Heading for Mongolia tomorrow

Really??  When I was a dishwasher I got all sorts of stuff.  As a dishwasher you can disappear more often than you can as a cook.  Bong hits and pony Millers in the store room.  My dad only caught us once.  Good times!

644986[/snapback]

Me and a friend made a career out of taking trash to the dumpster.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed God a sticky note to commence prayers today and cease them on April 10th. We've agreed to one extra day of prayer in the event your return flight gets delayed.

644585[/snapback]

Has God decided to tell you yet where your father is hiding out with his bananna truck?

Me and a friend made a career out of taking trash to the dumpster.

644990[/snapback]

It's amazing how many trips it took. Sunday brunch at my dad's after the rush was perfect. Two cooks, two waitresses and one dishwasher. We took turns. Damn dishwasher got toasted pulling double duty.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Mongolia last night.....

What I learned while I was in Mongolia:

Bring Q-Tips. The combination of wind and dirt is not a good combination.

The women (IMHO) are beatiful. Not all of them, but they have a unique beauty that really took me by suprise.

There is a great irony there. For a third world country the women dress impecablly. Every day I would drive through a district and see women walking out of the poorest conditions....pulling a cart with a barrel to get water at the local well, yet dressed like they just stepped off the cover of Vogue and talking on their cell phone.

If the people of Mongolia ever get their act together the city of Ulaan Baatar could become one of the greatest cities in the world. TONS of natural resources in Mongolia yet to be tapped into.

Traffic is the craziest I have ever exerienced in my life. Please...people of Boston and NYC, you don't have a clue what bad traffic is until you drive in UB.

If an earthquake ever strikes, it will be lights out. There isn't a single building in the captial city that would be left standing.

Keep your wallet at home. Pick pocketing is rampant there.

The people (excluding the picket pockets) are extremely gracious and friendly.

Having said that....they don't believe in lines. When you go to the bank,....it is first come first served and typically the first person served is the first person that can shove their way to the front .

No lines (part 2) This is the reason driving is so nutty there. I still have no idea why they actually paint lines on the road. No one abides by them.

Micro Bus rides are scary. Mini-Vans that seat 9, literally have up to 18 people jammed into them before they take off.

The women (IMHO) are beatiful. Not all of them, but they have a unique beauty that really took me by suprise.

China airlines recruit there for cabin crew. Surprising how tall and leggy many of them are.

Glad you're back safe, post pictures when you can.

Just got back from Mongolia last night.....

What I learned while I was in Mongolia:

Bring Q-Tips.  The combination of wind and dirt is not a good combination.

The women (IMHO) are beatiful.  Not all of them, but they have a unique beauty that really took me by suprise. 

There is a great irony there.  For a third world country the women dress impecablly.  Every day I would drive through a district and see women walking out of the poorest conditions....pulling a cart with a barrel to get water at the local well,  yet dressed like they just stepped off the cover of Vogue and talking on their cell phone.

If the people of Mongolia ever get their act together the city of Ulaan Baatar could become one of the greatest cities in the world.  TONS of natural resources in Mongolia yet to be tapped into. 

Traffic is the craziest I have ever exerienced in my life.  Please...people of Boston and NYC, you don't have a clue what bad traffic is until you drive in UB.

If an earthquake ever strikes, it will be lights out.  There isn't a single building in the captial city that would be left standing.

Keep your wallet at home.  Pick pocketing is rampant there. 

The people (excluding the picket pockets) are extremely gracious and friendly.

Having said that....they don't believe in lines.  When you go to the bank,....it is first come first served and typically the first person served is the first person that can shove their way to the front .

No lines (part 2)  This is the reason driving is so nutty there.  I still have no idea why they actually paint lines on the road.  No one abides by them.

Micro Bus rides are scary.  Mini-Vans that seat 9, literally have up to 18 people jammed into them before they take off.

657576[/snapback]

Did you see any roaming hordes of angry horsemen burning villages to the ground?

So, and like LA I'm not trying to be beligerent, but how are you helping them? By building a church?

657763[/snapback]

I was thinking the same. What do people actually _do_ on these trips?

I was thinking the same.  What do people actually _do_ on these trips?

658239[/snapback]

Even if all they did (I don't mean that in a pejorative way) was build a church, isn't that a tremendous contribution for those who worship?

one more thing i learned about traveling to the other side of the planet.

jet lag is brutal.

As it turned out we were unable to assist in the building the church because the ground was still frozen. They are targeting a date in early June to do what we hoped to be there to help with the last two weeks.

If I were to use the term, "....we went there to help" it would have meant we were there to help the missionaries that are there right now. how would we be "helping" them? Just by being there. American missionaries get very discouraged by being in a foreign land and not having other Americans to communicate with. Especially a place as desolate as Mongolia. Having a visit from someone you know, is (and was) a bigger help to them than if we had gone there to just assist in putting up a building. There are other English speaking people there, but very few.

I tried to load some pictures earlier today but it is going to take a while. I have no idea how to do it and in trying to do it I have some how managed to lock up my HP Photo(not so) Smart printer with the memory stick inside of it.

Things we did while there:

Visited a Missionary that works with both men's and women's prisons.

We went to the Gobi desert where a Missionary has both an Orphanage and a Hospital.

I personally had the opportunity to preach at two churches in Ulaan Baatar, the mens prison and a small gathering of women that meet for an English class.

And we met with another church and an archichtect about the building plans for the church we went there to help build.

An interesting fact about Mongolia. It has a population of approx. 3 Million people. Half of which live in the capital city of Ulaan Baatar.

This year Mongolia is celebrating its 800th Anniversary as a nation.