Analysis of the Team as of 04/04

I'd like to stray from the topic of draft picks and "what we need" and go in to "what we have." I'd like you to share your cruel criticism and not-so-cruel crit, since I know some of you will toss in two cents to humiliate and destroy self-esteem (coughHolcombsArmcough)

I'll start with the Defense as of 04/04, since it seems to be our only hope with a quarterback-less offense.

Defensive Tackle - Larry Triplett, Benny Anderson, Lauvale Sape.

---I find Larry Triplett to be a huge addition to the D-Line (literally). We all seem to want a rookie to magically come in and fix the D-line, but with the addition of a 4-year vet in Triplett, I think he'll anchor nicely. Benny needs improvement, which is where I find the draft choice to come in to play. If we can solidify a nice, big DT, then we should have at least a slight advantage over last years debochle called "run stopping". I won't really talk about Lauvale Sape because... well... he's Lauvale Sape.

Defensive End - Aaron Schobel, Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay

---Aaron Schobel is a PB calibur player. He's got speed and strength. His 12 sacks were huge last year, and he is a great pass rusher. His 71 tackles also help a little... I think we're sealed with him and he's got years left in him. The merry-go-round of Kelsay/Denney at LE is a slight problem. Kelsay is the starter, but I seemed to see 92 on the field a lot last year. Kelsay was ok with his 45 tackles lasy year, the fluke interception, and 2.5 sacks, but it just proves his strength as a run-stopper rather than an all around D-end (Schobel). Denney's stats were mediocre, but I find his slight height advantage a plus for a backup, giving him a heads up in passing situations. His 35 tackles with the 4 sacks help him out, and with this Cover 2 scheme coming in then he may become the upper hand with his versatility.

Linebackers - Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Jeff Posey, Josh Stamer, Angelo Crowell, Mario Haggan, Liam Ezekial.

---Solid. We are solid at Linebacker in my opinion. Three vets that work well together, and a healthy TKO = dangerous. London always puts up the numbers (no matter if they are 8 yards downfield) and Posey is, although not PB material, a solid LB. Good backups in Crowell and Haggan are good, as proven by last years fill ins for TKO. No problems here, except that we'll need new ones in a few years.

Cornerback - Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Eric King, Jabari Greer.

--- Terrence McGee has proven himself to be a worthy CB2. Our CB1, however, didn't prove himself last year. Nate needs to step up the play, he made a mockery of himself in the Chargers game but we know he has the potential. Very weak backups. Very, very weak backups (Jabari Greer, I only remember burn marks)

Safety - Troy Vincent, Matt Bowen, Coy Wire (shudder), Rashad Baker.

--- Dear lord help us all. An upside with veteran Troy, he's got the skill to be an asset this year, but with his age we know the gas tank is getting smaller. The tragedy that is the Coy Wire/Matt Bowen spot is scary. We need solid SS's, and Special Teams Stud and the new guy just don't have what it takes IMO. I think we should pick up a good SS in the draft, I have a feeling these two aren't worth 2 cents.

Time constraints are choking me here, so I'll post my Offensive analysis shortly.

Again, this is my analysis, from a long time, obsessed Bills fan. Criticism is greatly appreciated.

I'll start with the Defense as of 04/04, since it seems to be our only hope with a quarterback-less offense.

651739[/snapback]

Well, you lost me right there with your "QB-less offense" remark.

It seems to me like a fairly ignorant way to begin an analysis of the team.

I'd like to stray from the topic of draft picks and "what we need" and go in to "what we have." I'd like you to share your cruel criticism and not-so-cruel crit, since I know some of you will toss in two cents to humiliate and destroy self-esteem (coughHolcombsArmcough)

---I find Larry Triplett to be a huge addition to the D-Line (literally). We all seem to want a rookie to magically come in and fix the D-line, but with the addition of a 4-year vet in Triplett, I think he'll anchor nicely.  Benny needs improvement, which is where I find the draft choice to come in to play.  If we can solidify a nice, big DT, then we should have at least a slight advantage over last years debochle called "run stopping". I won't really talk about Lauvale Sape because... well... he's Lauvale Sape.

---Aaron Schobel is a PB calibur player.  He's got speed and strength.  His 12 sacks were huge last year, and he is a great pass rusher.  His 71 tackles also help a little... I think we're sealed with him and he's got years left in him.  The merry-go-round of Kelsay/Denney at LE is a slight problem.  Kelsay is the starter, but I seemed to see 92 on the field a lot last year. Kelsay was ok with his 45 tackles lasy year, the fluke interception, and 2.5 sacks, but it just proves his strength as a run-stopper rather than an all around D-end (Schobel). Denney's stats were mediocre, but I find his slight height advantage a plus for a backup, giving him a heads up in passing situations. His 35 tackles with the 4 sacks help him out, and with this Cover 2 scheme coming in then he may become the upper hand with his versatility.

