If the reports are true...

...then we will not be in the position to draft Williams and Ferguson. Ngata doesn't fit our system and apparently we don't need A.J. Hawk. I'm just wondering, who has proof that Spikes will make a complete recovery? IF we stay at #8 then the players who could fill a need/desire and constitute the pick would be Huff and Preston. The holes that we have and the thriftiness of the Ralph and Marv show, it would make more sense to trade down and accumalate more picks. We could find value at the DB and TE position later in the first rd and in the second if we so wish. What would really help our cause would be if Young were to slip to the #8 slot or Ngata. These two players could really up the ante for us with some other teams. Arizona and Minnesota could stand to groom Young and Baltimore and Philly should be interested in Ngata. Of course I only listed a couple of obvious teams for each of these players but one could probably state a case for a few other teams for these players also. The #8 pick is a good one but unfortunately not good enough for the player (Ferguson) we need. I'd rather see us cash in this slot than just to use it on a player that doesn't fill a huge need. Does all this seem accurate? If so, would this be our most effective game plan not only for the draft but to rebuild this team?

...and apparently we don't need A.J. Hawk. I'm just wondering, who has proof that Spikes will make a complete recovery?

645209[/snapback]

lets assume spikes can never play again, our LB's would be the same as last year, fletcher, crowell, and posey..... which is not as bad as our o-line or d-line.

If we stay at the #8 pick then I think that A.J. would give us the best value. Even with Spikes healthy Hawk could still be in the mix. Posey isn't a spring chicken and if Spikes doesn't make a complete recovery then he would fill in quite nicely.

lets assume spikes can never play again, our LB's would be the same as last year, fletcher, crowell, and posey..... which is not as bad as our o-line or d-line.

645211[/snapback]

This may be an unpopular thing to say, but I think, in a new defense, Jeff Posey might impress people a little more. It seems, in Buffalo, he has been used as more of a "stay at home" backer. When he was down here, in Houston, he was a pass rusher, and a pretty good one.

Also, I think Posey is the youngest of our starting linebackers, from the begining of last season. I know he is younger than Fletcher, and I am pretty sure he is a few years younger than Spikes...not being a Posey apologist, I'm just saying....

This may be an unpopular thing to say, but I think, in a new defense, Jeff Posey might impress people a little more.  It seems, in Buffalo, he has been used as more of a "stay at home" backer.  When he was down here, in Houston, he was a pass rusher, and a pretty good one. 

Also, I think Posey is the youngest of our starting linebackers, from the begining of last season. I know he is younger than Fletcher, and I am pretty sure he is a few years younger than Spikes...not being a Posey apologist, I'm just saying....

645219[/snapback]

Fletcher and Posey are both 30. Fletcher will be 31 soon. Posey in August. TKO is 29 and will be 30 in December. Crowell is 25... I was bored. :unsure:

Fletcher and Posey are both 30. Fletcher will be 31 soon.  Posey in August.  TKO is 29 and will be 30 in December.  Crowell is 25...  I was bored.  :unsure:

645220[/snapback]

Geez, these guys with the exception of Crowell, should be thinking about retiring to enjoy their money! Realistically, an average linebacker starts to get old and lose a step when at 32/33? I guess these are needs we will need to start addressing next year or very soon. Hopefully, though after we repair the D and O lines.

...then we will not be in the position to draft Williams and Ferguson. Ngata doesn't fit our system and apparently we don't need A.J. Hawk. I'm just wondering, who has proof that Spikes will make a complete recovery? IF we stay at #8 then the players who could fill a need/desire and constitute the pick would be Huff and Preston. The holes that we have and the thriftiness of the Ralph and Marv show, it would make more sense to trade down and accumalate more picks. We could find value at the DB and TE position later in the first rd and in the second if we so wish. What would really help our cause would be if Young were to slip to the #8 slot or Ngata. These two players could really up the ante for us with some other teams. Arizona and Minnesota could stand to groom Young and Baltimore and Philly should be interested in Ngata. Of course I only listed a couple of obvious teams for each of these players but one could probably state a case for a few other teams for these players also. The #8 pick is a good one but unfortunately not good enough for the player (Ferguson) we need. I'd rather see us cash in this slot than just to use it on a player that doesn't fill a huge need. Does all this seem accurate? If so, would this be our most effective game plan not only for the draft but to rebuild this team?

645209[/snapback]

Marv, in one of those interviews discussing teams needs, said that we need OL help badly. He also mentioned that we are in dire need of safety help so I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got that SS Huff.

Why not trade the pick to move up and take Rothelburger, oops that was a

F-up from the past. Sorry......really trade back and take Winston he is a stud from the U.

646314[/snapback]

We could EASILY get him in the 2nd, methinks. His injury problems should scare all teams away from taking him in the first.

We could EASILY get him in the 2nd, methinks.  His injury problems should scare all teams away from taking him in the first.

646317[/snapback]

Hopefully the Bills are scared away from taking him PERIOD... we just dumped one big puss of a bust, don't need another.

Hopefully the Bills are scared away from taking him PERIOD... we just dumped one big puss of a bust, don't need another.

646362[/snapback]

Winston never really has been described as a lazy guy like Big Mike was, he just had an injury kill his season two years back. He seems to have come back very strong and determined, I wouldnt mind selecting him in the 2nd.

Winston never really has been described as a lazy guy like Big Mike was, he just had an injury kill his season two years back.  He seems to have come back very strong and determined, I wouldnt mind selecting him in the 2nd.

646373[/snapback]

ZERO mean streak, hence the puss comment... even after he gets a few years experience, he'll fold against a tough physical front... reminds me a little of Mike Pearson, another big puss that I'm glad didn't come here.... all JMO.

Is Hawk good enough to be a Ray Lewis or Urlacher?  If so, why pass on him.

Fletcher is a FA after this year.

645718[/snapback]

Agreed. If he's there, (although Green Bay look like they will take him at #5) this is the guy that I hope we end up getting.