6.0 earth quake in central california

millbank

So let me get this straight...there is a town known as "California's earthquake capital" that is located on the San Andreas fault and experiences these types of quakes with "apparent regularity?" No wonder they have a population of 37! :D

This might be one of the few places in Cali where real estate prices are reasonable.

Hows FLA life with you bro? Everyone ok and with lights on?

48511[/snapback]

I was luckier than most I suppose. Big fargin tree branch hit my car, shingles off my roof, power out for 24 hours, winds at about 80mph. All and all, were luckier than alot of other folks. hows your sis?

I was luckier than most I suppose. Big fargin tree branch hit my car, shingles off my roof, power out for 24 hours, winds at about 80mph. All and all, were luckier than alot of other folks. hows your sis?

48531[/snapback]

Sis is good....power back on last night. She's sick of FLA right now.....can't blame her. But it still beats here.

Didn't feel anything here in Walnut Creek, but when I went outside a bit ago, I saw a couple of hanging pots smashed on the ground. The 11 year old Stepson wasn't home from school yet, so it had to be the quake.

There's been about 200 aftershocks from this quake.

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.htm

This however, can be called the perfect quake! Happened about 20 miles north of Pasa Robles which had major damage from last December's 6.5 quake. No reports of damage or injuries at all. Plus, this quake happened in Parkfield, which also happens to have a USGS Field Survey Office to study, Earthquakes! This area gets a 6.0 every 20 to 25 years. Scientists are saying that today's quake is going to offer a gold mine in information in regards to quake study, and could lead to an early dectection system for quakes.

So let me get this straight...there is a town known as "California's earthquake capital" that is located on the San Andreas fault and experiences these types of quakes with "apparent regularity?" No wonder they have a population of 37!  ;)

This might be one of the few places in Cali where real estate prices are reasonable.

48514[/snapback]

Actually Parkfield might be one of the safest places in Calilfornia to live, at least a lot safer than LA or San Francisco. That assumes you have an earthquake resistant building of course. The high frequency of quakes means the rock formations underground are in essence more easily broken, so pressure is released more frequently and does not have the chance to build up. Underground, near LA and San Francisco, the rock formations have much less give. The two tectonic plates that move against each other along the San Andreas are going to keep moving however. Because the plates are locked up at San Francisco and LA, the pressure builds up far more. The result is less frequent, but far more destructive quakes.

By the way, erynthered, I'm a pretty good speller, unless I get careless and let my typos go uncorrected.