Linebackers - Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Jeff Posey, Josh Stamer, Angelo Crowell, Mario Haggan, Liam Ezekial.

---Solid. We are solid at Linebacker in my opinion.  Three vets that work well together, and a healthy TKO = dangerous.  London always puts up the numbers (no matter if they are 8 yards downfield) and Posey is, although not PB material, a solid LB.  Good backups in Crowell and Haggan are good, as proven by last years fill ins for TKO.  No problems here, except that we'll need new ones in a few years.

--- Terrence McGee has proven himself to be a worthy CB2.  Our CB1, however, didn't prove himself last year.  Nate needs to step up the play, he made a mockery of himself in the Chargers game but we know he has the potential.  Very weak backups. Very, very weak backups (Jabari Greer, I only remember burn marks)

--- Dear lord help us all.  An upside with veteran Troy, he's got the skill to be an asset this year, but with his age we know the gas tank is getting smaller. The tragedy that is the Coy Wire/Matt Bowen spot is scary.  We need solid SS's, and Special Teams Stud and the new guy just don't have what it takes IMO.  I think we should pick up a good SS in the draft, I have a feeling these two aren't worth 2 cents.

Time constraints are choking me here, so I'll post my Offensive analysis shortly.

Again, this is my analysis, from a long time, obsessed Bills fan. Criticism is greatly appreciated.

651739[/snapback]

Very Nice Analysis!

---I find Larry Triplett to be a huge addition to the D-Line (literally). We all seem to want a rookie to magically come in and fix the D-line, but with the addition of a 4-year vet in Triplett, I think he'll anchor nicely.  Benny needs improvement, which is where I find the draft choice to come in to play.  If we can solidify a nice, big DT, then we should have at least a slight advantage over last years debochle called "run stopping". I won't really talk about Lauvale Sape because... well... he's Lauvale Sape.

---Aaron Schobel is a PB calibur player.  He's got speed and strength.  His 12 sacks were huge last year, and he is a great pass rusher.  His 71 tackles also help a little... I think we're sealed with him and he's got years left in him.  The merry-go-round of Kelsay/Denney at LE is a slight problem.  Kelsay is the starter, but I seemed to see 92 on the field a lot last year. Kelsay was ok with his 45 tackles lasy year, the fluke interception, and 2.5 sacks, but it just proves his strength as a run-stopper rather than an all around D-end (Schobel). Denney's stats were mediocre, but I find his slight height advantage a plus for a backup, giving him a heads up in passing situations. His 35 tackles with the 4 sacks help him out, and with this Cover 2 scheme coming in then he may become the upper hand with his versatility.

---Solid. We are solid at Linebacker in my opinion.  Three vets that work well together, and a healthy TKO = dangerous.  London always puts up the numbers (no matter if they are 8 yards downfield) and Posey is, although not PB material, a solid LB.  Good backups in Crowell and Haggan are good, as proven by last years fill ins for TKO.  No problems here, except that we'll need new ones in a few years.

--- Terrence McGee has proven himself to be a worthy CB2.  Our CB1, however, didn't prove himself last year.  Nate needs to step up the play, he made a mockery of himself in the Chargers game but we know he has the potential.  Very weak backups. Very, very weak backups (Jabari Greer, I only remember burn marks)

--- Dear lord help us all.  An upside with veteran Troy, he's got the skill to be an asset this year, but with his age we know the gas tank is getting smaller. The tragedy that is the Coy Wire/Matt Bowen spot is scary.  We need solid SS's, and Special Teams Stud and the new guy just don't have what it takes IMO.  I think we should pick up a good SS in the draft, I have a feeling these two aren't worth 2 cents.

651739[/snapback]

I think your analysis is missing a lot, it may be better to do this after free agency and the draft. What we have now is not the whole story. A few comments:

1. Bennie Anderson is a Guard, Tim is the DT.

2. Give Sape some due, you forgot Jason Jefferson on DT.

3. Disagree with comments on the "Denney/Kelsay merry go round". Denney is a good rotational player,. It is way to early to give up on Kelsay, he may emerge this year.

4. At LB the big issue is whether Spikes is recovered ...

5. CB - Nate is a big time player who had a so-so year. Good thing we tagged him. I think you are wrong on the backups too. King is promising.

