Marv Levy - The most OVERRATED Hall of Fame

I read the other thread that was posted about Marv ruining his legacy and just had to post this!

Levy had a miserable losing record as Coach of the Chiefs and was fired by Lamar Hunt because he couldn't turn the team around. Enter the Bills with Gm Bill Polian at the helm, Polian and Levy had ties going back to the old USFL days with the Chicago Blitz and Polian decided to hire Levy because he wanted a smart coach (not necesarily a good Coach) that could steer the ship without screwing it up. The Bills team that Levy Coached was so good that my next door neighbor (a mailman) could Coach the team. Levy was just in the right place at the right time and was fortunate that the team was soo good that he made the "Hall" because of the teams accomplishments. Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time. A smart one at that. But in the Big game (aka Super Bowl) his ability as a Coach was unmasked. If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony, then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

I'm speechless.........Jimmy Johnson had Emmitt, Troy, Irvin, and a sick D, Gibbs had the Hogs up front and a sick D, then there's that guy who sucked in Cleveland and then went to New England with some guy named Brady.....good coaches need good players and vise versa......nevermind the testimony of all Marv's former players who credit him to no end.....I don't get the Marv bashing

I read the other thread that was posted about Marv ruining his legacy and just had to post this!

Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time

when exactly is the RIGHT time to step in a pile of sh*%??

nevermind the testimony of all Marv's former players who credit him to no end.....I don't get the Marv bashing

634825[/snapback]

Can you imagine if Jim Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and company actually called Marv out for going easy on them in camp and allowing them to party themselves sick during Super Bowl week? They loved Marv because he let them run their own asylum. Them blaming Marv would be like a talented but lazy boxer blaming his trainer for him being out of shape and not being able to go 12 rounds with his equal.

I'm speechless.........Jimmy Johnson had Emmitt, Troy, Irvin, and a sick D, Gibbs had the Hogs up front and a sick D, then there's that guy who sucked in Cleveland and then went to New England with some guy named Brady.....good coaches need good players and vise versa......nevermind the testimony of all Marv's former players who credit him to no end.....I don't get the Marv bashing

634825[/snapback]

And the Bills team wasn't stacked???

Sure the Players will credit Levy because he was their Coach.

Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time

when exactly is the RIGHT time to step in a pile of sh*%??

634830[/snapback]

When your Mother-In Law comes over for a visit! :devil:

When you compare the Bills roster in the 1990's to the top teams since then, it's hard not to agree that almost any coach could have succeeded with those teams. Where I fault Marv is in failing 4 times to get over the hurdle, learn from his mistakes and take a different approach into the next SB game. We always seemed so tight and I think it was a reflection of Marv.

If Marv is the most over rated hall of fame coach, Polian is the most overated GM.

Marv took the team to 4 straight SB' (but lost all four) so he had to be doing something right cause the teams weren't exactly the same every year, and the teams they faced weren't the same every year.

Also the head coach position is not to decide everything that goes on during the game, it is to be the guy that oversees the play on the field, Thats why they have co-ordinators and assistant coaches. Thats also why head coaches also get to oversee who becomes assistant coaches and co-ordinators. The co-ordinators are usually in charge of play calling, and the head coach is there to oversee whats being called. The head coach also has to be the motivator who gets his team on the field ready to play.

Marv was great at getting the team ready to play, he was a motivator, not an X's and O's kind of guy. Would he have been a HOF co-ordinator? Probably not, but as a Motivating head Coach, very few coaches can match him.

Was Marv the greatest coach in history, no. Was he the best Bills coach, yes.

As for Polian, what has he done that makes him so special, he put together teams that lost 4 straight SB's and since losing his overrated HOF coach he has not been able to even make the big game, even with one of the best QB's in the league today and a team that almost went undefeated. But lets hype him up cause he is so underrated and marv is Overrated.

As for Polian, what has he done that makes him so special, he put together teams that lost 4 straight SB's and since losing his overrated HOF coach he has not been able to even make the big game, even with one of the best QB's in the league today and a team that almost went undefeated. But lets hype him up cause he is so underrated and marv is Overrated.

634927[/snapback]

Absolutely a candidate for post of the year.

Polian has got to be one of the luckiest people in the NFL - ever.

Spot on.

If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony, then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

What games are you reffering to that these three coaches were outcoached in? :lol:

What games are you reffering to that these three coaches were outcoached in?  :lol:

634936[/snapback]

If I had to guess... Super Bowl XXXI (Mike Holmgren's Packers over Parcells' Patriots), Super Bowl XVIII (Tom Flores' Raiduhs kicking the snot out of Gibbs' Redskins). JJ? Probably the two divisional playoff games with the Fish -- 38-3 to the Broncos, and the 62-7 beatdown by the Jags.

If I had to guess... Super Bowl XXXI (Mike Holmgren's Packers over Parcells' Patriots), Super Bowl XVIII (Tom Flores' Raiduhs kicking the snot out of Gibbs' Redskins). JJ? Probably the two divisional playoff games with the Fish -- 38-3 to the Broncos, and the 62-7 beatdown by the Jags.

