Ash-holes that own pit bulls

Frez

I know their reputation.

The kids are luckier than hell. Apparantly, they were !@#$ing with it for a while before they pointed it out to somebody. Whoever somebody was didn't recognize it as a local, and called animal control - who showed up and turned sort of pale. Wasn't no baby, either. Maybe a five footer?

645072[/snapback]

I saw a snake on a walk in the canyon the other day. It was a baby but it was jet black with an orange stripe around it's head. I googled the description but got no hits. Any idea's on what kind of snake it was ?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a snake on a walk in the canyon the other day. It was a baby but it was jet black with an orange stripe around it's head. I googled the description but got no hits. Any idea's on what kind of snake it was ?

651087[/snapback]

Don't know... But, the ones with very bright colors are often venomous... Some non-venomous snakes do mimic venomous traits to confuse you into running away... ie: I think there is a non-venomous snake that looks very much a coral snake out there?

I forget the saying with a coral snake... Is it... "Red, Yellow, black get back Jack"... Or something like that...

Interesting.

Maybe we should have chows on "The Hill" overseeing the security of congressperson's comings and goings.

Then... We wouldn't have half the messes we have today!

:w00t:  :w00t:

650490[/snapback]

Heh... You know, ages before the invention of metal detectors, Chow Chows were the guard dog of monasteries and palaces throughout ancient China. In fact, those ancient Chinese guard statues of "lions" were more likely dogs and are frequently called Foo Dogs. While some believe they were Pekingese, most scholars believe they were closer representations of the Chow Chow. (Tell, me which would you find more intimidating: a Pekingese or a Chow Chow? (BTW, that last photo is a pastel portrait that I had commissioned of my last Chow, Mercedes. She was quite a specimen... and I'll miss her and her devote companionship until the day I die.)

Don't know... But, the ones with very bright colors are often venomous... Some non-venomous snakes do mimic venomous traits to confuse you into running away... ie: I think there is a non-venomous snake that looks very much a coral snake out there?

I forget the saying with a coral snake... Is it... "Red, Yellow, black get back Jack"... Or something like that...

651093[/snapback]

King scarlet snake is the non-venomous mimic of the coral, ended up killing one by accident while chopping wood on a seminole indian reservation...... The snake was under the loose bark and slithered out as the ax came down......I picked it up and was told it was not a coral snake..later on, my dog started messing with a fat 5 foot rattler, friggen place was an adventure, I was just there to listen to a concert, rock and blues....Wasn't snakes on a plane, it was snakes at a concert.......The old saying is ,red and yellow kill a fellow. red and black friend of jack

Your post is funny for two reasons. 1. Inferring that I want pit bulls banned because I was making parallels to the two arguments

You stated in your previous post "I might think that pitbulls shouldn't be allowed as pets at all". The very fact that you used it at all is the sign of a weak, emotion based argument.

and 2, b/c the article you linked to shows how common it is to let cats outside-regardless of how much it bothers people who like songbirds or hate cats. (For that matter, I suppose those who like disease-infecting rats probably hate cats being let outside as well.)

Regardless of how many people do it, it doesn't make it acceptable behavior. The last three communities I have lived in (three different states over 15 years) have all had laws against allowing free roaming cats. Common domestic house cats rarely tangle with adult rats, either. Nor would you want them too because they'd likely bring disease back to your family.

And again, I never claimed that cats should be let outside, I was saying that they are. And the harm within the risk of letting a cat out is that it might kill a vermit or a bird, or might get hit by a car or might run away. It is not that someone will kill it for their own amusement. Therefore, she wasn't asking for it or anything else when this happened. If the cat got hit by car, then you could be making that argument.

Regardless. Had the owner of the cat been responsible for it and left it in the house, this never happens. There are consequences to every action. For this particular cat, that consequence was death. Is it sad? Not to me. It's unfortunate that people like the owner of that dog are allowed to walk amongst us but that's not a decision I personally get to make.

Question: Did you edit your post to remove the previous dig you made at me or did a mod do it for you? I did read it earlier today and it was quite clear that you meant to show a bit more spunk. Just curious.

Question:  Did you edit your post to remove the previous dig you made at me or did a mod do it for you?  I did read it earlier today and it was quite clear that you meant to show a bit more spunk.  Just curious.

651279[/snapback]

I removed it myself. On further reflection I thought it was a little bit rude and unnecessary. I probably should have made sure to leave an edited by etc. thing there so it was not hidden that the post was different.

To me it is all in how the animals are raised....I have THREE dogs (2 german shepards and 1 akita) 1 shep is over 100 pounds but getting long in the tooth....my akita is approaching 100 pounds.....and the other shep was a puppy it seemed like 10 seconds ago and now looks like his going to be bigger then the older dogs.....

