the going rate for a good receiver drafted in 1996

terry glenn just got a redone deal: 4 year, 20 million deal and 8.5 million in bonuses. he has not been as consistently productive as moulds in his career.

i'm not saying that moulds deserves it or not, just that there's pretty much no way at this point for the bills to face cap problems if they keep him around. they haven't been able to land any decent free agents, so it's not as if they've been ponying up dough elsewhere.

in other news, john fox just got a new deal -- 5 years, $25 million. people do realize that we're paying our coach (and all of our recent coaches) a figure that's way south of that, right?

maybe, just maybe, the bills have morphed into a cheap organization across the board.

what an amazing crop in 1996. moulds stacks up pretty well in comparison too.

644036[/snapback]

I agree. I've thought for years that '96 was possibly the best WR draft year of all time. It's a shame for Moulds that he didn't have the consistency of QB/System/Coaching staff...who knows, this could have cost him a place in the HOF. It will be a sad day when he goes but.......doesn't Evans look good :P

i'm not saying that moulds deserves it or not, just that there's pretty much no way at this point for the bills to face cap problems if they keep him around. they haven't been able to land any decent free agents, so it's not as if they've been ponying up dough elsewhere.

maybe, just maybe, the bills have morphed into a cheap organization across the board.

644028[/snapback]

There is the NFL salary cap, and then there appears to be the Ralph Wilson salary cap...never shall the twain meet?

644028[/snapback]

Again, I think that ousting Moulds does more for us in 07 than this season. He has a huge cap figure built into 07, including pro-rated bonus dollars that will all be purged with one fell swoop. Getting rid of Williams already freed up untold millions in 07. I have a feeling that there will be many happy fans on TSW when clumpy releases his 07 cap igures!

Lack of free agents? I agree that there has been a lack of prominent free agent signings, but to give credit when due, it was excellent work by TD to re-sign MaGee and Schobel.

The Bills are a team in transition, and that's OK if Marv and co. strengthen the team where it counts.....up front.

Again, I think that ousting Moulds does more for us in 07 than this season. He has a huge cap figure built into 07, including pro-rated bonus dollars that will all be purged with one fell swoop. Getting rid of Williams already freed up untold millions in 07. I have a feeling that there will be many happy fans on TSW when clumpy releases his 07 cap igures!

644132[/snapback]

Very good point. That along with yet another increase in the cap could position the Bills very well in '07 to make a strong showing in free agency. That, along with another top-10 pick should help the rebuilding process. :P

Lack of free agents? I agree that there has been a lack of prominent free agent signings, but to give credit when due, it was excellent work by TD to re-sign MaGee and Schobel.

644132[/snapback]

And don't forget about Crowell -- TD's last move.

Very good point. That along with yet another increase in the cap could position the Bills very well in '07 to make a strong showing in free agency. That, along with another top-10 pick should help the rebuilding process. :P

And don't forget about Crowell -- TD's last move.

644137[/snapback]

You and I are on the same page here. Next month, the Bills will have every opportunity to draft players such as Joseph, Setterstrom, Trueblood, and other kids who might be able to block. If they can, they will obviously have a full year of experience when 07 rolls around, and the Bills will be sitting there with a young foundation, a ton of cap space and yes; another probable early draft slot.

Hopefully by then we will also have a clue wrt the quarterback position.

Did Glenn get one with New England?

644216[/snapback]

He was on the team that beat the Rams.

I think he was suspended, or injured for a majority of that season though.

So I don't know if he technically got a ring.

The Bills are a team in transition, and that's OK if Marv and co. strengthen the team where it counts.....up front.

644132[/snapback]

i see your point, but how are we talking about 07 in march 06? that's depressing - the sort of thing that arizona cardinals fans (presuming they exist) do.

i see your point, but how are we talking about 07 in march 06? that's depressing - the sort of thing that arizona cardinals fans (presuming they exist) do.

644464[/snapback]

And I see yours, but look at the Vikes. They were able to put together a ton of cap space and land Hutch. An OG like Hutchinson (assuming he was to stay healthy) would have won a game or 2 for the Bills. He would have opened holes for Willis because he is able to do so.

TD seemed to take an approach where he wanted to always field a competetive team, rather than make a run in a specific season (the Butler approach). The thing is, TD filled our lines with bad players, and dumped Bledsoe for a quarterback who is far, far worse than Drew on his worst day. Add a draft choice such as Parrish and an injured TKO to the mix and you have the recipe for the 05 Bills disaster. :doh:

I was less than thrilled when Marv was hired, but he is showing (imo) a surprising amount of patience for a man of his age. If he dumps/trades Moulds, I will be of the opinion that he is looking at the long term well being of our beloved franchise (as well he should).

In the meantime, I cannot wait for the friggin draft!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!