6. Safety - true we need more talent here. Baker could emerge as a good safety in the cover 2. Let's give Bowen a chance to play a down.

Nothing on the offense yet?

Special teams -- they were ok, right? :w00t:

(Intermission)

And now, for the Offense.

Running Back - Willis McGahee, Shaud Williams, Lionel Gates.

---I don't know about you guys, but I like Shaud Williams. He's a quick little guy that hits the hole and runs. I may only be seeing this because the Bills would go shotgun and hand it off to him on 3rd down and 14, but I digress. I think with Willis being up and down health-wise, we have a solid backup who can at least get the job done. He can't drive, but if he gets room he'll be a Willie Parker of sorts, minus the whole strength thing. Willis doesn't need to be commented on, I think we can agree that he's set there until his contract expires.

Fullback - Daimon Shelton, Joe Burns (sort of)

---Shelton is getting older, but then again who on this team isn't. He's a decent blocker, but I like the little trick they have in throwing him the ball onc ein a while. He's proven that he's got hands. Joe Burns is a good backer, in both aspects. He can block, but we've also seen him run the ball from the back position. I think he's a good asset to the back up squad and can perform when called on.

Wide Reciever - Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Andre Davis, Sam Aiken, Jon Smith, George Wilson

---A speed group, our recieving corp seems to be built completely on speed. With our tallest reciever being at 6'2", we lack the height of a TO type player, but with our top 3 all being under 6', I think we're ok. (Note: I don't count Davis at 6'1" as on of the top 3 yet) No high jumps in the endzone, but very quick and agile players that can be playmakers if they put their minds and quickness to it. Lee Evans was great last year, but is faulty as the "go to" guy. Josh Reed gets criticism, expecially from me, since it was almost a given that JP looked for him every time he threw. Roscoe, and I will stick by this til proven wrong, will do great things. I think he'll do good on ST, I think he can make big plays if given the right QB. Andre Davis is a good add on, although he had a slumping year in a Pats uni and missed the first few games. Aiken is a great ST player, and Smith and Wilson are decent backups.

Tight End - Tim Euhus, Robert Royal, Kevin Everett, Ryan Neufeld (Still with the team? I need clarity on this)

---There's much speculation as to the strength of our Tight Ends. Some say we have a solid group together, while others say that we're lacking something. I am with the solids. Tim Euhus is a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none. At 6-5 I think he's great height for a recieving TE, and he also has pretty good hands for a big guy. The one thing he needs to work on is blocking, but with the addition of Robert Royal, he has that taken care of. Royal is a great blocker, and if we go back to the old 2 tights scheme then this should be an alright duo. Kevin Everett has yet to prove he's ready for the big leagues, but I anticipate his play on the field.

The Line - Oi... Look, I'm not going to delve in to this one. I don't feel like getting torn apart, but we all know that we need a line. I like Villarial, why? He's a vet and he went to the college I'm going to. That's about it. Fowler is a good addition, and I think Peters is one of the few (if any) good lineman we have. Pray folks, pray.

Quarterback Debochle - Kelly Holcomb, Craig Nall, JP Losman, Tory Woodbury (if you count Tory)

---I could argue this 'til I'm dead, but I think our best bet is Holcomb. *avoids thrown objects* I agree, he is NOT starter material, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. HE PRODUCES. When you even up JP and his stats from last year, with nearly the same amount of attempts, Holcomb had better numbers. Sure, you'll throw at me that the D was weaker or something along those lines, but I just don't have faith in JP. I may just be sick of being an obsessed fan of a losing team, but I need results, a freaking playoff run is all some of us ask.

Ahem... sorry, got carried away, but as I was saying, if we don't have a set starter coming out of camp, I'd go with KH. I want Craig Nall to prove he's worth something, and I think he has this set up by having JP as the example of what NOT to happen when you start, and Holcomb as the vet advisor (think Shane Matthews with the clipboard, but actually doing something). He's big, he's got an arm, and his numbers are pretty good for a backup. I do not believe we will have a good quarterback this year, but miracles happen.

I'm doing this to look at our team in a good light, rather than the way we usually do by tossing dirt and rubbing our vintage memorobilia to pray that Thurman comes back at full health. I have done as much as I could to try to get a good analysis of our team, but I want to see your opinions too.

PS: if I made a mistake, one post clarifying it would suffice, thanks.

Mark my words"  Matt Bowen will be a starter and be very productive this year. " He will become a fan favorite.