I also have 2 cats.....and ALL of my animals get along believe it or not....I actually have a cat that thinks he is a DOG...:w00t:

Good post. I have a long haired Shepard who's now around 108 pounds. For the first few months we had tons of problems with him, and it wasn't as if I was an uneducated owner, it was just that I was coddling him being a puppy and all. Eventually when I realized the dog thinks he's the Alpha I completely changed my approach. Now the dog is almost perfectly trained, and I even think he prefers the lesser role. What's scary is it's not just the abusive owners that create these problems, but the ones who buy aggressive breeds and can't put their foot down are pretty common also.

Good post and good points.

I have done a fair amount of research on this. I have an Alpha dog that is approximately 130 lbs. It is a Malamute mix. The Alpha role is stressful for a dog. They feel the burden of responsibility. Once you establish yourself as the Alpha, the dog will chill out immeasurably. It will feel no longer responsible for the safety and well-being of the "pack," which is how many breeds see things.

Good post and good points. 

I have done a fair amount of research on this.  I have an Alpha dog that is approximately 130 lbs.  It is a Malamute mix.    The Alpha role is stressful for a dog.  They feel the burden of responsibility.  Once you establish yourself as the Alpha, the dog will chill out immeasurably.  It will feel no longer responsible for the safety and well-being of the "pack," which is how many breeds see things.

651944[/snapback]

Yes, that's very true. I highly recommend that anyone interested in dog - and dog OWNER - behavior watch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic channel on Friday nights at 8:00 PM. Fascinating stuff!

Good post. I have a long haired Shepard who's now around 108 pounds.  For the first few months we had tons of problems with him, and it wasn't as if I was an uneducated owner, it was just that I was coddling him being a puppy and all. Eventually when I realized the dog thinks he's the Alpha I completely changed my approach. Now the dog is almost perfectly trained, and I even think he prefers the lesser role. What's scary is it's not just the abusive owners that create these problems, but the ones who buy aggressive breeds and can't put their foot down are pretty common also.

649834[/snapback]

I had a similar issue with mine, when they get around a year to a year and a half, they try to figure out there "pack rank". Dont get it fooled dogs are a pack animal they test you to see where they rank in the house. This is something that has to be corrected ASAP or the dog will be untrainable. A great site for training is www.leerburg.com.

651087[/snapback]

its a ring neck, they are harmless

They are passing a dangerous dog law here, that basically will prevent people from owning certain breeds.  Problem isn't the dogs, it's the owners.

645020[/snapback]

Exactly right...IT IS THE OWNERS...

Our neighbors have a pit bull and it is the gentlest, nicest dog in the neighborhood..< well next to mine that is >..

The owners walk the dog and treat it great.....

Exactly right...IT IS THE OWNERS...

Our neighbors have a pit bull and it is the gentlest, nicest dog in the neighborhood..< well next to mine that is >..

The owners walk the dog and treat it great.....

654649[/snapback]

I do understand and side with this argument.

Devil's advocate here... There will always be doubt about ANY animal, SOME more than others with VASTLY higher incidents of attacks.

Now... What to do about the "time-bombs" of nice dogs that go bad... How do defend an attack by the breeds of dogs that blow the statistics out of the water when it comes to the damages sustained by said attack?

Dog bites range from the "ankle biters" to the less innocuous... To the mauling deaths.

These breeds have proven when ANY of them attack... The attack is disasterous to the victim... With serious maiming and even death... Essentially blowing the "curve" when compared to your "standard" dog assualt...

Now... What do you do with that piece of information in regards to the breed and the confidence and safety of the public?

It is easier to correct and manage the breed than it is 6 million dog owners, their dog and the millions of others that come in contact with this breed.

Can it be deemed a public safety hazard?...

The doubt will always be there until these types of attacks and the severity of the attacks abate... The mauling that these dogs give far out wiegh any attacks of past villified breeds...

If they are gonna be "breed down"... It is gonna have to start with the dog owners... And that has already denegrated with some of the idiots that have these dogs... The breed is gonna have to make a quick 180.

IMO... I don't see it happening... The quality just isn't there. The idiots are pulling down this breed to an illegal status.

:(

What a killer :( Any animal trained poorly and especially known to be agressive in nature can act on its instincts and porus training, when properly trained they can be the sweetest animals. I've seen the absolute best in pits and the asbsolute worst and in every one I've seen it's usually because of the owner. The simple fact is know what you're getting before you get it, and have it properly trained. It's not the dogs that should be put down it's ignoramus breeders and owners. They're still animals and will act as such.

What a killer  :(   Any animal trained poorly and especially known to be agressive in nature  can act on its instincts and porus training, when properly trained they can be the sweetest animals.  I've seen the absolute best in pits and the asbsolute worst and in every one I've seen it's usually because of the owner.  The simple fact is know what you're getting before you get it, and have it properly trained.  It's not the dogs that should be put down it's ignoramus breeders and owners. They're still animals and will act as such.

656185[/snapback]

Yes... But, there will always be the doubt. Their maulings are so far off the normal curve that the only thing you can compare these animals too AT TIMES is to how a wild animal may act.

Something has to be done... Nothing isn't the answer with this breed.

The breed is already suffering.

I am being a realist and not a dreamer on this issue... A proactive approach has to be taken to save the breed and bring it back from the negative status that it has attained.