Marv Levy - The most OVERRATED Hall of Fame

They weren't outcoached, they outcoached Levy!

Jimmy Johnson twice in the Super Bowl

Joe Gibbs once in the Super Bowl

Bill Parcells once in the Super Bowl

635093[/snapback]

Read the last sentence of your original post again:

If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony, then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

This didn't help you sound like you had a well-thought-through argument. I guess you mean "if outcoaching another coach was a felony," which, by the way, is a very strong image. I can almost see them in handcuffs. Well done!

I for one really don't care about Marv's coaching record. It was 10 years ago and means nothing to the 2006 Buffalo Bills. What I am concerned about is that the Bills didn't even look for a real GM. It was Marv all the way.

Looking over all the pro-Levy and anti-Levy posts I have yet to see anyone come up with any of Marv's qualifications as a GM. The question is simple. What qualifies Marv to be the Bills GM other then being Ralph's buddy?

Let me save you some time and post some of your responses.

"You hate old people"

"Marv's the greatest coach in Bills History"

"You don't know what your talking about, what makes you a football god"

"If you don't like Marv then you don't love the Bills".

If any one can come up with a actual response to why Marv shoudl be the GM I would be willing to listen.

I read the other thread that was posted about Marv ruining his legacy and just had to post this!

Levy had a miserable losing record as Coach of the Chiefs and was fired by Lamar Hunt because he couldn't turn the team around.  Enter the Bills with Gm Bill Polian at the helm, Polian and Levy had ties going back to the old USFL days with the Chicago Blitz and Polian decided to hire Levy because he wanted a smart coach (not necesarily a good Coach) that could steer the ship without screwing it up.  The Bills team that Levy Coached was so good that my next door neighbor (a mailman) could Coach the team.  Levy was just in the right place at the right time and was fortunate that the team was soo good that he made the "Hall" because of the teams accomplishments.  Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time.  A smart one at that.  But in the Big game (aka Super Bowl) his ability as a Coach was unmasked.  If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony,  then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

634823[/snapback]

Alright I am new so I am sure to get Blasted for my forth coming argument.

It is easy to say this guy is overrated when you havent done anything in pro football except watch the game. It was easy for Republicans to bash Clinton when he was in the White House, and it is easy for Democrats to bash Bush now. Its easy to be great at everything you do if your not trying to do great things. It is easy to complain about the O-zone layer depleation, and easy to get upset about the price of medical care. Its easy to say the kids today are lazy, and gas prices are to high. Its easy to blame the wealthy for all your problems, and to say only if.

The following comment is quoted and originally spoken by Teddy Roosevelt

" It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred with dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthsiams, the great devotions,who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst,if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who never known neither victory or defeat."

I read the other thread that was posted about Marv ruining his legacy and just had to post this!

Levy had a miserable losing record as Coach of the Chiefs and was fired by Lamar Hunt because he couldn't turn the team around.  Enter the Bills with Gm Bill Polian at the helm, Polian and Levy had ties going back to the old USFL days with the Chicago Blitz and Polian decided to hire Levy because he wanted a smart coach (not necesarily a good Coach) that could steer the ship without screwing it up.  The Bills team that Levy Coached was so good that my next door neighbor (a mailman) could Coach the team.  Levy was just in the right place at the right time and was fortunate that the team was soo good that he made the "Hall" because of the teams accomplishments.  Levy is nothing more than a great talking smart salesman that stepped in a pile of sh*% at the right time.  A smart one at that.  But in the Big game (aka Super Bowl) his ability as a Coach was unmasked.  If being severely outcoached by another Coach was a felony,  then Jimmy Johnson would have been charged with two counts, Joe Gibbs with one and Bill Parcells with another.

634823[/snapback]

OK, buh bye now......

Great post.  Marv got outhussled and out strategized in the four Super Bowls.  He was a terrible motivator, something that is necessary. 

635022[/snapback]

Terrible post....Marv was a terrible motivator? Right....he guided a team to 4 consecutive Super Bowl losses by sheer luck...really stupid comment...

I remember when Levy went to the Hall Of Fame. They interviewed a number of coaches, giving their accolades to Marv. I believe it was Joe Gibbs who said, "Going to four consecutive Super Bowls is an amazing achievment, win or lose. The fact that the Bills lost all four, in some ways, makes the achievment all the more remarkable, and speaks volumes about Marv Levy. Nowadays, a team goes to the Super Bowl, and loses, it is almost a given that they will have a rough year the next season. A lot of winners do, as well. To keep coming back year after year, determined to get back, that kind of determination takes rare focus. Marv Levy is an excellent leader of men..."

