8th Overall PROBABLY not a DT or OT

Bills | Ngata may not fit team's defensive scheme; may look elsewhere

Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:04:50 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills will not be able to address their needs on either the offensive or defensive line with the eighth overall pick in the NFL Draft in April. Oregon DT Haloti Ngata does not look like a good fit for the new defensive system being adopted by Bills head coach Dick Jauron. Several scouts and personnel directors from around the league say Ngata is not a fit for the "Tampa Cover 2" style, because he is a 345-pound lineman whose strength is occupying two gaps on the line. Other observers feel the No. 8 overall pick is too early to draft the second best offensive tackle in the draft, USC OT Winston Justice. The Bills may need to turn their attention to the secondary or linebacker. Bills general manager Marv Levy would not comment specifically on Ngata or other defensive line prospects, but he acknowledged the nose tackle can't be solely a hole-plugger.

Hello Michael Huff.......

(or Vince Young) *runs away from mob*

I usually think it's sketchy when the paper has to mention that the team is NOT interested in a person @ a position of need. Might as well say they aren't interested in moving the pick if someone calls.

So what they are saying is basically nothing...

What's to say that the Bills are saying this as a smokescreen to GET Ngata???

My dream:  Vince Young is there, other teams pony up, Bills move down and REALLY cash in.

644722[/snapback]

Your dream is starting to sound more and more like a reality.

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills will not be able to address their needs on either the offensive or defensive line with the eighth overall pick in the NFL Draft in April. Oregon DT Haloti Ngata does not look like a good fit for the new defensive system being adopted by Bills head coach Dick Jauron. Several scouts and personnel directors from around the league say Ngata is not a fit for the "Tampa Cover 2" style, because he is a 345-pound lineman whose strength is occupying two gaps on the line. Other observers feel the No. 8 overall pick is too early to draft the second best offensive tackle in the draft, USC OT Winston Justice. The Bills may need to turn their attention to the secondary or linebacker. Bills general manager Marv Levy would not comment specifically on Ngata or other defensive line prospects, but he acknowledged the nose tackle can't be solely a hole-plugger.

644712[/snapback]

That is a load of crap. The Bengals were chastized for drafting Levi Jones with the 10th pick in 2002 and he has ended up being better than McKinnie and Fat Mike. If the guy grades well and he fills a need then we draft him. Do we wait until the 3rd round to get a tackle because that is where we get the most value.

Also, please stay away from Michael Huff or any Texas players for that matter. The number of Longhorn dissapointments are many.

OK you are going to pass two of your most glaring need to pick a luxury at 8 overall in the draft just because it doesn't fit into your playbook?

You don't pass up on a beast in Ngata just because he might not exactly fit into your scheme. Make an adjustment, maybe you think up something new that actually works!

644712[/snapback]

:doh:

644712[/snapback]

Isn't it astonishing how people quote KFFL summaries of Buffalo New articles that are already available on TBD as if they are news? This is not a criticism of the posters so much as a comment on how often KFFL seems to do nothing but summarize articles from other papers, and treat the speculative opinions of the newspaper writers as if they represent an opinion from the team. Am I the only one confused by this? :doh:

So what they are saying is basically nothing...

What's to say that the Bills are saying this as a smokescreen to GET Ngata???

My dream:  Vince Young is there, other teams pony up, Bills move down and REALLY cash in.

644722[/snapback]

I agree 100%. The #8 slot might really not place the Bills in a position to fill an immediate need, but the tradedown potential is huge.

Vince Young is a walking box office sensation. Any team who drafts him would see an instant increase in season ticket sales. If the Bills are sitting at #8 and Young is available, they could probably get way more than one might expect.

That is a load of crap. The Bengals were chastized for drafting Levi Jones with the 10th pick in 2002 and he has ended up being better than McKinnie and Fat Mike. If the guy grades well and he fills a need then we draft him. Do we wait until the 3rd round to get a tackle because that is where we get the most value.

Also, please stay away from Michael Huff or any Texas players for that matter. The number of Longhorn dissapointments are many.

644724[/snapback]

"Best available athelete" is esposed by every club, but in truth, that's a luxury affordable by already well-stocked clubs.

Getting spiffy energy-efficient windows means squat if your roof leaks or if your foundation is shifting. First things first.

I'm not on the Huff bandwagon, either. He seems to chase folks down, as opposed to anticipating and planting a shoulder. I might be wrong; I've not seen a lot of his play but what I've seen hasn't made me a fan.

