NE (FA pick-ups like Harrison, trades like Bledsoe, draft choices like Seymour, building their 1st SB winner with 15 players acquired after June 1st, but even the best examples here show the point rather than being something to imitate (folks constantly pick a quality outrider as though everyone can do it).. Everyone cannot do it and the difference is being very good at what you do.

4. The better the draft pick number, the better the players drafted (generally).

Duh. This is an obvious truth. However, the real point is whether the draft is such a great thing that it is worthwhile to trade proven players merely to get the hope of draft picks. The draft is like the Lotto. Yes a few people get rich, but it is a lot easier to make poor draft choices than good ones. Sure if you don't play the Lotto you cannot win, but this does not mean that if you do play you will win.

Thus it is with the draft. Good players have to come from somewhere and most of the best players in the NFL were drafted at some point. However, this does not mean at all that every sixth round draft choice you make is going to be Tom Brady.

A winning strategy is to let some other team draft Brett Favre or Steve Young and then after TB endures the pain of losing with this draft choice while they learn, you pick them up in a trade or as a FA when they cut a two-time loser like Brad Johnson who later QBs his team to an SB win.

5. Therefore, trade Nate for more draft picks.

For the reasons above, maybe there is some deal that makes sense, but fans really overvalue the draft as a team building tool. It is an important part of the mix, but simply is a part of the mix.

What's the best case scenario if he stays? He has 3 good years during a rebuilding period. I say send him packing.

The best scenario is that due to the reduced cap hit of a franchise SB as contracts like the big one the Vikes gave AW were one shot deals, NC can be afforadably tagged and kept. This is particularly true with the overall cap escalating under the CBA. The best case for us is if he stays and ties hard this year because it is a contract year for him. We can tag him again next year if we choose and either make a long-term cap friendly deal with him if he performs in 06, cut him if he sucks or do something in the middle.

By far the better course for us was to tag him and then try to negotiate a long-term cap friendly deal with him if possible. If not, then we still can easily afford him this year and or flexibility is retained next year.

Trade him to the seahawks, they lost Dyson and will look to addd a CB in the draft, their pick is high, but we could also collect a 3rd in next years draft.

seattle have already had a former Bills' pro bowl CB named nate, I hope the results are the same if the trade is done.

I like clements, but if he doesn't want to play for Buffalo then let him go, via trade

If you can get a 1st rounder for him,,i say adios. The pure cover 2 (at least imo) can survive without lock down corners (not that he ever really earned that title).Plus the Bills are probably about 2/3 years from making a serious impact anyway.So even if they sign him to a deal,he would probably be ready to move by the time they were getting into the swing.Great OL/DL's can and do make a average secondary look great...The Bills should concentrate all (or at least a good chunk) their efforts on upgrading those first.

Let's assume for a second that the Bills are faced with the fact that Nate Clements must be traded (for whatever reasons...)...

Would you go for something like this :

Trade NC to KC for their #1 pick (20th)...

Then take Huff @ 8, Eric Winston @ 20

2nd round : Best DT/OG available

3rd round : a) Best safety available & b) Best DT/OG available depending on what has been done with the 2nd round pick...

Imho, that would be a fantastic 1st day!

Let's assume for a second that the Bills are faced with the fact that Nate Clements must be traded (for whatever reasons...)...

Would you go for something like this :

Trade NC to KC for their #1 pick (20th)...

Then take Huff @ 8, Eric Winston @ 20

2nd round : Best DT/OG available

3rd round : a) Best safety available & b) Best DT/OG available depending on what has been done with the 2nd round pick...

Imho, that would be a fantastic 1st day!

663478[/snapback]

Honestly, I don't want Huff...at least at #8 .... the guys good but he tackles too high and that won't cut it in the NFL....

How do make up for Nate in your senario?

Huff seems to be a consensus top 10 pick and although he might have some weaknesses in his play (which rookie doesn't?), I believe he is well worth the #8 pick in this draft.

