To all who say 7 games isn't enough to judge JP

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which makes me wonder what happened with Kelly? Maybe in retrospect, we should have contiuned to play todd collins longer? Or Reich for 2 years and groomed a good replacement. It seems that our fortunes took a turn because we were not able to plug in our own Steve Young.

637487[/snapback]

Agreed....We didn't get the right QB to groom behind Kelly....

Also, TD made the mistake of RJ over Flutie....He could have kept Flutie for

the next 2-3 years and then picked a QB in FA or in the draft and groom him

to be the successor. Asking RJ to learn a entirely new offense (WC by

Shepperd) was just going to be too much.....Also, he might not have hade to

shell out 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder in search of his QB for the next

4 years....Heck...we might have even made the playoffs once during that

regime.

It is?

Does anyone who actually knows anything about evaluating a QB look for this?  :P

637542[/snapback]

Apparently JDG and VA are experts.... :P

Jeez louise, why are debating this when camp is still months away!

The Bills current management has no ties to any player brought in by Donahoe.  Therefore, no matter where TD drafted him, if Marv/Jauron don't think a guy can play-he's gone.  Marv cut Parella, a 2nd round pick after 1 season & 1 camp to keep undrafted Ed Philion (bad mistake but...), he's not afraid of bad PR for cutting a Donahoe pick.

636696[/snapback]

Correct me if I am wrong, but was Parella let go because of $ (was there a cap then?)...I could be wrong, just wondering...

Players are cut in training camp every year with a lot less opportunities than JP has already received in 2+ years in Buffalo.  Does that mean that every guy cut is a mistake?  JP has been here long enough for Dick Jauron & Marv Levy to at least be able to form some kind of opinion on him from film, talking with him & talking with his teammates.  If after pre season ends & Jauron decides he's seen enough to let JP go, nobody should be saying he didn't get a fair shot.  27 players will get cut, many of them with a lot less data than the Bills have on JP. 

I hope it doesn't come to this, but if JP is cut, and Jauron & Marv agree, it won't be because of an evaluation that was too abrupt.  Sometimes, it's easy to spot a bust.  If JP is cut, I can guarantee that he'll never be a quality starter in the NFL.

636669[/snapback]

Harv, is this a serious post...or did you hit happy hour early yesterday?

Me neither.  Funny thing is they're the same people who now say TD was the worst GM ever.  Maybe they're just optimists.  Maybe they want to be able to say "we got the best of Dallas/Parcells in that trade".  I really don't know what it is, but I don't understand it.  Based on the track record of the GM finding QB's and the performance of JP last year, I don't see much to be optimistic about.  Of course he's young and all that and I didn't expect him to be a superstar, but he really could not have played much worse.  Lee Evans made a couple plays for him vs. Miami & KC and it was just very very ugly outside of that.  I mean I thought Carolina was one of his better games and was happy to see him show some poise on a couple 4th down plays but we still could not even get the ball in the endzone that game.

637331[/snapback]

I find this JP compassion on both sides to be funny. And I liken it to how we fans in general behave and form various factions.

There is always going to be a contingeny of fans who back every single decision that the front office makes. I remember living in DC several years ago -- and there were a number of fans that swore by Heath Shuler, even though he had never really done much of anything on the field. Then, after he left for New Orleans, these same fans said that the Redskins had no choice but to trade him because he never did anything on the field...

Then there is the next contingency of fans. We all know them... They are the contrarians that are NEVER happy with anything that the team does. ("Jim Kelly sucks!") Sometimes you question whether or not the person is really even a fan at all.

Then there's the rest of us that just wants the team to be the best that they can be. Sometimes we agree with the decisions made by the front office -- sometimes we do not. I'm personally ambivalent about the JP situation because I do not think he's done enough to garner the kind of blind loyalty that some fans are heaping upon him. At the same time, I have not seen enough of him to say that he is a bust either. To say that he missed most of his rookie season with a broken leg -- and was the victim of horrendous coaching and a lousy offensive line last year is not an attempt to make excuses for him. Thus, if it were up to me, I'd like to see one more year out of him, where he is at least given a halfway decent chance to succeed. With that said, I am not privvy to what goes on in the locker room to see how other players feel about him -- nor do I know how much command he has in the huddle. If Marv honestly feels that the kid does not have the "it" factor and suspects that he never will, then I am inclined to agree with their decision to move on without him, if that is what they choose to do.

Correct me if I am wrong, but was Parella let go because of $ (was there a cap then?)...I could be wrong, just wondering...