644724[/snapback]

While I do not agree with the notion that "since the player went to Texas, he is automatically a bust" theory, I do NOT want the Bills to take Vince Young. First off, I'm not so sure he would be that succesful playing in the elements of Western New York in Dec and Jan, would his arm strength be an issue in the swirling winds at the Ralph? Id rather pass, Young might be great, but let another team find that out.

Bills have many needs, man if they can take that 8th pick, get a team to bite for Young, and get more picks to fill more needs, now we are talking.

Guest BackInDaDay
Guys, there really is more than 1 way to stop the run in a defensive scheme. It's not just BS from a bunch of coaches...

644729[/snapback]

Save your breath. Mob mentality rules.

Isn't it astonishing how people quote KFFL summaries of Buffalo New articles that are already available on TBD as if they are news? This is not a criticism of the posters so much as a comment on how often KFFL seems to do nothing but summarize articles from other papers, and treat the speculative opinions of the newspaper writers as if they represent an opinion from the team. Am I the only one confused by this? :unsure:

644734[/snapback]

:P I was thinking the same thing (and not a criticism either). At another level too are the breathless posts informing something like "BillsZone is reporting..." which is also nothing more than a summary of another article...

Actual BN article

I agree 100%. The #8 slot might really not place the Bills in a position to fill an immediate need, but the tradedown potential is huge.

Vince Young is a walking box office sensation. Any team who drafts him would see an instant increase in season ticket sales. If the Bills are sitting at #8 and Young is available, they could probably get way more than one might expect.

644744[/snapback]

This is my hope too - Young is there and someone not-too-far behind us is drooling for the guy. Would not Arizona, Cleveland or baltimore love to jump ahead of Detroit to draft Young - a box office bonanza and 'potential" franchise QB? at 10, 11, or 12 we could still get Ngata, Huff, Bunkley, or Davis any of whom would be great pickups plus we might snag a 2nd round pick for our troubles.

Dallas might want to move up too but I would want them to be merciless before letting Jones and co. get our pick. I would want their 1st, a 1st day pick and their 1st rounder next year minimum for us to drop from 8 to 18.

Guys, there really is more than 1 way to stop the run in a defensive scheme. It's not just BS from a bunch of coaches...

644729[/snapback]

OH...I think there is only one way to stop the run. Tackle the friggin runner! The question is where are you going to do it. The line of scrimmage would be nice. Ten yards down the field by your linebackers and safeties. I come from the school of thought that defensive tackles might be a nice way to stop the run.

This is my hope too - Young is there and someone not-too-far behind us is drooling for the guy. Would not Arizona, Cleveland or baltimore love to jump ahead of Detroit to draft Young - a box office bonanza and 'potential" franchise QB? at 10, 11, or 12 we could still get Ngata, Huff, Bunkley, or Davis any of whom would be great pickups plus we might snag a 2nd round pick for our troubles.

Dallas might want to move up too but I would want them to be merciless before letting Jones and co. get our pick. I would want their 1st, a 1st day pick and their 1st rounder next year minimum for us to drop from 8 to 18.

644755[/snapback]

I like the thought process here, jones has been known to "blow his load" if Dallas gets jumpy and makes a stupid move like that I hope the braintrust is smart enough to jump all over it. The question is who would we draft at 18, Eric Winston perhaps or a Max Jean Gilles.

What Ngata (or new lord and Saviour) may not be right for the defensive scheme Buffalo wants to run next year?????

Why don't we just change the scheme so the team revolves around him cause everyone on this board has a hard-on for him.

The Bills have MANY needs on this team so there are alot of positions Buffalo could draft at #8 and still fill a need.

The only positions I would not make a move for at #8 would be QB (already have 3, one will be the new starter) RB (already have Willis, only need a backup), WR (Have a bunch already, not a glaring need even if Moulds leaves) and any special teams player including kicker, punter or long snapper.

Drafting Huff or Davis would still be filling a need. From what I've read, they are probably the best at their positions and probably the best players available at that time (even before Ngata). Huff would fill the need for a safety, otherwise our answer right now is Coy Wire (last time I checked, no one here thought that was wise). Davis fills a need for a dominating starting TE. Everett could be good, but is coming off a serious injury and was a project from the last regime so Marv might not be too attached. Royal is a blocking TE and will primarily be used to help give us an extra guy on the oline and some for willis to run behind. Davis comes in as a passing TE and could be a dominant receiver to replace moulds too taking the pressure off of Evans as the #1 receiver.

Either way I would not complain about who buffalo gets at #8 as long as they are worthy of the #8 pick (by that I mean not a desperate reach) and NOT A FRIGGIN QB!!!!!! The Bills need guys that fit their system in order to be successful.

644712[/snapback]

In the end, if Ngata is there, I'm saying we'll take him.