I for one really don't care about Marv's coaching record. It was 10 years ago and means nothing to the 2006 Buffalo Bills. What I am concerned about is that the Bills didn't even look for a real GM. It was Marv all the way. 

Looking over all the pro-Levy and anti-Levy posts I have yet to see anyone come up with any of Marv's qualifications as a GM. The question is simple. What qualifies Marv to be the Bills GM other then being Ralph's buddy?

"You hate old people"

If any one can come up with a actual response to why Marv shoudl be the GM I would be willing to listen.

635098[/snapback]

This is all going to work itself out in the wash this season. Up until now he hasn't done anything that reveals that he was some sort of great hire at GM.

Both Miami and the Jets seem to be moving forward while we're stuck here spinning our wheels pretending that we're going to be competitive this season. What sort of moron signs Royal to a $2 million per year deal!

Andre Davis? Yahoo!

Tripplett for the money he's getting had better turn to be better than Williams ever was.

"You hate old people"

635098[/snapback]

Marv qualifies as the GM, because the man who signs the checks hired him. What qualifies you to define what a good GM is.

I don't assume to know if Marv will be a good GM or not. but I'm willing to give him (or who ever was hired) a chance to prove himself.

"You hate old people"

635098[/snapback]

trol , see you

They weren't outcoached, they outcoached Levy!

Jimmy Johnson twice in the Super Bowl

Joe Gibbs once in the Super Bowl

Bill Parcells once in the Super Bowl

635093[/snapback]

Was he outcoached in his last 4 AFC championship games?

As for Superbowls - do you really think he had the better team in his last three?

Levy being hired as GM is the same as just about every other GM hired. He's a football guy. He's been around football for a very long time. People keep saying that he has been out of the game for 10 years, but that's not true. He hasn't been a coach for 10 years, but he has kept his roots in football through various outlets.

GM's know football. Now, you can have a GM that knows the business as well as the players and all of the other aspects, but in the Bills case Levy is strictly the personnel guy. And in that respect, I believe he's qualified. Note that "qualified" doesn't mean guaranteed success, just that he's qualified for the position.

Also compare to the numerous coaches throughout the league who have also been given GM responsibilities. While I never think that is a good idea (coaches should not be focusing on anything but game planning), it is the same kind of move.

In a round-a-bout way, that's also why I don't mind the Jauron move so much. When you look at the head coaching hires around the league (Jets, Packers, Lions, Raiders), Jauron at least stacks up. And we know that he and Levy get along and have similar philosophies. Hopefully that will allow Jauron to focus on coaching, while realizing he has a GM that will value his opinions and work on getting players he needs. (not just flashy types)

Hiring known entities is not always the way to go. There are few GM's in the league with the reputation as being a pure "GM" as Donahoe. How did that turn out??

Now, I'm sure you were willing to listen. If you are even remotely capable of responding with anything other than nonsense, I would be extraordinarily surprised.

Can you imagine if Jim Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and company actually called Marv out for going easy on them in camp and allowing them to party themselves sick during Super Bowl week?  They loved Marv because he let them run their own asylum.  Them blaming Marv would be like a talented but lazy boxer blaming his trainer for him being out of shape and not being able to go 12 rounds with his equal.

634837[/snapback]

badol, as perhaps one of the two or three best posters here, i have to chastise you for this exceptionally weak post. you think michael irvin, mark tuinei, nate newton, charles haley, etc. etc. weren't livin' it up during super bowl week in LA and ATL in '93 & '94??

Great post.  Marv got outhussled and out strategized in the four Super Bowls.  He was a terrible motivator, something that is necessary. 

But you are right.  He coasted on top talent that Polian handed to him and that he had little hand in assembling.  If he were as good as many think, he would have had better records in his last seasons as Bills coach and in KC.

635022[/snapback]

Tell the truth, you were not a Bills fan during the Levy era, either because you were too young to follow football, or just didn't care.

Now name this team, All-pro QB who calls his own plays, double-threat RB who is effective running and catching the ball, WR who can beat a team over the middle or deep; and a speedy DE who can dominate a game.

Is that the 90's Bills or the current Colts. Could be either. Which one has won the AFC four times? The one with Levy as its coach.

Making it to the SB 4 years in a row is not luck or a fluke; just ask Belichick, Noll, Landry, or Walsh.

And to the orginal idotic question of this idiotic thread, if Levy is the most overrated HOFer, what does that make Bud Grant?