637575[/snapback]

No, Parella was a total head case when he was here. He got second thoughts about playing football and just walked out of camp.

Harv, is this a serious post...or did you hit happy hour early yesterday?

637637[/snapback]

I have a drink about once every few years and I already hit my quota on Petrino's last day working in Albany, so yes I'm serious. I believe that Jauron & Marv will treat JP no differently than Holcomb, or even Woodbury. The only QB on their roster that they have chosen is Craig Nall. As a result, if JP doesn't wow them in camp, they will cut him. If or when they do cut him, this board is going to go nuts that he wasn't given a chance. I'm saying if they do cut him, they will have done so with enough data that they will be proven correct. If he wows them, then he starts and its a moot point. But if I had to predict how it will end, my guess is Marv/Jauron have seen enough to be very skeptical that JP will ever make it and are prepared to cut him if he doesn't win the starting job, which I think will be tough for him to earn.

On Parrella: he walked out his rookie year, came back & spent the season with the Bills. He was cut not because he was a head case, but because he was not suited to play nose tackle in the Walt Corey 3-4 defense.

I believe that Jauron & Marv will treat JP no differently than Holcomb, or even Woodbury.

Other than the Woodbury reference, I agree. I don't think either JP or KH is in danger of being cut in training camp. If they suck they will be, but neither of them suck. There's a reason they are where they are and Woodbury is where he is. It's neither arbirtary nor a crap-shoot.. Woodbury will have to do a lot more than either of those QBs to stick around.

The only QB on their roster that they have chosen is Craig Nall.  As a result, if JP doesn't wow them in camp, they will cut him.  If or when they do cut him, this board is going to go nuts that he wasn't given a chance.  I'm saying if they do cut him, they will have done so with enough data that they will be proven correct.  If he wows them, then he starts and its a moot point.  But if I had to predict how it will end, my guess is Marv/Jauron have seen enough to be very skeptical that JP will ever make it and are prepared to cut him if he doesn't win the starting job, which I think will be tough for him to earn.

Nalls pretty much will get treated somewhere between JP/KH and TW, IMO. They liked him enough to bring him in...but they've seen LESS of him than either JP or KH. Let's face it...there is very little film on this dude. He'll probably stick around as #2 or #3, though...unless he sucks. And, like all the rest, if he SUCKS, he'll be gone. To think JP will get cut in camp is pretty far-fetched, IMO...but it's possible. However, it will have NOTHING to do with the fact that Marv and Dick didn't bring him here.

Other than the Woodbury reference, I agree.  I don't think either JP or KH is in danger of being cut in training camp.  If they suck they will be, but neither of them suck.  There's a reason they are where they are and Woodbury is where he is.  It's neither arbirtary nor a crap-shoot.. Woodbury will have to do a lot more than either of those QBs to stick around.

Nalls pretty much will get treated somewhere between JP/KH and TW, IMO.  They liked him enough to bring him in...but they've seen LESS of him than either JP or KH.  Let's face it...there is very little film on this dude.  He'll probably stick around as #2 or #3, though...unless he sucks.  And, like all the rest, if he SUCKS, he'll be gone.  To think JP will get cut in camp is pretty far-fetched, IMO...but it's possible.  However, it will have NOTHING to do with the fact that Marv and Dick didn't bring him here.

638055[/snapback]

Quit talking sense. You ruin the mood.

What is the logic of cutting JP at any time this year?

I took a look at Clump's 2006 cap page and it seems to me that we lose out big time cap wise by cutting him.

If we cut him he only counts $2,389,000 against our cap this year which, if the Bills decided, they could afford. However the Bills have already paid out his signing bonus and all he is due to receive this year is $448,750($385,000 base pay and $63,750 in other bonuses).

The only thing we stand to gain this year by cutting JP is $708,250 in cap space saved for next year.

What is the logic of cutting JP at any time this year?

I took a look at Clump's 2006 cap page and it seems to me that we lose out big time cap wise by cutting him.

If we cut him he only counts $2,389,000 against our cap this year which, if the Bills decided, they could afford. However the Bills have already paid out his signing bonus and all he is due to receive this year is $448,750($385,000 base pay and $63,750 in other bonuses).

The only thing we stand to gain this year by cutting JP is $708,250 in cap space saved for next year.

638089[/snapback]

No chance we cut him. Bad football move, bad money move, and bad PR move. It just isn't happening. Whether he wins the starting role and gets 16 starts or not is the real question for the team, and I really hope he does.