652208[/snapback]

Matt Bowen = Matt Stevens without the long hair

A pretty thoughtful analysis, if a little on the optimistic side, especially at fullback. However, that is better than the usual "chicken littles." Have to agree about Shaud. In the current NFL, the differences between the haves and have nots is just not that great, thanks to the cap. This team (with help from the draft and a few free agents) can be competitive. 2006 may not be a DEBACLE after all.

(Intermission)

And now, for the Offense.

Running Back - Willis McGahee, Shaud Williams, Lionel Gates.

---I don't know about you guys, but I like Shaud Williams.  He's a quick little guy that hits the hole and runs. I may only be seeing this because the Bills would go shotgun and hand it off to him on 3rd down and 14, but I digress.  I think with Willis being up and down health-wise, we have a solid backup who can at least get the job done.  He can't drive, but if he gets room he'll be a Willie Parker of sorts, minus the whole strength thing.  Willis doesn't need to be commented on, I think we can agree that he's set there until his contract expires.

Fullback - Daimon Shelton, Joe Burns (sort of)

---Shelton is getting older, but then again who on this team isn't.  He's a decent blocker, but I like the little trick they have in throwing him the ball onc ein a while.  He's proven that he's got hands.  Joe Burns is a good backer, in both aspects.  He can block, but we've also seen him run the ball from the back position.  I think he's a good asset to the back up squad and can perform when called on.

Wide Reciever - Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Andre Davis, Sam Aiken, Jon Smith, George Wilson

---A speed group, our recieving corp seems to be built completely on speed.  With our tallest reciever being at 6'2", we lack the height of a TO type player, but with our top 3 all being under 6', I think we're ok. (Note: I don't count Davis at 6'1" as on of the top 3 yet) No high jumps in the endzone, but very quick and agile players that can be playmakers if they put their minds and quickness to it.  Lee Evans was great last year, but is faulty as the "go to" guy.  Josh Reed gets criticism, expecially from me, since it was almost a given that JP looked for him every time he threw.  Roscoe, and I will stick by this til proven wrong, will do great things.  I think he'll do good on ST, I think he can make big plays if given the right QB.  Andre Davis is a good add on, although he had a slumping year in a Pats uni and missed the first few games.  Aiken is a great ST player, and Smith and Wilson are decent backups.

Tight End - Tim Euhus, Robert Royal, Kevin Everett, Ryan Neufeld (Still with the team? I need clarity on this)

---There's much speculation as to the strength of our Tight Ends.  Some say we have a solid group together, while others say that we're lacking something.  I am with the solids.  Tim Euhus is a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none. At 6-5 I think he's great height for a recieving TE, and he also has pretty good hands for a big guy.  The one thing he needs to work on is blocking, but with the addition of Robert Royal, he has that taken care of.  Royal is a great blocker, and if we go back to the old 2 tights scheme then this should be an alright duo.  Kevin Everett has yet to prove he's ready for the big leagues, but I anticipate his play on the field.

The Line - Oi... Look, I'm not going to delve in to this one.  I don't feel like getting torn apart, but we all know that we need a line.  I like Villarial, why? He's a vet and he went to the college I'm going to. That's about it.  Fowler is a good addition, and I think Peters is one of the few (if any) good lineman we have. Pray folks, pray.

Quarterback Debochle - Kelly Holcomb, Craig Nall, JP Losman, Tory Woodbury (if you count Tory)

---I could argue this 'til I'm dead, but I think our best bet is Holcomb. *avoids thrown objects* I agree, he is NOT starter material, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. HE PRODUCES. When you even up JP and his stats from last year, with nearly the same amount of attempts, Holcomb had better numbers.  Sure, you'll throw at me that the D was weaker or something along those lines, but I just don't have faith in JP.  I may just be sick of being an obsessed fan of a losing team, but I need results, a freaking playoff run is all some of us ask. 

Ahem... sorry, got carried away, but as I was saying, if we don't have a set starter coming out of camp, I'd go with KH.  I want Craig Nall to prove he's worth something, and I think he has this set up by having JP as the example of what NOT to happen when you start, and Holcomb as the vet advisor (think Shane Matthews with the clipboard, but actually doing something).  He's big, he's got an arm, and his numbers are pretty good for a backup.  I do not believe we will have a good quarterback this year, but miracles happen.

I'm doing this to look at our team in a good light, rather than the way we usually do by tossing dirt and rubbing our vintage memorobilia to pray that Thurman comes back at full health.  I have done as much as I could to try to get a good analysis of our team, but I want to see your opinions too.

PS: if I made a mistake, one post clarifying it would suffice, thanks.

651938[/snapback]

651739[/snapback]

SCHOBEL??pro bowl caliber?? ..--its over with--the world has gone mad.