A must question for music lovers everywhere.

Woah, you got that right, Beerbong.

639932[/snapback]

I watched Titanic once, as I was curious about the accuracy of the ship and the trim that supposedly got put into the movie. I have to admit from that respect they did a pretty fine job.

What's the "Hym to the Sea" song? Is it that Celine Dione piece of crap?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago I was diagnosed with a large malignant brain tumor. My son quit his job, came down and helped during a crazy three day period where I almost died and there was emergency surgery. The tumor turned out to be an abcess...long recovery and some blindness, but other than that I'm ok. A few months ago we were driving in his truck and he played a song by Tim McGraw whose father had just died of brain cancer. The song was "Live like you were dying" or something like that. We both choked up.

what a couple of wuss'....... :):ph34r:

That sounds like a pretty harrowing experience and I am glad things got better! Sounds like a very nice son you have there!

Two years ago I was diagnosed with a large malignant brain tumor.  My son quit his job, came down and helped during a crazy three day period where I almost died and there was emergency surgery.  The tumor turned out to be an abcess...long recovery and some blindness, but other than that I'm ok.  A few months ago we were driving in his truck and he played a song by Tim McGraw whose father had just died of brain cancer.  The song was "Live like you were dying" or something like that.  We both choked up.

639962[/snapback]

I was driving and let my wife listen to her radio station. That song There You'll Be by Faith Hill from the Pearl Harbor soundtrack came on. I don't know what the hell hit me, but I teared up a little bit. Just couldn't help it. So that's my wuss story. I teared up a little bit during American Inventor last week too, so maybe there's something mentally wrong with me.

Have you ever teared up/choked up during a song?

Well for me, yes.  But there only one song that does that and it's from the movie "Titanic".  "Hymn to the sea", such a sad and moving song. :doh::huh:  :(

639663[/snapback]

I can proudly admit I've teared up plenty of times. Immediately after 9/11 I heard some rendition of "God Bless America" that gave me goosebumps and found myself tearing up.

I also teared up to Neal Young's "After the Gold Rush" when watching Shallow Hal but think it had more to do with the scene than the song. Those are the one's that come to my mind immediately but am sure there are plenty more.

Only one, and it's because of what the song says, when it came out and what it meant to the father of these 2 girls. The song was released in the middle of all these happenings and to this day, and just can't help but think the father will not experience what the song says.

The song is "Butterfly Kisses" and this is what was occurring locally when that was released:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/200...04212001/264062

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/case/lisk47.htm

I was only about 10 or 11 at the time, but it was the first time anyone I had ever known had died...up to that point, all my relatives were still alive, or had died before I ever knew them.

639710[/snapback]

My mother died shortly before "Seasons in the Sun" came out. Like you, I was about 11. I don't blubber over that song anymore, but when it does seem to randomly play in the background, I tend to lose my concentration and focus.

The never-fails-to-make-my-eyes-water song, though, is "You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel. It's a painful song to begin with, but theaterically it gets elevated (if done properly) when the chorus joins Nettie as she sings it to Julie Jordon right after Billy Bigelow kills himself. One of the most sad, yet uplifting songs I've ever heard on stage...or elsewhere.

When you walk through a storm

Hold your chin up high

And don't be afraid of the dark.

At the end of a storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet, silver song of a lark.

Walk on, through the wind,

Walk on, through the rain,

Though your dreams be tossed and blown.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,

And you'll never walk alone,

You'll never walk alone.

Anything by John Cage.

(And you thought Carl Orff found an easy way to make a living!)

640278[/snapback]

Throw Phillip Glass into that pot while you're cooking. :doh:

I sobbed uncontrollably through the first chord of the St. Burchardi church performance of As Slow As Possible.

639920[/snapback]

"The actual performance commenced in the St. Burchardi church on September 5, 2001 with a pause lasting until February 5, 2003. The first chord was played from then until July 5, 2005. Currently the organ is playing a three-note chord..."

:doh: What tempo would that be? Gravississississimo?

"The actual performance commenced in the St. Burchardi church on September 5, 2001 with a pause lasting until February 5, 2003. The first chord was played from then until July 5, 2005. Currently the organ is playing a three-note chord..."

:doh:  What tempo would that be?  Gravississississimo?

640411[/snapback]

John Cage's Silence or 4′33″ was impressive too. He has a legal copyright on silence now.