LOST 2.17 Discusion Thread

No, he got up. He was initially knocked out but then made it into the vents. He also was at the terminal because we heard the buttons being pushed -- but again, I think he may have hit a different sequence...or at least it's possible.

646769[/snapback]

Especially because he took a blow to the head. Though I am still perplexed how quickly he got the sequence of numbers memorised to begin with.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long would something like that have been going on?  I know it's a big island, but wouldn't they have encountered other food drops by now, if it is indeed a regular automated thing? 

How about this?  Letting the countdown clock expire triggers the food drop--as long as they keep hitting the button, they're not re-supplied.

646764[/snapback]

They've been on the island for 40 some odd days...it's not unlikely that the drop frequency would be longer than that (i.e. 90 days).

They've been on the island for 40 some odd days...it's not unlikely that the drop frequency would be longer than that (i.e. 90 days).

646839[/snapback]

No, my point was why aren't they finding downed parachutes all over the place if there was no one to recover them before the "lost-aways" arrived. Would the "others" be scavaging them first?

EZC-Boston Posted Today, 11:23 AM

I loved Kate's line last night. "Should I get a ruler?"

Very funny, but I loved Sawyer's line to Jack.

"Just because I dropped out of school in the 9th grade, does'nt mean I'm a dummy."

:blink::P:lol:

Here is another image "explaining" the map.  Not sure of the source, I found it on another forum.

Another Map Image

646928[/snapback]

Interesting, a lot of latin phrases. Here's one from near the Swan hatch:

Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est - The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow

One from near the center of the map:

Nil actum reputa si quid superest agendum - Don't consider that anything has been done if anything is left to be done.

Two phrases from adjacent to the Swan hatch, in area "CV III":

Liberate te ex inferis - Save yourself from hell

Hic Sunt Dracones - here be dragons

From near hatch C3:

Credo nos in fluctu eodem esse - I think we're on the same wavelength

From near the Staff (medical?) hatch and repeated three times:

Sursum corda - Lift up your hearts (to God)

The "here be dragons" pharse is interesting. I found this background on the history of the term in relation to its usage on maps.

In the New York public library sets a small copper sphere known as the Lenox Globe.. This 1503 artifact dates back to a time when the world, in its entirety, was yet to be explored. If you look closely at the Eastern coast of Asia near the equatorial line you can find the Latin words, hic sunt dracones, which translates to, here are dragons. These simple, etched words signified the end of "discovered" lands, words warning sailors of the uncertainty and dangers of the unknown. This warning held many a brave man in check but for a select few; it issued a silent challenge to push forward. These men recognized the fact that no true opportunity or progress can come without risk. They were willing to face their dragons.

Here's an interesting theory about the blast doors that a friend of mine came up with...could the count down and subsequent closure of the blast doors have been timed with the food drop?  The Dharma project participants assumedly are supposed to be isolated from the rest of the world, so perhaps the lock down occurs to prevent them seeing/being seen by whoever/whatever does the food drop.

And on the topic of the food drop...my theory is that this is an automated process where every 90 days or so (a guess), a drone from another nearby island (???) flies over our island and makes the drop.  The natural next question is why is this still occuring, assuming that the organizers of the Dharma project know that it has gone kaput.

Discuss.

646546[/snapback]

I thought the same thing...the "announcement" over the PA system preceeded the doors closing/food drop...it may be a warning of "incoming"...is it possible that this island has some sort of defense system, hence the "shoot downs" of planes, balloons etc...but then why wouldn't the supply plane be shot down as well?

I thought the same thing...the "announcement" over the PA system preceeded the doors closing/food drop...it may be a warning of "incoming"...is it possible that this island has some sort of defense system, hence the "shoot downs" of planes, balloons etc...but then why wouldn't the supply plane be shot down as well?

647004[/snapback]

You may be on to something. A note on the map linked above says:

"Activity minimal during lockdown and restocking procedures"

No, my point was why aren't they finding downed parachutes all over the place if there was no one to recover them before the "lost-aways" arrived.  Would the "others" be scavaging them first?

646884[/snapback]

Before the "lost-aways" arrived, it's likely that the others did pick up the drops. Another option is that Desmond got them too, though I don't think he had been outside in a while (am I right about that?).

Before the "lost-aways" arrived, it's likely that the others did pick up the drops.  Another option is that Desmond got them too, though I don't think he had been outside in a while (am I right about that?).

647751[/snapback]

My apologies if this has been asked and answered-- I'm avoiding most of this thread to evade any spoilers-- but I'm a fan of the series, late-coming, and after watching the first season on DVD, didn't want to jump into Season Two midstream.

Does anyone have access to Season Two episodes on DVD? I would gladly pay for the cost of any disks and shipping, if you could send them my way.

If you could PM or e-mail me (habes1278@hotmail.com), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, guys.

My apologies if this has been asked and answered-- I'm avoiding most of this thread to evade any spoilers-- but I'm a fan of the series, late-coming, and after watching the first season on DVD, didn't want to jump into Season Two midstream.

Does anyone have access to Season Two episodes on DVD?  I would gladly pay for the cost of any disks and shipping, if you could send them my way. 

If you could PM or e-mail me (habes1278@hotmail.com), I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks, guys.

647756[/snapback]

All the episodes are available from Itunes. I just downloaded and watched last weeks before last nights since I missed it and wanted to be current before the show. Works great, and for 2 bucks an episode, how can you go wrong.

Here's an interesting theory about the blast doors that a friend of mine came up with...could the count down and subsequent closure of the blast doors have been timed with the food drop?  The Dharma project participants assumedly are supposed to be isolated from the rest of the world, so perhaps the lock down occurs to prevent them seeing/being seen by whoever/whatever does the food drop.

And on the topic of the food drop...my theory is that this is an automated process where every 90 days or so (a guess), a drone from another nearby island (???) flies over our island and makes the drop.  The natural next question is why is this still occuring, assuming that the organizers of the Dharma project know that it has gone kaput.

Discuss.

646546[/snapback]

The blast doors don't fall to keep people from seeing the plane. They probably fall because there was an incoming object--like a plane--and they protect whoever is inside in case it's more than food falling.

Before the "lost-aways" arrived, it's likely that the others did pick up the drops.  Another option is that Desmond got them too, though I don't think he had been outside in a while (am I right about that?).

647751[/snapback]

Desmond kept the pantries well stocked, and the Others generally occupy the other side of the island, so it would stand to reason that he got the food drops. It's not that he didn't go outside (in fact, he was moving pretty well when he was running away); simply that he couldn't go outside for very long.