Heading for Mongolia tomorrow

Cool good luck. Why not go to the Appalachians or the Bronx and help Americans ?

644580[/snapback]

funny you would say that....we were scheduled for a trip to Appalacia three years ago but we just couldn't get our communications straight with the man that works a mission in "Looney Tunes", West Virginia.

So...instead, we went to NYC. That trip covered the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Jersey City.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a missionary to Mongolia a few months ago at my church in Lancaster. That's a strange place to go. It's looks like a really unique experience. 

Is the Chapel going to be a traditional wood/concrete building like in the US or is it going to be one of the Gers (or Yurts) that they typically construct over there?

644614[/snapback]

They built a Ger last year for the church that was started. This will be a chapel to replace the Ger. That Ger that was built will be moved to a new yet unknown town. for a new church.

Kind of a cool thing about Mongolia. "Have Ger...Will Travel"

Do you remember who the missionary was?

Take the movie: "Destination Gobi"

644599[/snapback]

If all goes as planned we will be in the Gobi for three days. (Or Govi as it is pronounced and spelled there).

Can take the image of your avatar instead?

(God...forgive me!!)

Best of luck to you OnTheRocks....man that is a long flight in store for you...(took a flight to the Philippines and man was that long!)

Be safe and God be with you.

Also, if the food is as good as the Mongolian food at the Chinese buffet here close by, you are in for a treat!

funny you would say that....we were scheduled for a trip to Appalacia three years ago but we just couldn't get our communications straight with the man that works a mission in "Looney Tunes", West Virginia.

So...instead, we went to NYC.  That trip covered the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Jersey City.

644637[/snapback]

Most cool !

Leading a group from church on a Mission Trip.  Main goal will be to assist a missionary there (who used to be the pastor of our church here in Roch.) build a Chapel in Bianhoshoo.  A small town outside of Ulaan Baatar.

Your prayers for safety will be acepted until I return on April 9.

Where is Mongolia?

644509[/snapback]

It's a pretty nice place, regarding personal risk according to the US State Dept.:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_973.html

You have my prayers and my admiration for the good works.

They built a Ger last year for the church that was started.  This will be a chapel to replace the Ger.  That Ger that was built will be moved to a new yet unknown town.  for a new church.

Kind of a cool thing about Mongolia.  "Have Ger...Will Travel"

Do you remember who the missionary was?

644644[/snapback]

Can't remember his name for the life of me. I bet I'd remember it if I heard it. I remember he was an older fellow. He had a great story about losing his temper in traffic on one of the Mongolian streets. Drivers there are pretty bad I guess.

Come to think of it, I think he was from the Rochester area.

Be safe. I have two co-workers (husband and wife) going to Rowanda this fall to do the same thing. Personally I think they're nuts, I mean don't the cut off peoples heads there and display them on sticks? Here's my question, do most people to this in a selfish way, to make themselves feel better and to get them in heaven? Just wondering.......

Here's my question, do most people to this in a selfish way, to make themselves feel better and to get them in heaven?  Just wondering.......

644773[/snapback]

No. They read the words of Jesus and try to follow that and help others, often at personal risk and horrible demise.

It's not something generally calculated beforehand for personal gain or aggrandziment.

....  Here's my question, do most people to this in a selfish way, to make themselves feel better and to get them in heaven?  Just wondering.......

644773[/snapback]

Not necessarily. Most missionaries I've known and talked to take Mark 16:15 very seriously (as Christians should) which says "...Go yet into all the world an preach the gospel." They are lead to go to these places to do just that. Many of the foreign missionaries I know most definitely don't like the idea of going so far from family and friends, but go anyway. They often risk their lives for the sake of the people they are trying to help.

EDIT

It has no bearing on their souls and getting to heaven. They do it because Christ commanded it.

Most missionaries I've known and talked to take Mark 16:15 very seriously

644804[/snapback]

Oddly enough, most heathens I know take Mark V:I very seriously, which says "Go yet into all the world and fire up a Partagas and wash it back with Genny Cream Ale and Cuervo shooter, and say unto the masses that this is good and righteous and maketh all well in the world." :unsure:

Can't remember his name for the life of me. I bet I'd remember it if I heard it. I remember he was an older fellow. He had a great story about losing his temper in traffic on one of the Mongolian streets. Drivers there are pretty bad I guess.

Come to think of it, I think he was from the Rochester area.

644763[/snapback]

Marty White?

If so,...he is the character I am going to visit. When he came home for a break last year, he told me he did that to someone.

:unsure:

Oddly enough, most heathens I know take Mark V:I very seriously, which says "Go yet into all the world and fire up a Partagas and wash it back with Genny Cream Ale and Cuervo shooter, and say unto the masses that this is good and righteous and maketh all well in the world." :unsure:

644826[/snapback]

:P That Mark is one hell of an evangelist.

Be safe.  I have two co-workers (husband and wife) going to Rowanda this fall to do the same thing.  Personally I think they're nuts, I mean don't the cut off peoples heads there and display them on sticks?  Here's my question, do most people to this in a selfish way, to make themselves feel better and to get them in heaven?  Just wondering.......

644773[/snapback]

for me it is a Bible thing. nothing to do with religion or denomination.

Romans 10:14

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"

for me it is a Bible thing.  nothing to do with religion or denomination.

Romans 10:14

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"

644840[/snapback]

This will definitely come out wrong, and I apologize in advance if my condescending bluntness delivers this post wrong, but, well, they're poor and hungry and sick and destitute and for all intents and purposes, if these people really need God's help, wouldn't he have done it by now? Does he really wait for them to know he exists? Or pray to him? Does God kinda sit up there, looking at these people in need and think "Okay, folks, I can help you, but I need to hear the magic words, okay, people? Someone throw me a frickin' bone here."

I kid a little bit, but my question is still valid. I'm not challenging. I'm just curious.