634941[/snapback]

Sounds about right

Levy had a miserable losing record as Coach of the Chiefs and was fired by Lamar Hunt because he couldn't turn the team around.  Enter the Bills with Gm Bill Polian at the helm, Polian and Levy had ties going back to the old USFL days with the Chicago Blitz and Polian decided to hire Levy because he wanted a smart coach (not necesarily a good Coach) that could steer the ship without screwing it up.  The Bills team that Levy Coached was so good that my next door neighbor (a mailman) could Coach the team.  Levy was just in the right place at the right time and was fortunate that the team was soo good that he made the "Hall" because of the teams accomplishments.  Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time.  A smart one at that.  But in the Big game (aka Super Bowl) his ability as a Coach was unmasked.  If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony,  then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

634823[/snapback]

No, four super bowls in a row is pretty good.

Levy had a miserable losing record as Coach of the Chiefs and was fired by Lamar Hunt because he couldn't turn the team around.  Enter the Bills with Gm Bill Polian at the helm, Polian and Levy had ties going back to the old USFL days with the Chicago Blitz and Polian decided to hire Levy because he wanted a smart coach (not necesarily a good Coach) that could steer the ship without screwing it up.  The Bills team that Levy Coached was so good that my next door neighbor (a mailman) could Coach the team.  Levy was just in the right place at the right time and was fortunate that the team was soo good that he made the "Hall" because of the teams accomplishments.  Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time.  A smart one at that.  But in the Big game (aka Super Bowl) his ability as a Coach was unmasked.  If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony,  then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

634823[/snapback]

Your really off base and so is this whole thread. What is over rated? Under rated? Properly rated?? Rated by whom?

Marv is an excellent football coach which is what he has always wanted to be. Are you excellent at what you do? If so, have your peers recognized it? Your talking about a special person in Marv.

Football is not about titles and rings, it's about achievement and accomplishment and loyalty and honor. I doubt you know about these things. Marv is great, not because he is in the HOF ... it is because he is still growing and pursuing new challenges even though he IS in the HOF.

If you can ever understand this, then you will benefit from it.

Remember this my friend ... when you step in a pile of sh@%, all you get is a dirty shoe.

634823[/snapback]

Great post. Marv got outhussled and out strategized in the four Super Bowls. He was a terrible motivator, something that is necessary.

But you are right. He coasted on top talent that Polian handed to him and that he had little hand in assembling. If he were as good as many think, he would have had better records in his last seasons as Bills coach and in KC.

634823[/snapback]

Brilliant! And you forgot to mention that Marv is also responsible for Norwood's screwed-up kick.

If Marv is the most over rated hall of fame coach, Polian is the most overated GM.

634927[/snapback]

Its my opinion that Levy and Polian belong in the HOF, But more so in Polian's case.

"What has he done that makes him so special" is this an early April fools joke??!!!??!!???Someone else said he's lucky. With Buffalo Polian AND Levy had 5 Divisional titles,5 AFC Championship appearances,4 SB appearances while assembling talent like High draftees(Thurmanator, Jim Kelly, Phil Hansen, Shane Conlan, Bruce Smith) and other finds (Kenneth Davis, James Lofton,Greg Bell, Frank Reich, ANDRE REED, Pete Metzelaars, Don Beebe, Howard Ballard, Kent Hull, Jeff Wright, Cornelius Bennett, Darryl Talley, Nate Odomes, Mark Kelso)All superstars no, But all nice contributors to the only team in NFL history to go to 4 straight SBs. Then, he goes to an expansion team in Carolina who wants to win fast so he gives Dom Capers (Who I'm pretty sure will never be mentioned as a HOF coach)a team that competes for a championship and goes 12-4 in there 2nd SEASON. Finally he goes to a mess in Indy and takes Peyton over Ryan Leaf when talent scouts were split, Then he drafts "Edge" over Ricky Williams when all the so-called experts thought he was high on good stuff. He proceeds over the years to add Marvin Harrison, Tarik Glenn, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney, Mike Doss, Cato June, Bob Sanders, and Robert Mathis. With the building Polian has done in Indy he cannot be faulted for them not getting over the hump. In the first few years I thought it was the fault of Jim Mora(Playoffs! Playoffs!) who has NEVER won a playoff game. But, now I believe its Peyton's Dan Marino-Like way of falling short in the big game. New England is to Manning what Buffalo was to Marino. Does anyone agree? If my facts are a little off (which I don't think they are) I apologize but I'm in my early 20's and I tried to remember as accurately as possible without research. B-cuz I can't believe a misinformed Bills fan has the nerve to bash Polian(The best GM in Bills history since 1983 my birthyear)

What games are you reffering to that these three coaches were outcoached in?  :lol:

634936[/snapback]

They weren't outcoached, they outcoached Levy!

Jimmy Johnson twice in the Super Bowl

Joe Gibbs once in the Super Bowl

Bill Parcells once in the Super Bowl