I see Huff as NC's replacement and the Bills adressing their safety needs in the 3rd (while Bowens/Wire playing the SS position)

4. The better the draft pick number, the better the players drafted (generally).

What's the best case scenario if he stays? He has 3 good years during a rebuilding period. I say send him packing.

661116[/snapback]

I like Nate, and we're certainly better with him, but we are rebuilding. If the deal were right, I'd move him.

661116[/snapback]

I disagree. We need to keep good players that are in their prime. Nate is that. His prime years fall into the 3-4 year time frame you suggested.

Yes, he had an off year but so did the alot of people last year. He is still better than most CB's in the league.

I think Nate is a top corner and should be paid fair market value. The Bills need to do this to show that they are willing to pay and keep their best players. Fair market today for a CB is less than it was a few years ago. Lets sign him and take advantage of that good timimg.

Drafting a rookie, even in the first round, does garauntee that we get a better player.

It is hard to trade a franchised player unless the other team can work out a long term contract with the player. No team wants to trade a pick and then watch a player leave the next year. The problem with nate is he wants too much money.

The Bills are off to a rousing start in this newest rebuilding plan!

661376[/snapback]

And you say this because you've already seen what the opening day roster will be or already know how the team will play?

Please tell me who's going to win next year's Super Bowl right now so I can make a lot of money. :angry:

I disagree. We need to keep good players that are in their prime.  Nate is that.  His prime years fall into the 3-4 year time frame you suggested. 

Yes, he had an off year but so did the alot of people last year.  He is still better than most CB's in the league. 

I think Nate is a top corner and should be paid fair market value.  The Bills need to do this to show that they are willing to pay and keep their best players.  Fair market today for a CB is less than it was a few years ago.  Lets sign him and take advantage of that good timimg. 

663507[/snapback]

The Bills are well-positioned to sign Clements. I believe they kept that in mind.

If Clements is expecting a 12-18 Mil bonus in a massive new contract, what are the odds the Bills will give it to him ? You have been reading the papers lately, concerning the the CBA and $$ concerns ? That doesn't bode well for Clements in Buffalo, which is why he may not be signing his franchise sheet . Maybe...maybe.. he is trying to force something.

If so, a draft day trade is needed to receive something in return. This draft IS deep in CB talent, so now would be the time to address the situation, if indeed there is an impass.

We'll know in 2 weeks.

Of Course we should trade him for a late 1st or early second.

I know for a fact the Steelers are in need of a good corner (living in Pittsburgh), and that other teams would fall head over heels for Nate. This way, with an early second or late first, you have two choices. One, you pick up Marcus McNeill or Eric Winston to help with the O-Line, or pick up Ashton Youboty (haha.. yeah right...) or Kelly Jennings and work them in with Terrance. We're good for this year at LB, A possiblity trade for a Michael Huff spot would be nice, or even pass up on Ngata (although I see huge potential) for a later Gabe Watson or Claude Wroten at DT. O- Line needs help, and I think Marcus McNeill is our answer.

Pick him second round though, don't want another MWilliams.

If Clements is expecting a 12-18 Mil bonus in a massive new contract, what are the odds the Bills will give it to him ?  You have been reading the papers lately, concerning the the CBA and $$ concerns ? That doesn't bode well for Clements in Buffalo, which is why he may not be signing his franchise sheet . Maybe...maybe.. he is trying to force something.

If so, a draft day trade is needed to receive something in return. This draft IS deep in CB talent, so now would be the time to address the situation, if indeed there is an impass.

We'll know in 2 weeks.

663607[/snapback]

My guess is that they will re-sign him. I am getting a feeling, that this new CBA has a lot of folks unsure - perhaps the old adage, "Better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't."?

Dunno... :angry:

And you say this because you've already seen what the opening day roster will be or already know how the team will play?

Please tell me who's going to win next year's Super Bowl right now so I can make a lot of money.  :)

663536[/snapback]

No silly, I haven't seen the opening day roster yet, it is not opening day! :D

2006 Super Bowl winner: Buffalo Bills!