Teams are inquiring about Green Bay's #5 pick.

Per KFFL

Packers | Teams calling about the No. 5 draft pick

Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:03:50 -0800

Tom Silverstein, writing for the Sporting News, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has fielded inquiries from teams who are interested in obtaining the club's No. 5 draft pick and will probably consider options for moving back. He doesn't want to move too far and fall out of reach of the elite players, but he could drop two or three spots and still have a shot at Maryland TE Vernon Davis, a potential candidate for the Packers.

The part about dropping back 2 or 3 spots has me interested.

I think they could certainly be one of them. The Bills need a significant upgrade to their pass rush and if they could trade up at a reasonable price and get Mario Williams, I don't think they'd hesitate to do it.

I think they could certainly be one of them.  The Bills need a significant upgrade to their pass rush and if they could trade up at a reasonable price and get Mario Williams,  I don't think they'd hesitate to do it.

649138[/snapback]

Mario is gone at 2. I'll bet money on it.

Here is the thing though........I don't see Williams being there at 5 anymore. I really see the Saints a a great candidate to land Williams. From what I am hearing and reading, Williams and DA BRICK are the 2 guys that they are going to choose between. But they reall need help on defense. However, I could see DA BRICK heading there as well now that they have DB.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is a VERY good chance of Super Mario already being off the board by 5. The Jets would also look at him at 4.

With all the recent developments with the top teams in the draft, things are not shaping up like they were 3 or 4 weeks ago. A lot of the top teams have addressed their needs in other ways and are now looking in a different direction. It will be interesting to say the least!

So, I've been keeping track, and I guess since there are about 20 guys who are guaranteed not to be there at #8 then I guess there will be 10 guys gone by #5....right?

Still figuring this draft stuff out...

So, I've been keeping track, and I guess since there are about 20 guys who are guaranteed not to be there at #8 then I guess there will be 10 guys gone by #5....right?

649147[/snapback]

Gone by #5:-

Bush

Leinhart

Williams

D'Brick

It's all guessing but I would think most would be surprised if this were not the case.

From all reports, these four are a cut above the rest.

But hey, the draft has surprises every year. :D

I really don't see the Saints drafting Mario Williams with two 1st round DEs on the roster. I believe they will select D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The team I'm concerned about would be the NY Jets. Their trade of John Abraham has opened up a hole on their roster at RDE and I can see them selecting him with the 4th overall pick. I think they'd either take him or AJ Hawk, but Williams would be my guess.

So yes, I do think its a longshot. But if the Bills think he might last until the 5th pick and the Packers are shopping that pick, I would not at all be suprised to hear that the Bills are interested. Of course, the trade itself wouldn't actually happen until draft day if Williams happened to be on the board at 5.

649147[/snapback]

Actually no. It's just that everyone keeps bringing up the same players over and over again.

Given our many needs, it strikes me as a disaster for us to trade resources away to simply move up to #5 where the possible groundbreaking players at our need positions would probably be gone anyway.

Trading up in this draft to move up 3 slots simply looks like a very bad move.

I really don't see the Saints drafting Mario Williams with two 1st round DEs on the roster.  I believe they will select D'Brickashaw Ferguson.  The team I'm concerned about would be the NY Jets.  Their trade of John Abraham has opened up a hole on their roster at RDE and I can see them selecting him with the 4th overall pick.  I think they'd either take him or AJ Hawk,  but Williams would be my guess. 

So yes, I do think its a longshot.  But if the Bills think he might last until the 5th pick and the Packers are shopping that pick,  I would not at all be suprised to hear that the Bills are interested.  Of course,  the trade itself wouldn't actually happen until draft day if Williams happened to be on the board at 5.

649163[/snapback]

I think Howard left via free agency.

649147[/snapback]

Also remember this draft rule of thumb. There are (the number of the Bills 1st round pick - 1) cant miss blue chip prospects in the draft, and we will miss out on all of them.

Also remember this draft rule of thumb. There are (the number of the Bills 1st round pick - 1) cant miss blue chip prospects in the draft, and we will miss out on all of them.

649377[/snapback]

Yeah, I forgot that rule. :D

Except for the revisionist "can't miss" guy shows up....you know, the one who gets picked 10 spots after our pick that actually happens to play well, causing people two years on to say "I told you we should have picked him two years ago! I told you he was a 'can't miss'!"